1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Pizza Bob,

I must have missed that one ! When were they made ?
1985 and there was a blued version in 1983. The stainless is a 624 and the blued is a 24-3, both are shown in the picture in my OP. Here's the 4" blued .44 Spl...

They are N-frames. You could not get a six-shot cylinder chambered in a ,44 caliber to fit an L-frame. The largest six-shot L-frame would be chambered in .40 S&W and they used a titanium cylinder in that instance for the added strength. It was a model 646. They made a regular production version and a Performance Center version - total of both was less than 1000. Here is a regular production 646 (I used to use this for IDPA)...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
No.1 on my list of "Guns yer sorry ya sold!" :bawling: was a no-dash 696 I bought from a local shop that was closing. Bought it NIB for $359 otd.

But as my handle suggests , I'm a .41 Mag man. :rock: I'm glad Starline brought out .41 Special brass. I've been to ranges where they forbid ANY loads headstamped MAGNUM , and explaining light handloads didn't help. And I won a few bar bets with guys who swsore there was no such thing as a .41 Special.:biglaugh:

I was hoping Cimarron would offer a convertible .44 Special / .44-40 WCF in their stainless SAA but no dice , yet. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
most refer to dirty harry and the model 29. but in magnum force in the shooting range he tells the rookies he carries light specials in his 44. better control less recoil...like 357 with wadcutters lol. like my 624 like to find 2.5 inch barrel. although i carry the 4 inch concealed easily.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
The .44 Special was my go-to for Cowboy Action, used in OM Ruger Vaqueros that were chambered in .44 Mag.
Today, the S&W 696 gets the nod,, I think of it as a Model 60 on steroids, an easy to handle/easy to shoot well revolver that'll do just about anything I'll ever need.

·
Super Moderator
15,286 Posts
Sweet Roscoe! Love those Combat grips!!
Thanks, I really love this gun. It is one of the original 24-3 limited production 5,000 Lou Hortons with 3" barrel and Rosewood combat grips, bought in the early 80's. It shoots cast gas check 240 gr. slugs extremely well, and still sees range time 3 or 4 times a year. Use it for handgun classes as well. Still original everything it came with, even have the original tool packet and box it came with in storage. It is one of the easiest shooting guns for my 5'1" wife to shoot, and even at our age she's still pretty petite. My teenage granddaughter enjoys it as well.

Reactions: bmcgilvray and VF-1

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I love my .44s, and I’ll confess I prefer to shoot the lighter loads rather than the magnums.

I found Ventura Munitions who sells .44 Russian in FMJ. Perfect for indoor ranges that won’t let you shoot magnums or lead bullets. It’s like .44 short!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It looks like John Taffin has taken over some minds here. i join the gunners that rued the day they sold their Bulldog. We love the .44 special, especially in our Colt Kodiak. And it is a great steppingstone to get family and friends ushered into the magnum handgunning world. But the best is .44 specials out of a .44 mag lever action rifle. I can’t believe nobody else besides Charter Arms is making a .44 special 5-shot hideout gun. Below is our bulldog. 100 lbs of piss and vinegar.
image.jpg

·
Registered
895 Posts
I like this thread. Some of you guys have great stuff here. My interest in 44 Special right now is in maybe selling my Glock 42 and getting a Charter Arms Bulldog. I already have several little guns that can effectively fill that general niche but the Bulldog has appeal. My mother has an 80s vintage Charter Arms 38 Special, it is not as aesthetically pleasing or refined as my Detective Special or J frames but it is a good little gun. As someone stated earlier in this thread, no one else fills that little Bulldog niche.
And when I retire next year I can reload 180 or 200 grain wadcutters to ~ 800 fps. I have always been okay with 185 grain JHPs in an ACP so the 180 to 200 would suit me fine in a Bulldog. They 130 grain HSTs in my 642 may expand but a 180 to 200 grain wadcutter won't shrink.

Admins/Mods can this thread be pinned?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
S&W 324NG (Night Guard) 44 Spl.
That would have been nice, but there was no 324 Night Guard. The pictures you posted are of a 396 Night Guard - a 5-shot, L-frame revolver, part of the lightweight family like the two bottom guns in the picture in the OP. The 396NG however, used a SS cylinder and the whole gun was finished with PVD black finish. I have acquired one of those since the original picture was taken. Just need a 696 now.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
214 Posts
I owned the S&W 696 and 624 snub, but sold them when collector prices went crazy. I missed not having a 44 Special revolver so I recently picked up the Ruger GP100 3" ... Perfect wheel gun to handle a variety of 44 Special loads.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
There have been several threads lately on the .44 Magnum, most notably centered around the Models 29 and 629 by S&W. I know that people enjoy being able to shoot both .44 Specials and Magnums, but in reality those guns probably see far more lightly loaded magnums or .44 Special loadings.

That being the case, there are a whole bunch of firearms out there chambered specifically for the .44 Special and they are a ball to shoot. Modern firearms can handle loads approaching magnum velocities, but that is missing the point. The most fun can be had using light to medium loadings. My favorite comes from Skeeter Skelton: 7.5 grains of Unique under a 250 gr Keith style (SWC) cast bullet. Fired thousands of these and won many turkeys and hams at local shoots.

So once your love affair of getting beaten with magnum loads abates, check out offerings in .44 S&W Special.

Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: I have a similar love for revolvers chambered in .45 ACP. Happiness is a Big Bore S&W revolver. :)
Pretty!

My only .44spl was a contigency CCW. It used to be my driving pistol. Chosen for ballistics very similar to my walking-around CCW caliber: .45ACP. It was a Charter Arms "Bulldog": alloy frame; 5rds.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That would have been nice, but there was no 324 Night Guard. The pictures you posted are of a 396 Night Guard - a 5-shot, L-frame revolver, part of the lightweight family like the two bottom guns in the picture in the OP. The 396NG however, used a SS cylinder and the whole gun was finished with PVD black finish. I have acquired one of those since the original picture was taken. Just need a 696 now.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Thanks for the clarification, Bob. Clearly a case of “old timers disease.” I bought her new about 10 years ago. With the scandium frame, she packs nicely in her Milt Sparks VMII Holster.

·
Registered
15,746 Posts
I am so glad I bought a new 696 when they first hit the stores in 1996. It is the finest carry revolver I have owned or fired and it's going to stay in my collection even though guys keep trying to buy it from me constantly. With a 200 gr. Speer hollowpoint at 900 fps. it gets the job done nicely and you can shoot it all day. The .44 Spl. cartridge was a very good idea in 1907 and still is today. If you can handload the .44 Spl. it will do anything.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
I am so glad I bought a new 696 when they first hit the stores in 1996. It is the finest carry revolver I have owned or fired and it's going to stay in my collection even though guys keep trying to buy it from me constantly. With a 200 gr. Speer hollowpoint at 900 fps. it gets the job done nicely and you can shoot it all day. The .44 Spl. cartridge was a very good idea in 1907 and still is today. If you can handload the .44 Spl. it will do anything.
^^^ this ^^^

Between you and Elmer Keith there must be something to it.

Don't know how long since I've shot a .44spl revolver. That and .44Rem. Magnum are why I bought a press ... that occupies space on my bench. Dang!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Two handguns I'd never saw in CA in over +25 years here were the S&W 696 and the Charter Arms Bulldog. I built up a pretty good relationship with one of the LGS and one day while cruising the back room, seeing what was yet to go out sat both a 696 "no dash" and a Charter Arms Bulldog in ANIB shape. Took them both right away. Talk about opposites. The 696 is sturdy as heck. It wears K frame round butt service stocks and a BK grip adapter. To tell you the truth, I was a bit more jazzed about finding the Charter Arms. Wasn't all that well antiquated with the 696. Very comfortable to shoot.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts