1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only a little short of making the decision to shell out the cash for Les Baer's Ultimate AR M4 model, but am still riding the fence a little. I'm not sure, considering the cost, if I'll get that much more than if I bought another manufacturers AR-15. I need a general use AR, good for short to medium range.

I've fired alot of AR's, though not a Les Baer and have never talked to anyone who owns or has fired one the Ultimates. I'm a little unsure and would benefit from anyone else's experience.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Hunter,

Study and think this one over really good IMHO.

I think you are paying out alot for a name to be honest.

ZM Weapons has some awesome stuff too....I look at it on the web and wonder why the price tag.

Fulton makes some great stuff too but this is all specialty stuff.....

You want a basic AR get you a Bushy Dissapator and another M4 Upper like RobertWink did.

You get a complete rifle, 2nd upper, 10 USGI 30's and 10 USGI 20's and a case of good ammo for the price of a Les Baer.

You also get a Mil Spec AR chambered in 5.56 and chrome lined chamber and bore.

This is like saying you wonder which basic Corvette to buy the first time out.....the one you can afford or should I go balls to the wall ZR-1 and be broke.

Just an oppinion and not bustin your chops in an way......See I have 5 AR's....3 Bushys and #4 was the ZR-1, had to have a Stoner M4....but that was #4 too.

Spend your money wisely and it will go far when talking AR's. Spend your money on a name and you may be sorry later.

Karsten

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a Les Baer 1911 and I love it. I have never had the opportunity to see one of their rifles, but I am sure the are truly a work of art.

That being said, I'm sure their are better deals out there. EGW sells AR's with guaranteed accuracy and made to your specifications for half of what a Baer will cost you. Rock River Arms also has very high quality rifles for under a grand.

I own a $650 DPMS that shoots under an inch with the right loads. I am happy with it, but it is not a Baer, EGW, or Rock River. There is something special involved with owning a custom rifle. The bottom line is to make sure you get what you want.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If you choose your components carefully, you should be able to get an AR15 that's just as accurate, and nicely finished for quite a bit less.

I'm not saying those aren't nice rifles, but I'd spend my money in another way. With the money you save, you can get some nice optics, accessories and plenty of ammo.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
The Baer is surely a great gun, but for a truely general use AR, I would think that a Bushmaster or Armalite would serve you better. They are a closer match to what the Marines are using for general use in Afganistan! Most of these cheaper guns will shoot in the 1.5 - 2.0 MOA with decent ammo. My Armalite shot 1.25 MOA with S&B. It now has a better barrel and shoots under 1 MOA. With a scope, reloads and some more shootin', I have no doubt I'm holding a .5 MOA gun.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that for general use in the M4 or A2 configuration, you may not be able to use all that being a Baer gives you. On the other hand, a Baer with it's tighter action may give you fits in terms of reliability if you stray too far from the gun range. There is a reason that special ops don't carry this kind of gun.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would think long and hard about the Baer rifle. I am sure it will be a quality firearm, but I have to question their service. I, personally speaking, will not purchase a firearm from them because of their ever growing bad reputation. I feel that if a firm is building something considered to be among the best, then the product should be backed up by customer service considered to be among the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts