1911Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1666 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I finally got around to making me something a little more sturdy. 3/4" plywood sitting on a 2x6 on the front supported by a 2x4 sides and mounted to the studs in the wall with 4x4 legs screwed into the concrete floor. Currently have my LNL AP bolted onto it and I C clamp my LCT to it when I need to use it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I finally got around to making me something a little more sturdy. 3/4" plywood sitting on a 2x6 on the front supported by a 2x4 sides and mounted to the studs in the wall with 4x4 legs screwed into the concrete floor. Currently have my LNL AP bolted onto it and I C clamp my LCT to it when I need to use it.

That bench should work fine, BUT the blue bullets made on a red press won't..!!!

Where is your pride?? :D

Just kidding...
I really like the lights, they help a lot don't they..!!

Don2

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
That bench should work fine, BUT the blue bullets made on a red press won't..!!!

Where is your pride?? :D

Just kidding...
I really like the lights, they help a lot don't they..!!

Don2
Ha! Funny part is I am not a big fan of the color red!!

I should have bought one of those lights from the get go.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just got this bench from HF. Was very surprised how sturdy it is for the money.
Mounting to the studs tomorrow and finalizing press placement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I really enjoy looking at these reloading setups. From the simple benches, to the full reloading rooms, there seems to always be something that can be learned from the setups of others.

Once I get my room organized (recently moved), I'll take some photos as my contribution to the thread.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I don't see a single vise ;)
I left my small 3" vise attached to my old bench top, the shelving unit to the right!:eek:

I didn't want to crowd the front of my bench, as I use it for other things besides reloading..

I am about to get started on a dedicated reloading room in my attic, it will allow me to tie into the central heat & air and have a dedicated place for all my stuff!!:rock:

·
Registered
115 Posts
To those of you who also load in a spare bedroom or in a basement room that is carpeted, do you have any stability problems if the bench in secured to the wall studs but not to the floor? Building a bench this weekend out of 4x4 legs, 2x6 frame support for a solid 1 3/4" thick door for a top. It will be secured to wall behind. Floor is carpeted.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I, too used the 2x4 basics kit. Since this is an all purpose bench I made it a full 8' long and 3' deep.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
To those of you who also load in a spare bedroom or in a basement room that is carpeted, do you have any stability problems if the bench in secured to the wall studs but not to the floor? Building a bench this weekend out of 4x4 legs, 2x6 frame support for a solid 1 3/4" thick door for a top. It will be secured to wall behind. Floor is carpeted.
My bench isn't secured or bolted to the floor or the wall.

All the bullets on the bottom shelf seem to hold it in place just fine.

Post #1157 on page 47 of this thread is mine.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Nice setup. Bullets and brass will be on my bottom shelf also. Thanks for the reply.

J.
When I built mine, I used a bunch of scrap lumber I had around.

The top is 3/4" plywood. The frame is 4x4 legs and 2x4 framing. When I'd screwed the plywood down to the top frame, I stood the bench upside down and then cut 2x4's to length and screwed one board at a time, building that extra thickness about 3/4's of the way across, using deck screws to fasten each one to the prior one.

By doing that, I have a nice thick heavy top that I can screw lag bolts down into and have plenty of depth for a good strong purchase when the lag bolts holding the presses or Lubri-sizer are cranked down.

The bottom shelf is 3/4" plywood and has 2x4 cross frames every 12" for strength. Currently, there's about 10,000 200gr .45acp lswc's, 2000 230gr .45 fmj's, 1000 .44 240gr lrfn's, 5000 120gr 9mm lrn's and 1000 155gr .30cal jsp's on that bottom shelf.

So far, the bench has never moved when I'm loading or when I'm lubri-sizing.

I had an extra gallon of Behr Black Satin Primer/Paint left from painting the shelving unit so that's why the loading bench is black.

Has made for a really nice bench and made it all out of lumber I already had.

The Craftsman bench has a stainless top on it and works great for cleaning firearms on.

For little stuff, I have a lighted magnifying glass on an extension arm and a small chinese made vise with a piece of 3/8's leather to keep the vise jaws from scarring anything clamped into it.

You'll have to post pic's when you get yours done so we can envy your new setup.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Three Year Project Finished

These are photos from my loading room at my compound on high ground and off grid....notice that it overlooks my deer feeder and it also serves as my deer stand. This was a three year project to get it like I wanted. The counter top has a 3/4 inch thick white polymer (like a cutting board) and has been bolted and dovetailed to accept different loading tools, ie; Rock Chucker, powder measures, case trimmers, etc. Each is bolted to it's own base and just slides into the dovetail. Seems to work well.

Attachments

1301 - 1320 of 1666 Posts