1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a month or so ago, i inquired as to which of two 1911s I should aqcuire. I have yet to purchase one, and since then, have decided to start from scratch in my search. I figure the best way is to ask those of you with more experience than myself, which wouldn't take much considering I'm only 20 and have only come into the 1911 scene within the past 10 months or so. I turn 21 in less than a month and that's kinda my D-day. I haven't been able to narrow down to a specific manufacturer, but I have compiled a list of criteria:

Government size
Stainless Steel
Series 70 (lack of firing pin block)
.45 ACP
Internal Extractor
Single sided safety
Beavertail grip safety
Short guide rod
Flat MSH

I know the last 4 can always be fairly easily altered, so those aren't necessarily a deal-breaker. I'm looking for a reliable weapon to carry once I obtain my permit, sometime around May '08. Any input would be greatly appreciated as i am a small fish in a huge pond.

P.S. The size of the government and being able to conceal it isn't really an issue as i reside in Minnesota and a winter coat is practically required 8 months out of the year.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Colt....Springer....STI....RIA....Wilson....Ed Brown....Baer....

S&W makes a solid weapon and they seem to have the external extractor down pat.

Sights on this weapon? GI, Mil Spec....other, either combat or target?

Good luck on the hunt.

Be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as sights go, they'd definately be a set of good night sights. again, those can be later changed. Been lookin fairly heavily at a Novak ghost tritium set. the figure-8 configuration, place one dot on the other and bang.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
andrewbilzen said:
As far as sights go, they'd definately be a set of good night sights. again, those can be later changed. Been lookin fairly heavily at a Novak ghost tritium set. the figure-8 configuration, place one dot on the other and bang.
I have figure-8 night sights (Heinie) on my STI......nice....very nice. :rock: The front night is set in a large white dot. Right nice for my old eyes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
been dreamin about 1911s for the better part of a year, and have been puttin away $50 per paycheck (100/month for the past 8 months). I figured spreadin the cost out like that wouldn't hurt as much as a sudden 1200 hit to the bank.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Wait for your tax return and pick up either a stainless Brown Kobra or stainless Wilson Protector. Either can be ordered with a short guide rod (I have both models and shorties on each). Both models are impeccable. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the Brown. Decide if you prefer checkering or snakeskin. You'll forget the extra cost in no time, but will appreciate the quality for life!
Tracy

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The Springfield TRP would be a great choice. As would the Wilson Protector However, you'd have to have the ambi safety removed on the SA. Just look around and see what you like. Its really hard to go wrong with anything from the "big names".

·
Administrator
73,854 Posts
Get a Colt stainless Series 70 for about $850, then have a professional add the beavertail when you get a chance. Otherwise, maybe you can still find a Colt Gunsite.

·
Registered
617 Posts
andrewbilzen said:
about 1200, unless i wait till march (tax return), then i could squeeze out about 1800-2000

Wait, and do it right.

If I were you, and I knew what I know, I would call up EGW and and see what I could get for $2000.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Given your criteria I'd recommend a Spingfield Loaded, then make any necessary changes. Just be sure to save enough money for your holster (s) and maybe a mag pouch. Definitely need some extra mags and depending upon your skill level and prior training you may want to take some classes. After a class or 2 and some IDPA matches you'll know exactly what changes, if any you need to make. If you need to make changes, SA's custom shop has a good reputation. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I was thinking about the TRP (one fine gun for the money) but also saw you wanted the single side safety.

With the money you are indicating I would also encourage going higher end like the Brown, Wilson, Baer, etc. My Wilson CQB is hands down one of the finest guns I have had the pleasure of handling. A well modded Stainless S&W with Black T finish is my second nicest piece to date.

Another option is starting with a solid frame/slide and having a good smith work you up exactly what you want.

Good luck and fine shooting to you with one fine weapon.....the 1911.

Edit:
gmcal posted (below) while I was writing. That is a good option. I have a Springer Loaded Stainless in 9mm that is one of the finest handling 1911's I own for the money I have in it. The Springer shop did some work on it (along with a frame to slide refit) and she is just a zinger from the "not super high end" of the spectrum. Working over a Loaded in .45 would be right up their alley.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Quality is good but I'd recommend getting 2 mediorce guns (or 1 mediorce gun and 1 high end gun) that are reliable and some good training instead of a high end gun. If you ever need to use it in defense it will be taken as evidence and it will likely be out of your possession for a long time if not indefinitely. Enter the back up gun configured exactly as your primary.

For a second 1911 (or likely third, fourth, fifth, and so on--just ask mitrod3 about that subject :) )get the high end one, if you desire. Just my opinion, feel free to ingore it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I pick Les Baer. Both of my carry guns are identical Kahr P9 + P9= entry level bear $ wise. Still the above post make sense especially if you attend high $ classes

·
Registered
552 Posts
Springfield.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I have owned lots of custom pistols from the nation's premier pistolsmiths/shops, and have run through Les Baer and Ed Brown, and Wilson Combat in the semi-custom. My daily carry gun is either a Colt Gunsite CCO or a Colt Gunsite Pistol, with either a Yost 1* Colt 1991A1 or one of my Wilson Combat pistols as a stand-in.

I would look hard for a Colt Series 70 stainless and send it to a top 'smith for some TLC. Better yet, get two and shoot one while the other is being tarted up. You'll have time to scrape up the money while its in the shop. Otherwise, a s/s Colt Gunsite Pistol for around $1300 - $1400, a pre-owned or new Wilson CQB, or an Ed Brown Special Forces or Kobra is do-able. You may as well order your leather rig(s) from Milt Sparks now, too. Good luck.
Regards,
Andy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts