1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
75,928 Posts
Here's a real Saturday Night Special. A Jennings J-22 that I bought back in 1991 for only $55. As cheap as it is, it actually works pretty well. Most of them don't.
Material property Computer data storage Font Electric blue Fashion accessory

Font Line Art Material property Handwriting

As laughable as that group might look, these guns have horrible triggers and non-existent sights. The only impressive thing was that it got through all 50 rounds without a single malfunction.

·
Administrator
75,928 Posts
Some of you guys have a pretty peculiar interpretation of a Saturday Night Special. If we're actually talking about guns to wear while taking a beautiful young woman out to a nice dinner then I wish to withdraw my submission immediately! :oops:

·
Administrator
75,928 Posts
Remember that "Saturday Night Special" is just a derogatory term coined by gun control groups, just like "assault weapon" is. In the 1960s there was a big spike in violent crimes, and it seemed most were being committed by perps wielding super-cheap imported handguns like the Rohm revolvers. One of the main goals behind the Gun Control Act in 1968 was to ban small, cheap handguns, aka "Saturday Night Specials" which is why we now have a "points" system to allow handguns into the country.

This is one example of a "Saturday Night Special" which was banned from importation under GCA '68. An FN "Baby Browning" .25 ACP, which while certainly small was not cheap and definitely not of low quality. It's a precision-machined weapon that's every bit as well-made as an FN Hi-Power or a Colt M1911... but because it was so small and tiny it wound up caught up in the anti-gunners' attempt to keep the cheap crappy handguns out of this country.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Other guns banned from import as "Saturday Night Specials" included the famous Walther PPK of James Bond fame. Yes kids, according the anti-gunners 007 carried a cheap SNS! :rolleyes:

As for gun buybacks, I am stoutly opposed to them on religious grounds and would rather smash my Jennings with a hammer and dispose of it myself than turn it in at a so-called "buyback" (a misnomer if there ever was because I never bought it from any of those turds). The term "gun buyback" is simply yet another anti-gun creation... in reality it's a voluntary surrender of one's firearms to the authorities.

·
Administrator
75,928 Posts
Kel Tec P11 9mm and FEG PA63 9mm MAK. I'm not sure about the 'small caliber' requirement for 'Sat. nite specials'. A cheap .38 special would certainly qualify.
The Saturday Night Specials of the 1960s and '70s were usually small caliber simply because they couldn't safely build a .38 Special or .380 out of pot metal. Then along came the California "Ring of Fire" companies like Jennings and Lorcin who didn't care if their guns fell apart and hurt the shooter when firing. The reason why those companies kept going bankrupt then re-forming under new names was because they were constantly being sued by injured owners of their firearms.

A lot of these dont qualify as a SNS. I mean come on man. A Glock is definitely NOT an SNS and neither is a baby browning.
Remember it was anti-gun legislation that called the Baby Browning and Walther PPK Saturday Night Specials. Speaking of Glocks, when the first ones were imported into this country they all came with adjustable sights so that they would have enough "import points" to not be considered Saturday Night Specials. Once here in the USA Glock would remove those sights and put on fixed ones. Later when the Gen 3 models came out the thumb depressions and finger grooves qualified as "target grips", which added enough points that they no longer needed to import them with target sights.

Reactions: ruffdup

·
Administrator
75,928 Posts
Here's another submission or two. The Kel-Tec .32 on the left cost me around $180 new and would be considered a Saturday Night Special by many people as it's built like a cheap toy. Despite that it's been mostly reliable and I've carried it on many occasions. The Kahr P380 on the right was machined from forged and barstock parts and is supposed to have a build quality rivaling any Glock or SIG, and it cost me well over $600 new. It was supposed to become my primary carry, but instead has proven to be an unreliable piece of garbage ever since I bought it. If I had to defend myself with either I would grab the el cheapo Kel-Tec without any hesitation.
Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel Air gun

I also have this Smith & Wesson SD9VE which cost me only $249. Along with the Sigma series these budget-model Smiths are very popular with the criminal element due to their low price, and they tend to show up in nearly every big-city drug bust or gun buyback which I guess qualifies them as Saturday Night Specials. Mine has been 100% reliable and is currently serving as my home defense gun.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: Retired AF CE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts