1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time for another picture thread. This time, let's see some old Colts, ones made before 1950. Starting off is a 1927-vintage .45 Government Model:

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome gun and pics, 230fmj. It's good that your post immediately followed mine, which makes it a lot easier to see the differences between a typical pre-war and post-war Colt. :cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts

Colt Commando in .38spl from 1942 on top and a Police Special Positive in .38spl from 1917 on the bottom

The Commando needs some timing work but is in pretty good shape finish wise. The PPS has very poor finish. it was my great-grandfather's when he was a sheriff deputy in the hills of NW Tennessee...

david

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, only two people on the forum own older 1911 Colts, and one a couple of revolvers? C'mon, let's see some more 1911's, some Pocket Hammerless, some Single Action Army's..... anything made before 1950 or thereabouts.

Let's start reminding Colt of what they used to be capable of! Maybe it'll inspire someone there to try being the leader in handguns again. :rock:

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SKSFreak said:
How much would one have to pay to get a piece like that, $3000? $4000, or more.
It wouldn't surprise me. I paid $1100 for it about five years ago, and at the time a nice pre-war National Match was about $4000. Now the same National Match would be over $10,000. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the one I found for sale for $4000 a few years ago. At the time I couldn't justify blowing dough that much on a single firearm, but the prices of early Colts has just gone crazy in the past couple of years.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Colt 1917 commercial

Unfortunately, the original owner sanded some of the surface rust:scratch:
Does these look original to you guys? I don't know much about the old colts so pls let me know more about what i have. How much do you think is the value or this gun at this condition? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jaguar said:
Colt 1917 commercial

Unfortunately, the original owner sanded some of the surface rust:scratch:
Does these look original to you guys? I don't know much about the old colts so pls let me know more about what i have. How much do you think is the value or this gun at this condition? Thanks
I think it would be safe to say, that your Colt could be refinished without killing its exisiting value.

·
Registered
619 Posts
38 Super

Bought this at the local (older)Gander Mtn a couple years ago. I had some buyers remorse initially, but I got over that. Love the bluing, and its a good shooter. Recently was talking to a salesman at the gun counter of the "new" style Gander and he was a little jealous to see it go that cheap.:p

Post-war, 1949 vintage, no box or papers, and only one original mag.

Good Luck,
ss-gar

Attachments

·
Administrator
79,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There you go again, teasing me with your Thompsons. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.