1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is a great question that I wish I could answer. I have two Les Baer's, a PII w/1.5 and a Concept VI. Both are wonderful, accurate, reliable etc. etc.
But of late I have been unfaithful… I think about an Ed Brown and what the differences are.

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
I have a TRS Commanche and a Kobra Carry. The Baer is fairly new to me but I've put about 500 rounds through it without a hitch. The Brown also runs 100% and is egually accurate. Both guns also have the annoying habic of beaning me between the eyes with a spent brass every now and then. I think I may have cured the Brown of this but still working on the Baer. Both guns are a thing of beauty and I'm very happy with both and would trust my life with either. The Baer is the tightest gun I've ever owned. It surprises me that it runs as reliable as it does being that tight, but it does. The Brown is a lot easier to disassemble and clean. Here's a couple pics....

Edited to add;
I also wanted to mention that I bought both of these guns used and actually paid a little more for the Baer. However, both these pistols are about the same price if you look on the respective websites.

Ed Brown

Les Baer

·
Registered
171 Posts
Brown and Baer

As of yesterday I'm a dual owner...have and love my Kobra Carry for about a year now but just added the TRS Commanche By Baer yesterday...both are quality guns and acurate as hell. Just a bit more partial to the Kobra with the Bob tail, but thats all I can complain about.

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
The Baer is definetly tighter than the Brown.

In my opinion the Brown is completely "finished" The edges on the Baer are left sharp, not burrs, but sharp.The Browns edges are all taken down and polished inside and out. There is not a sharp edge to be found.

The blueing on the Barer is very nice. The blueing on the Brown is elegant. The feel of the Brown is hard to describe. It almost feels like Teflon.

The Baer is a great handgun. Reliable to the extreme. The Brown is as well. It is just finished that much more. Is it worth the extra 500 bucks ? That would be a personal choice.

Bob

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
rbert0005 said:
The Baer is definetly tighter than the Brown.

In my opinion the Brown is completely "finished" The edges on the Baer are left sharp, not burrs, but sharp.The Browns edges are all taken down and polished inside and out. There is not a sharp edge to be found.

The blueing on the Barer is very nice. The blueing on the Brown is elegant. The feel of the Brown is hard to describe. It almost feels like Teflon.

The Baer is a great handgun. Reliable to the extreme. The Brown is as well. It is just finished that much more. Is it worth the extra 500 bucks ? That would be a personal choice.

Bob

I dont think it is worth the extra $500.

Baers have all the edges broken to at least .030 max which I would not call sharp. From all the Baer pistols I have seen all the edges are broken in a very consistant manor which indicates precision in the machining process.

I would add Baers have a Kart chromoly Barrel which I prefer. Baer also has an accuracy spec. and I do not know if Brown can meet that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
SteveR917 said:
This is a great question that I wish I could answer. I have two Les Baer's, a PII w/1.5 and a Concept VI. Both are wonderful, accurate, reliable etc. etc.
But of late I have been unfaithful… I think about an Ed Brown and what the differences are.
You are not being unfaithful until you act, and that applies to a lot more than just guns.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
745 Posts
KC and P-II

I have one of each, as shown above, and which I prefer depends on what day it is. The KC is stainless, and it hits me in the face with a piece of brass now and then, as reported earlier. Makes me wonder if it is something about Commander sized pistols. The Les Baer on the other hand throws its brass waaaaayyy over to the right about 10 feet. No sharp edges on mine, I got the tactical package (dehorning) for about $25, that was the way Sporting Arms had ordered it in. the P-II is blue, which I like, the checkering on the strap is sharper feeling to the hand then the snakeskin treatment on the Kobra, the P-II has very sharp edged serrations on the front of the slide which tend to drag in my Sparks leather holster, probly need to break it in some more. But you can order a Baer without the front serrations, which I would recommend. Both have an ambi safety, which I could do without, not being a lefty. I think I like the looks of the blued Kobra Carry better than the stainless, but since I got the KC used, I took it as is. The trigger is lighter on my P-II, in fact I need to work on my trigger control, I get off some involuntary double taps from time to time. The KC was worked on by a smith, with trigger set at 4 lbs, it is nice and crisp. The safety was also worked on, and it is easier to use and has a crisper 'on-off' snap to it than the Baer. The Baer has loosened (if that is the word) up enough after 1500 rounds that you can rack it without being a weightlifter. Both have original issue checkered cocobolo grips, the Brown is less sharply checkered, and I like the feel of it. I am thinking about a smooth set of replacement grips for the Baer, with the 30 lpi checkering on the front and rear straps, I don't think I need grip panel checkering too.
So which one? I don't know, I don't want to get rid of either, in fact, I want a Thunder Ranch Comanche, and a Brown Executive Target, and maybe a 9mm Monolith too. Just need a ship to come in.:)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a TRS and have some shooting experience with a Ed Brown.

I had a chance to shoot a EB Kobra (5") for a few hours a Thunder Ranch, and I have to tell you it was the most accurate 1911 I have ever shot. That pistol, that day, whatever the case, I was in love with that pistol. I tried to get it away from the owner but he was keeping a close eye on me :p

My impression was the pistol felt smoother on its edges and it had an amazing trigger. At that time my TRS had the original grips and the EB felt thicker but nice throught the grip with its standard size grips. It was a S/S model and I liked the contrast of the EB finish and the sights. I still like a blued slide better. It ran wonderfully and looked well put together.
The TRS shoots just as good as the Kobra did but I felt I had to work for it a bit more:scratch:
I love my TRS and dont regret the purchase at all ! But.......... I have always wanted a 5" Kobra from that day on. You cant go wrong with either one .

·
Registered
759 Posts
...Lord, that's like trying to choose which of your kids you love more! Well, I guess some could make that distinction pretty quick...but me, I'm torn. I give the slightest edge in accuracy to my Baer. But I carry and trust both makers with my life.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is a Brown worth the extra cash, I say no. I own both love both and will part with neither. So what I'm saying is givin two guns with the same features you can't go wrong with either so why pay more then you must to get what you want.
See ya!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had both a Les Baer Stinger and an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. Still have the Ed Brown if that answers your question.

Looking at the wear marks inside the frame and rails it was the Ed Brown that had the most even marks (showing full fit with no high or low spots). I also like the feel of the Bobtail in my hand. The Les Baer is a fine gun but I felt the Ed Brown was a bit better. That said... I'm saving my pennies for a Les Baer SRP

Dave

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Camster said:
I am very pleased with my P2, but I'm curious if any Les Baer owners also have an Ed Brown-if they feel the Brown is worth the extra bucks.
Brown makes a fine custom pistol that I would be proud to own I just don't prefer the way he fits his grip safetys.

Brown pistols are so nice but the grip safety does not fit in with the total clean look of the rest of the package.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Sticksman said:
Is a Brown worth the extra cash, I say no. I own both love both and will part with neither. So what I'm saying is givin two guns with the same features you can't go wrong with either so why pay more then you must to get what you want.
See ya!!
Absolutely agreed!
I bought an EB Classic Custom (built on LB frame/slide) in 1998 and a 1.5" PII a year or two afterwards. EB fits in my hand better because of the higher BT grip safety. However, with overall features compared, I'd not spend extra money on EB guns with all the fact and knowledge that I have now.

Bottom line, you'll get everything you need on a LB gun, except the right to brag about owning an EB. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.