1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
The term Saturday Night Specials, Suicide Special, ect were in use ever since I can remember and I’m 71. In fact some gun books even give a definition of the term. It was originally a term used to lump all the small cheap revolvers together. Before the Depression there were as many of these as snow flakes. Many were made by Iver Johnson & H&R. Under their own name and branded for others. There were also foreign imports.
Later, after WW2 the title was hung on the flood of cheap imports coming into the country. I remember in the late 50s going to County Seat with an Uncle. He stopped to BS the sheriff. Unc said he was looking for a good 22 pistol. The Sheriff pulled out lower drawer in file cabinet that was solid full of
pistols and revolvers. The reason I remember this is my Unc couldn’t find anything to his liking. Free guns and Unc was snob. Saturday Night Specials is what he called them.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Whenever I hear Saturday night special, I think of high points. Those are the new Saturday night specials.
Hmm. I dunno bout that. Sure, they're made of plastic and "pot metal". Ugly as sin and cheaper than dinner and a movie.
However, they're made in the USA and have outstanding customer support. My JHP .45 has been thru abt 1500 flawless rounds.(many shotshell rds) Perfect for those excursions which I'd rather not subject more expensive pistols to. I picked this one up at Academy a few years ago for $139. We'll include it here, anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
A lot of these dont qualify as a SNS. I mean come on man. A Glock is definitely NOT an SNS and neither is a baby browning.

A good rule of thumb is if the gone costs less than $150 new, it a SNS.

TAURUS
Raven
Jennings
Jaminez
HiPoint
llama

Are great examples of ****ty Ray Ray on the block guns.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Someone needs to make an official SNS definition and post it on this forum.

·
Registered
simplify
522 Posts
It has nice furniture
What is that?
Got a pic of the flip side?
If you are referring to my pic it is a RECK P8 25 acp built in Germany sometime after ww2 . Works perfectly if kept clean and lubed . Yes it pot metal and it was cheap I was offered 200.00 at the range a couple years ago I laughed its my pocket rocket .

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
yes, it counts. Taurus will ALWAYS qualify as saturday night specials ;)
Well dang. I guess that means I have four SNS. This one has about 1300rds thru it and is in my cc rotation. Lightweight, accurate enough and dependable. I did replace the recoil springs, firing pin and spring and the striker guide with Lakeline parts as soon as I got it. G2C 15+1
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

41 - 60 of 85 Posts