1911Forum banner

Les baer TR or Wilson Combat CQB?

5653 63
Ok, I have read many comments out there but can still not figure out where I want to spend my $2000 on. I thought I wanted a Kimber but there are just way too many problem stories I have read. I want a high quality gun that will last a lifetime with the proper care. After all the research I have come down to Thunder Ranch or CQB. Give me all your good and bad on each please. Just so you know, I have over 20 years of military handgun experience and I feel that I am a above average marksman. Thanks!!
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
848 Posts
Customer satisfaction

Wilson's built me a custom 1911 out of a pistol I supplied. They stand behind everything they do, even if its a stupid mistake on my part. No hard time, no hassle, they just take care of it.
The gun is a true work of art.
At a family reunion, when everyone got out their new guns, they all gathered around mine.

My next one is going to be a Baer Premier II.
Wait about 6 months and I'll let you know which one I like better.

· Registered
152 Posts
I have a friend who worked for Wilson in the near past. They have had a massive amount of "stuff" lately. All kinds of quality issues. He doesn't work for them anymore...though...for the time he did, it changed his mind on let's say certain things.

They will not admit it, but the do use Kimber frames. They weld over the grip safety disconnector hole. Then finish over it.

My experience with TR's has been stellar. I have three friends who have owned four Baer TR's between them. Nothing but good stuff.

Just my few cents....

Kevin

· Registered
848 Posts
They will not admit it, but the do use Kimber frames. They weld over the grip safety disconnector hole. Then finish over it.
Gunmetal: Really? I'll believe that when I see the Kimber truck at Wilsons loading dock, and their Master Award Winning Gunsmiths with a welder in their hand.
About a year ago their were similar post all over this forum, about the kind of work these guys did prior to leaving Wilsons. Me and my pistol lived through it, and I didnt post my grievances about their former employees.
Wilson's has one of the best reputations in the industry. Unless you personally see them doing it, its just rumor. Lets keep it clean, and speak from personal expierince.

· Registered
471 Posts
Well I don't have a TR but I do have a Cqb and a LB Premier II. The Wilson is more accurate and more pleasing to look at. I like the bear okay but still like even my Colt Gold Cup better. The baer is overly tight. I mean it's a struggle just to get the thing apart and it doesn't seem to do anything for the accuracy. There is no reason for a gun to be that tight imo. Also a minor thing but don't care much for the ultra fine lines on the front and rear cocking serrations on the LB. The finish on both have held up pretty well and both have been dependable. But to me it's a no contest to get the Wilson. I did pay only $1,350 for the LB where as the Cqb cost more but I feel the extra cost is worth it. Everyone knows Wilson has the best customer service in the business and although I have never used Les Baers I hear it's not the same.

As far as the "friend" that's saying stuff about Wilson that doesn't work there anymore; kind of make you wonder if he's at Nighthawk now.:rolleyes:

· Registered
152 Posts
special-ed said:
Gunmetal: Really? I'll believe that when I see the Kimber truck at Wilsons loading dock, and their Master Award Winning Gunsmiths with a welder in their hand.
About a year ago their were similar post all over this forum, about the kind of work these guys did prior to leaving Wilsons. Me and my pistol lived through it, and I didnt post my grievances about their former employees.
Wilson's has one of the best reputations in the industry. Unless you personally see them doing it, its just rumor. Lets keep it clean, and speak from personal expierince.

This is a close friend who does not lie. Believe what you want to...

I'm not into spreading rumors either... but if he says so I believe him 100%.

I trust him that much.

I don't own a Wilson, and I'm not airing grievances. Just letting you know what someone actually saw, not what someone told him. He saw it with his own two eyes while receiving a paycheck from Mr Bill himself.

I'm sure there are a lot of great Wilson's floating out there. But I was told some very nightmarish stories that were witnessed firsthand.

· Registered
848 Posts
I was told some very nightmarish stories that were witnessed firsthand.
I expierinced some very nighthawkish stories first hand. I know who screwed up my $2000 gun, and they no longer work there, just like your friend. The nightmares ended when they left.
As far as my expierincewith Wilson, they are top notch. fixed any problems the bad apples created without missing a beat.
My pistol looks better and shoots just as good as any I have seen.
Wilson has fixed any problems, even when it wasnt his fault.

I also plan to buy a Baer PremierII, just so i can see what a fine product they make. But until I do, I'll keep my opinions to myself.
(And my friend owns one that i shoot regularly)

Enjoy the forum, share your expiernces, avoid posting rumors. It's alot of fun.

· Registered
152 Posts
Ed - you got a great way with words...you should go on the road with your talent....

If you don't read well, I'll repeat - I am not spreading rumors, and by your assumptions - no he was not a gunsmith, but an employee who loves 1911's.

He personally saw these things happen and yes was employed during the "let's pack up and start Nighthawk" time frame.

Time after time the gunsmiths were ordered to cut corners due to time and money. And these pistols can back...some repeatly.

Bad finishing, bad fitting,etc....and several employees left due to this treatment to customers.

Like I said - sure there are a bunch of well built Wilson's out there, but I have no desire to own one now.

· Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Get the Baer, that's what I did after observing several examples of each at several schools I attended. No regrets.

· Registered
848 Posts
Gunmetal

Agreed:case closed on that matter.

I am confident MGMAN52 will make the right choice to suit his shooting needs. Sounds like Gunfighter45 knows them inside and out. Perhaps he could share his insight with MGMAN52 via the private message system.
Enjoy

· Banned
109 Posts
don't know if I'll help or not. I have both. I just bought the TRS and I love it. Yes, it's tight, very tight as a matter of fact. But that's why I bought it. Like I said I have a CQB and I love it too. But I wanted to see for myself if some of the crap said on this board was true. i.e. Baer's are too tight.. blah,blah, blah! I have been very impressed with the TRS. I will tell you that the Baer is more picky when it comes to mags, and it is fun to tear down. Something else to consider when you're reading all these posts is how well is the pistol maintained by the owner, do they shoot correctly, and how many rounds do they normally shoot, and what with. Are they using commercial hard ball good quality or not, or are they hand loading. All of that plays into how well the gun performs. With that said and with everyones opinion you really have to make up your mind for yourself. I had someone once tell me that the limited production smiths(Baer, Brown, Wilson, etc) all got their name somehow, and if they don't stand behind their product they won't be in business very much longer. So, make up your mind, and enjoy that heck out of your new 1911. Best of luck.

· Registered
171 Posts
special-ed said: "At a family reunion, when everyone got out their new guns, they all gathered around mine."

special-ed, can I become a member of your family???

I own a Wilson LW Protector full-size and a Baer. Both have gone back to the shop for work, some warranty, some not. Wilson's turn-around was between one and two weeks, depending on what was being done. Baer took two to three months. Both guns shoot great. I won't purchase another Baer solely because of the slow customer service. If my gun goes down I need it turned around asap. Wilson consistantly does that. Baer consistantly does not.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
Gunmetal said:
I have a friend who worked for Wilson in the near past. They have had a massive amount of "stuff" lately. All kinds of quality issues. He doesn't work for them anymore...though...for the time he did, it changed his mind on let's say certain things.

They will not admit it, but the do use Kimber frames.
Wilson never bought frames from Kimber directly. Both Kimber and Wilson used to get frames from Jerico. At some point Kimber bought Jerico, and I think they still own it (maybe partially) and still get their frames from them. Wilson started making their own frames back in 2002-2003. They used Caspian frames for their railed models for a couple of years but have recently dropped them when they switched to removable rail models.

As far as "stuff" and quality issues go – yes, they may have had some quality issues around the time when several employees left WC, but incidentally their QC picked up and "issues" disappeared right after that happened. I wonder why? :scratch:

· Registered
249 Posts
I have a Bear TRS, a Wilson CQB, and a Springfield Pro. I like all three and I've seen no important difference among them-having shot about 5000 rounds through each. That said, I have ended up using the TRS as my daily carry gun, and shooting the Wilson the most often (by a lot) as my practice and play gun. If I had to sell one, it would be the Springfield; if I could only keep one, it would be the TRS. I would have no specific reasons for this; its just a very subjective feeling that has evolved over the years. Again, there is no significant difference among the three. Look at the guns you're interested in; buy the one you like best; and be happy with it.

· Registered
297 Posts
I own a LB TRS and have shot a few thousand rounds through it. I love it, would never part with it (unless the liberal lefties pry it from my cold, dead hand.) It does fine with factory ammo, hand loads, and I only use Wilson mags, so I cant factor comparative opinion on magazines.

That said, I still plan to buy a Wilson CQB in a few months, have to get my pennies together.

Then I plan to consider an Ed Brown Executive, if he still makes them in a year or two.

Both Baer and Wilson make a quality product you will be happy with. It's just personal preference.

Be safe. Shoot well, and shoot often.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.