1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not trolling here... And not trying to start a Kimber v. Springfield debate, but...

I went to a gun show and several shops today. I was amazed at the strong opinions to be found in the "Kimber" camps and "Springfield" camps.

With one shop, I heard them sing the praises of Kimber. "Best quality out of the box gun on the market today" "Made in America" "Used by LAPD SWAT", etc. And as to Springfield -- "cheaply made" "made in Brazil", etc.

At the next shop, it was all Springfield. "Twice the gun for half the price of a Kimber" "Best customer service of any manufacturer" "used by the FBI", etc. To them, Kimber was way over-rated and overpriced.

This was repeated over and over. Each place tended to be for EITHER Kimber OR Springfield -- even though all would sell and stock both brands.

Again, I don't mean to start a debate -- I would buy either gun. But, it really reminds me of the fervor that people debate Chevy v. Ford at a stock car race or PC v. Mac at a computer show.

Pretty interesting.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
As far as Dealers go, often what they recommend just happens to coincide with either the brand they sell or what has the highest profit margin. In addition, many Dealers have little or no actual range time with the guns that they sell. With a few notable exceptions,such as the Dealers who particpate in this Forum, dealers are generally not the best source of objective info. If there is a problem with what you buy from them, few will even help to ship the gun to the manufacturer. In other words, its strictly "let the buyer beware", much the same as if you were buying a car. I've never heard of a Chevy dealership recommending a Ford.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Well let me end all of the suspense ;)
Chevy is better than ford
PC is better than a mac
and I think Kimber and SA are even steven ;) :)

·
Administrator
75,208 Posts
Had either pistol not received the endorsement of LAPD/FBI/DET/Power Rangers, they'd never be able to sell any guns! :eek:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The only difference between the opinion of a gun shop employee and a 14 year old who has read a lot of gun magazines is that the 14 year old is at least telling the truth as he knows it.
ML

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
But do they tell their customers about these problems before the customers buy the guns?

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's probably just personal opinion, dont sweat it. Listen to their reasons and decide, which it sounds like you're doing.

Some speculation...
Springfield gunshop guys: To alot of people a 1000 bucks on a gun is nothing, to alot of people that is several months or more of disposable income. Saving a couple hundred or more by buying a SA 1911 could be huge to them.

Kimber gunshop guys: Different perspective, probably thinking that all those cool mods on a 1000 gun dollar are "worth it" because by the time you mod up a stock gun, you'd spend more.

Remember from a retail perspective, buying and selling, a few bad products out thousands still sticks in your head. The more those products sell for the bigger the problems seem.
"$500 SA had to go back and SA got it back in a week." No problem, great CS!
"$1000 Kimber went back a week ago, and I got it back today." Damn ! for a grand, it shouldnt have to go back.

Around here, the GS guys love both SA, and Kimber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts