1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to 1911s and see no reason my first one shouldn't be a good one. That being the case, can anyone suggest either a Les Baer SRP, Premier II Super Tac or an Ed Brown Special Forces pistol as that very special first 1911? I own several handguns in a variety of calibers, but all are revolvers. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
177 Posts
layvuz4, I bought my first LB a couple of months ago. After looking over the line up I went with the SRP w/ the 1.5" grouping finished in hard chrome. It never jams & always eats up the X ring. I don't particularily care for the Trijicon sights that it came with but I'll get that changed out easy enough.
Methinks the next one will be the Monolith w/ the 1.5".
I'm sure whichever one you go with, you'll be very pleased. This was probably my 5th or 6th 1911 & definitely one of the keepers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If "very special" to you would include a wooden display box, I'd say the SRP would be hard to beat. If the box doesn't flip any positive switches for ya, I would say that whichever of the guns you listed would qualify in most books as top-shelf. Some help I am huh...:biglaugh:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm new to 1911s and see no reason my first one shouldn't be a good one. That being the case, can anyone suggest either a Les Baer SRP, Premier II Super Tac or an Ed Brown Special Forces pistol as that very special first 1911? I own several handguns in a variety of calibers, but all are revolvers. Any ideas out there?
What do you intend to use it for, and do you want fixed sights or adjustable sights? Answer those two questions and I can be of more help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info you guys. You were all once where I am now. Good job to help the newbies. 7down, the S.R.P. is the direction i'm leaning towards. Grumbler, you're actually quite a bit of help and the "front sight focus" tag is far out. Paladin4415, thanks. I'm 61, and appreciate the appearance and feel of my guns as much as I do their function. Fixed sights are fine as that's just one less thing to worry about or break. Thanks again for posting.

·
Registered
265 Posts
While I like the SRP, I think you are paying for a lot of things you do not need. For a gun that is not going to see "Hard duty use", I think a blued finish instead of a coating is the way to go.
If I were you, I would order one custom made with exactly the features you want on it. For a fixed sight gun, I would start with a Custom Carry. You can leave off the front cocking serrations if you don't like the way they look. You can have it built with ambi or single side thumb safety. You can have them serrate the top of slide or the rear of the slide or both. Les will build any of his guns with fixed sights, so you have your choice of models. You can go with the Monolith or Monolith Heavyweight if want a different look. You can order it with no slide markings if you like the look of a smooth slide. With fixed sights you can get them with or without "night sights".
Make yourself a list of just how you want your pistol to look and order it. It will take awhile (16-20 weeks), but it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Okay, first off, GET THE BAER! I've seen a lot of Ed Browns, and while they're spectacular weapons I've seen a lot better fit and finish. Between the Super Tac and SRP, it just depends on whether you want combat sights or adjustible, but I'd get the SRP. This gun is Les' baby, and he spends extra time making each and every one PERFECT. That's next on my Baer wish list, although I can't imagine it being too much better than the TRS I have now....

·
Registered
365 Posts
You guys have me all fired up! I ordered an SRP with the 1.5" group, no front serrations, and mag chute a few weeks ago. It is due to arrive around the first of March and I am stoked! I will give a report ASAP. Safe shooting :rock:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Okay, first off, GET THE BAER! I've seen a lot of Ed Browns, and while they're spectacular weapons I've seen a lot better fit and finish. Between the Super Tac and SRP, it just depends on whether you want combat sights or adjustible, but I'd get the SRP. This gun is Les' baby, and he spends extra time making each and every one PERFECT. That's next on my Baer wish list, although I can't imagine it being too much better than the TRS I have now....

i DISAGREE, while I love Baer pistols, The Ed Browns fit and finish is the cats meow,

·
Registered
269 Posts
You guys have me all fired up! I ordered an SRP with the 1.5" group, no front serrations, and mag chute a few weeks ago. It is due to arrive around the first of March and I am stoked! I will give a report ASAP. Safe shooting :rock:

Congrats, you will love that gun!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
i DISAGREE, while I love Baer pistols, The Ed Browns fit and finish is the cats meow,
I just don't like the whole "rattles when you shake it" thing. Slide to frame is one thing, but when the BEAVERTAIL rattles.... you've lost me. I'm not saying I couldn't get over it, but I just don't think that should be an issue on a $2,000+ gun.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just don't like the whole "rattles when you shake it" thing. Slide to frame is one thing, but when the BEAVERTAIL rattles.... you've lost me. I'm not saying I couldn't get over it, but I just don't think that should be an issue on a $2,000+ gun.

You lost me, I have never seen a Beavertail loose or shake on a Brown pistol, at least not on the 2 that I own and all of the ones I have seen?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Maybe just the couple I've seen then, never mind.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
SRP is way to go

Last year I purchased a TRS and couldn't be happier. SRP appears to be next most logical choice - I was having trouble with the "box" issue, But my S&W 25-2 is never in its wooden box so who cares. PALADIN4415 - as for special orders LAYVU24 is in San Diego (a fellow Californian) and CA DOJ must approve any pistol sold in CA. As such only guns Baer can sell must be on "The Approved List". No special orders! As I understand it if we want Hard Chrome we must order a blue gun and then ship back to Les for Plating!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts