1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Some of you guys have a pretty peculiar interpretation of a Saturday Night Special. If we're actually talking about guns to wear while taking a beautiful young woman out to a nice dinner then I wish to withdraw my submission immediately! :oops:
In my thinking, I'd immediately excluded any S&W. My recently acquired Charter Arms, so far, appears too high in quality. That left me with my 1st ever handgun, a Llama .357; my 1st automatics Hi-Points in .45ACP and 9x17 for myself and my wife respectively; and a couple marginal Keltecs ... near the borderline of too good to be SNSs.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Remember that "Saturday Night Special" is just a derogatory term coined by gun control groups, just like "assault weapon" is. In the 1960s there was a big spike in violent crimes, and it seemed most were being committed by perps wielding super-cheap imported handguns like the Rohm revolvers. One of the main goals behind the Gun Control Act in 1968 was to ban small, cheap handguns, aka "Saturday Night Specials" which is why we now have a "points" system to allow handguns into the country.

This is one example of a "Saturday Night Special" which was banned from importation under GCA '68. An FN "Baby Browning" .25 ACP, which while certainly small was not cheap and definitely not of low quality. It's a precision-machined weapon that's every bit as well-made as an FN Hi-Power or a Colt M1911... but because it was so small and tiny it wound up caught up in the anti-gunners' attempt to keep the cheap crappy handguns out of this country.

Other guns banned from import as "Saturday Night Specials" included the famous Walther PPK of James Bond fame. Yes kids, according the anti-gunners 007 carried a cheap SNS! :rolleyes:

As for gun buybacks, I am stoutly opposed to them on religious grounds and would rather smash my Jennings with a hammer and dispose of it myself than turn it in at a so-called "buyback" (a misnomer if there ever was because I never bought it from any of those turds). The term "gun buyback" is simply yet another anti-gun creation... in reality it's a voluntary surrender of one's firearms to the authorities.
2 -3yrs ago, there was a thread asking for help to ID just such a pistol; a Spanish-made clone of that one IIRC. As I recall '@magazineman' had an example of the Spanish clone, the model name was Castillian Spanish for "Cub" or "Pup" ... I only recognized it by seeing them*.

*- not generally a one for such small pistols, though I do have a couple that size.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Here's an opinion
Their version was in .44 ... which brought to mind my old Charter Arms. Even that one was too high quality for me to consider a SNS. And a .44 would need to be pretty darn cheap to be a SNS by my lights.

Reactions: ruffdup

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
The Saturday Night Specials of the 1960s and '70s were usually small caliber simply because they couldn't safely build a .38 Special or .380 out of pot metal. Then along came the California "Ring of Fire" companies like Jennings and Lorcin who didn't care if their guns fell apart and hurt the shooter when firing. The reason why those companies kept going bankrupt then re-forming under new names was because they were constantly being sued by injured owners of their firearms.

Remember it was anti-gun legislation that called the Baby Browning and Walther PPK Saturday Night Specials. Speaking of Glocks, when the first ones were imported into this country they all came with adjustable sights so that they would have enough "import points" to not be considered Saturday Night Specials. Once here in the USA Glock would remove those sights and put on fixed ones. Later when the Gen 3 models came out the thumb depressions and finger grooves qualified as "target grips", which added enough points that they no longer needed to import them with target sights.
The same kind of thing was done with other guns: import with a barrel long enough to gain the required points; replace the barrel with a 1 1/2" or 2" barrel; send the 3 - 4" barrel back to be imported installed in another pistol.

Introduce a distortion in the market: expect a distorted market in response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts