1911Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
At one time H&R revolvers were considered Saturday Night Spls. I like their top break revolvers, I have a long 999 sportsman revolver made in 1941, + these two pocket pistols, A 5 shot snub Defender in .38 S&W, + a Snubnose 9 shot 22lr revolver. All are accurate & well enough made - for me to treasure them.

Attachments

·
Administrator
75,920 Posts
Here's another submission or two. The Kel-Tec .32 on the left cost me around $180 new and would be considered a Saturday Night Special by many people as it's built like a cheap toy. Despite that it's been mostly reliable and I've carried it on many occasions. The Kahr P380 on the right was machined from forged and barstock parts and is supposed to have a build quality rivaling any Glock or SIG, and it cost me well over $600 new. It was supposed to become my primary carry, but instead has proven to be an unreliable piece of garbage ever since I bought it. If I had to defend myself with either I would grab the el cheapo Kel-Tec without any hesitation.
Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel Air gun

I also have this Smith & Wesson SD9VE which cost me only $249. Along with the Sigma series these budget-model Smiths are very popular with the criminal element due to their low price, and they tend to show up in nearly every big-city drug bust or gun buyback which I guess qualifies them as Saturday Night Specials. Mine has been 100% reliable and is currently serving as my home defense gun.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The term has been around a long long time.
One historian said it was originally a racial epithet, Black Town Saturday Night Special.
I'd heard that it had racist underpinnings, as well. There was (supposedly, it's all hearsay to me) a saying; "Black people have 8 days a week; Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Saturday night."

Larry

81 - 85 of 85 Posts