1911Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1666 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
We're settling into a new home and I managed to grab a section of the basement for my relocated bench.
Reloading on the left, cleaning on the right with plenty of storage underneath and on shelves. Storage for less frequently used and bulk items in another area.
And light, LOTS of LIGHT

·
Registered
210 Posts
I plan to convert a spare bedroom into my reloading room. Do you think you could come t Dayton, OH and engineer it for me?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We're settling into a new home and I managed to grab a section of the basement for my relocated bench.
Reloading on the left, cleaning on the right with plenty of storage underneath and on shelves. Storage for less frequently used and bulk items in another area.
And light, LOTS of LIGHT

EJC just enclose this reloading/cleaning area and make a proper gun room.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Y'alls need to learn how to reduce the size of your pictures before you post them on a forum.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My bench is still a work in progress. It is in a small room and space is at a premium so I am always looking for ways to use space more efficiently.

I use cabinets with stainless doors then use the doors to keep notes while I work; using a grease pencil to write on the stainless. I moved all my dies from boxes to drawers, this does a couple of things for me. Always seemed like the dies I wanted were on the bottom of a stack so now in the drawers they are all always accessible. Also in the drawers with the dies I keep shell holders, factory crimp dies, case gauges, trimmers if I have dedicated ones for the caliber and anything else needed. Ammo gets stored under the bench in 50cal ammo cans. Components are stored in cabinets as are cleaning supplies etc.

EDIT: no matter how I edit these files I can't seem to get the pictures rotated correctly.

Attachments

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
210 Posts
After many months of pondering and wishing and hoping, I finally cleaned up the floor, temporary refinish until funds allow for a better job, and assembled my Rural King workbench. Pardon the terrible paint job...I couldn’t afford to do that, either, so I’ll have to live with it for now. Perhaps I’ll change everything over to Lyman so it all blends in well. For now, I believe I have room to mount my Hornady LnL Classic, as well as my new Lyman All American 8 turret. So pleased with the height of this bench, too. Maybe this will be easier on my back.

I’m thinking about applying a couple of coats of polyurethane before I start mounting anything to it.

The height looks perfect for standing or sitting. I have a stool that I’ve been using with my current Workmate bench and it’s just a bit tall, even at the lowest position. I’d really like to be able to stand when forming cut 223 into 300 BLK. In any event, I’ve got a way to go...but I’m heading in the right direction.

I bought a Hornady Quick Detach Mounting Plate system along with an extra plate. I can’t wait to get that set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Really starting to come together. Tried out the Lyman turret while I was at it. Decapped about 800 9mm, 43 .300 BLK, 34 .223, and a handful of .380 ACP. Unboxed my new Hornady Balance Beam Scale, mounted my Hornady L-n-L classic onto its own mounting plate, adopted a spare bookcase to hold powder and primers. Lighting remains an issue until I can get an overhead light and ceiling fan installed. I’m thinking I need a pegboard backing, both to to cover the wall scuff, as well as to give me some tool storage, although the 3 accessible drawers will work as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay. Here goes. Don't tell my wife about this post. She knows this stuff is there, but has no idea what I have invested. 🤣

I think I may have posted my original setup several years ago before we moved.

Now I have a whole third car garage dedicated to my reloading, gun smithing, and general man cave type stuff. In fact when we moved a couple years a third car garage was prerequisite in homes we looked at. And yes, I can still park my full size F150 and Honda minivan in the garage. A garage my truck would fit in was also a must in the Arizona heat.

This setup has undergone many iterations over the years depending on space and money, but has been in the current setup for the better part of the last two years and probably is where it will stay till someday we move again.

My bench started as a Costco special. I think I paid about $300 for it on sale many many moons ago. It was a smoking deal. I thought about building a bench initially, but I couldn't even come close to building one of this quality for that price. The top is butcher block an it weights several hundred pounds. The bench is on wheels and I keep it backed up the 3rd garage door. Then I have two heavy duty steel 5 rack shelves on each side (from Home Depot). I think each shelf holds something ridiculous like 800 pounds. Which is good, because I have LOTS of powders, projectiles, and mucho other crap on them.

I reload on all high volume stuff on the 650 and do all load development and "precision" rifle stuff on the 550. I have a Lee single stage for collet bullet puller, depriming, etc

The two main presses are mounted to smaller pieces of butcher block, and all butch block pieces are mounted to the table flush Rockler T-Tracks rail kits so I can move the presses around and take them off to leave a flat work surface. I keep all unsorted and unprocessed brass in the 5 gallon buckets to the left. I keep all sorted, and / or processed brass in plastic containers and shoe bins I got at Wally World.

The 650 is mounted to a strong mount and the 550 is mounted to an Inline Fabrication Quick Change plate and mount. My Lee single stage, Dillon Super Swage, Hornady powder measure stand, and various other items are mounted to Inline quick change plate and secured to the back of the bench via Inlines storage system.

Everything related to reloading and shooting is on / under the two large steel shelves, or in the big Home Depot tool box. All pistol powder and projectiles are on one side and the rifle stuff is on the other.

I live in the desert southwest so I also decided to insulate the whole garage and put in a min split AC/Heat pump unit. It's amazing to be able to work in the garage all summer when it's a 110º outside and too hot to do anything anyway. I also installed two large exhaust fans to suck dust and fumes when needed. I do a lot of my own cerakote and duracoat and it's nice to be able to paint in the garage with the door closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
EF97C722-830C-412D-94AB-0570170C1750.jpeg

106C8E23-D092-46C4-9FB3-FF94D198B465.jpeg Here’s my setup in a detached, 10X14 building with heat and lights.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Nice Brad....

View attachment 572718

View attachment 572720 Here’s my setup in a detached, 10X14 building with heat and lights.
Looks the same as when you showed me on our visit. You need to come out this way and get mine to look like that!

Now that I'm not shooting two matches every week maybe I'll have time to find the top of mine too!

Need any more brass?

All the best to you and your lovely wife in 2020.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK, I just built my first ever reloading bench. Just starting putting things on it etc...

Have some top shelving going on each side. So still not complete! But it's in the house! I have a "My Room" in the house. So it came in here!

8' long and top is 30" deep with 18" shelving underneath to not bust your shins and knees.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pics of my stuff. Every nook & cranny filled.
Reload for BR rifle, hunting rifle, AR15, 5 gauges of shotshell, progressive pistol. If I won the lottery nothing would change other than the room the stuff is in.
Very happy to have accumulated the tools, supplies, and knowledge I have to produce excellent quality ammo.

Attachments

1621 - 1640 of 1666 Posts