1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a visit to the range today, I started cleaning my new Kimber Pro Carry SLE. After removing the slide, I took the grip panels off and promptly knocked the frame off of my workbench onto the concrete floor in the garage. Damage was limited to a pretty good ding on the edge of the mag well and another on the right rear corner of the slide rail.

I took a fine stone and dressed the rough spots, reassembled the pistol and everything seemed to work thankfully, but it sure is hard to live with yourself after you do something like this to a gun you just purchased.

lesthemess

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
If it's been dropped, scratched, chipped, burnt, bent, scuffed, melted, warped, dinged, singed, broken, stripped, crushed, gouged, seized, or (insert your own worst blunder here), I've done it.

You got NOTHING on me, lesthemess.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I once banged the muzzle/slide of my BHP to the concrete table at my range, when I practiced a 2 shot drill (don't want to call it double tap.) Fortunately, it missed the front sight. The big dent is still there which decreases the value of the gun, of course. But it made me more careful after that.

Think about it again, it should have been banged on the front sight instead, so I'd just replace it and it would be easier to live with.

[This message has been edited by Wit (edited 04-16-2001).]

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
lesthemess,

I can sympathize with you on this one. Believe me, I've done much worse to my poor abused guns. Even though it wasn't my fault this time, at the range yesterday, I was shooting my HK91 when I heard a metallic clanging sound.

As I inspected the rifle, I noticed the ejection port buffer had totally snapped off, leaving a very deep nick along the receiver, as well as a few other superficial scratches. I wanted to scream! Totally ruined my range experience

·
Registered
251 Posts
once fired a string in slimey/weasel model 36 with the crane screw shooting loose on the 4th round - fifth round sent screw to screw heaven and the crane/cylinder downrange. new screw and locktight fixwed problem, scrapes on cylinder/crane are sitll there and give character to the ccw piece ( at least i say they do LOLOL )

[This message has been edited by jwp (edited 04-16-2001).]

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey, yours was an accident, plan and simple. There's nothing for you to kick yourself over.

On the other hand, I've inadvertantly damaged beautiful blonde wood rifle stocks and torn up bluing through sheer stupidity and boneheaded ignorance. I'd share the details, but I'm too embarrassed about my past mistakes to "air" them.

And, I don't want other members here to know how dumb I really am.

------------------
I wonder why we waste our lives here,
when we could run away to paradise.

But I am caught in some invisible vice
and I can't get away.

To live and die in L.A.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Johnny Fever (edited 04-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
All these letters make me feel a little better. I can't think of anything really horrible that I've done lately, but all it usually takes is for me to buy something new. I can have the most beat up and abused, firearm, tool, automobile,etc. and nothing ever happens to it, but let me buy something new and almost immediateley it has my mark on it. I guess it just wants to belong to my family of scratches, dents, and scars. I recently bought a new Springfield Champion and I inspected the one in the case very closely since it had been handled so much, but not a scratch, ding, or imperfection on it, my friend and salesman went back to get me a brand "Newie" in the box unit, still had the hang tags attached and all, didn't pay much attention but when I got home I noticed it had two little specks of the Matte finish missing! Oh well, I bought it for a shooter anyway. I'll just meditate on what a good friend told me years ago when I complained about this subject, he just said, " all those little bruises just give it character" It always makes me feel a little better when I think that to myself! All these little bruised and dinged pieces are just part of my family.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can't remember how many times or how badly I've done these type of things with my guns. I think it's part of the healing process. I can say I've NEVER had a accidental discharge or ruined a gun (thank God)so it can always be worse. Man I feel for ya....dang. Humans can be goofy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys,

Realizing I'm not the only one makes me feel a little better. Now let me tell you about butchering the finish on my Hi Power trying to get the trigger pin out....

lesthemess

·
Registered
308 Posts
been there and have done that, pistols I have been pretty lucky with but i have on a few occasions dropped something on a beautifull walnut stock on one of my rifles and put big dings in the wood, would have rather been punched by a prize fighter.

Also i bought a brande new Compound bow last year to give my old bow a rest and I tuned the bow and got it all setup and used a poundage scale to check the weight on the bow and had it slip off and cut my servings and string, brand new bow and i had to have it reserve and a new string installed, ah those are the days.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Dropping a gun is like an ND. There are two types of people in the world, those who have done it and those who will do it.

Don't fret too much if the damage was minimal. If you do it again, seriously reconsider who you go about doing your cleaning and other gun handling behavior.

Hey, it happens. It is unfortunate and should not have happened, but there was no real harm, so no real foul, and you can learn from the experience.

Me, I have learned not to drop the big parts, but have placed a rubber mat around my gun cleaning area for those just in case type problems. I have dropped a barrel on the mat and the mat was a good addition - no crown damage to the barrel although it hit on the muzzle. In short, I have compensated for my clumsiness by using a mat.

Oh, and 1 of 4 cleaning sessions, there is a good chance you can find me with a flashlight, on my hands and knees, searching for some tiny spring, firing pin stop, grip screw, or such that I have dropped. I do have a rule, however. If the part is less than $10 and I have a spare, I don't look for it for more than an hour. It will likely turn up later when I am searching for another dropped part.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hey Honey, come here and look at these. Maybe I'm not as big a dork as you thought I was...................................

·
Registered
941 Posts
I know one thing for sure...Don't even think about trying to catch a handgun you fumble fingered and dropped...Bad things can happen...Especially if its a glock...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts