1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a case of the wants for a Remington 700 in a bad way. The soonest I might be able to get one is tax returns and even that won't be enough for a scope, I'll have to save up for my Nightforce NXS. :biglaugh:

I'm deciding between the LTR, P, Alaskan Ti, XCR Compact Tactical (it looks basically like an LTR but with a green stock...not sure if that's the only difference), Mountain LSS.

Caliber will be 7.62/ .308. My uses will be target shooting, hiking (not hunting, I'm an animal lover:biglaugh:), and fondling (don't kid yourself, we all do it). I'm an LEO but realistically even if I ever became a sniper on the SWAT team they wouldn't let me use my own rifle so the "work excuse" just doesn't cut it.

As much as I love the looks of an M24/ M40 with a great paint job, I could easily fall in love with a beautiful custom wood stock and a stainless barrel. :rock:

So, until the day comes when I can buy one...please help me live vicariously by posting pics of your 700's. :rock:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I suppose I can start it off... :)

First is my .223 VSF w/ Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40

Next is my 700P in .308 with Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NPR-1

MOA based NPR-1 reticle

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Huh, I seemed to have forgotten one of my 700s...

My Alaskan Ti clone:
CDL 30-06 Stainless fluted, B&C stock, with Leupold VX-II

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! :rock: Please keep them coming.

40dcoe, that is a great looking old school rifle. :)

DirtyRod, nice looking gun. I'm not too familiar with aftermarket stocks so I checked out Boyds and they have some great looking stocks. I came across this site a while ago:
http://www.accurateinnovations.com/Products.html
and they look like they have some great looking stocks as well.

Black Majik, awesome photos as usual. I'd expect nothing less from you by now. :biglaugh: That Alaskan Ti clone of yours is a thing of beauty (not that your others are ugly but wow!). :rock:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Troll,

While I adore my 700PSS (manufactured back in 82) take a look at Surgeon Rifles, namely the Remedy. .308 is soft shooting, but I'm now considering a .338 Lapua Magnum for the 1500 yard shots. Good hunting (bad guys that is)and stay safe.

700PSS
HS Precision stock and DBM.
Leupold 4.5x14x50 LRT Scope

Attachments

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I bought this old 700 for 200 bucks and refinnished it myself .for the price of a can of linseed oil

·
Registered
865 Posts

Rem 700 SPS in .308 26" barrel
Bell & Carson Stock
Nikon Monarch X, 2.5-10x 44
IOR Rings & Bases
Timney Trigger
Bolt work by Kampfield
Tacops Cheekpad - Black

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
My long range coyote slaying machine.

R700
6-284
Lilja barrel
S&B 5-25
Jewell Trigger

My buddy Justin using my 6-284 to shoot at a 6 inch steel plate 500-600 yards away at a match at NRA Whittington Center, Raton NM earlier this year.

·
Registered
16 Posts

remington 700 vtr .308, bought it last week in od green since i couldn't find the desert camo in .308 locally. then did some pinestraw camo on. need to find a 1 piece scope mount and some better rings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just seems like a 1 piece would mount up a little more square and have better repeatability. i've even seen a few that have the mount and rings as all one piece so there are fewer potential moving parts.

opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I've read a lot of 1pc vs 2pc posts but I haven't seen a post from anyone, other than those using lower end equipment, that have had issues with ring alignment using a 2 pc base. I am upgrading to a 20moa base so I spent the last week reading up on the differences and eventually went with a 1 piece Mark IV but I have no doubt that the 2pc Mark IV would have been fine.

I was just wondering what your reasoning was.

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
Why are you switching from a 2 to a 1 piece mount?
More room to move rings around instead of being locked in to two very small areas.

And if you re-tap the holes to a beefier screw and bed the base, you *might* gain a touch of stiffness in the action.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
More room to move rings around instead of being locked in to two very small areas.

And if you re-tap the holes to a beefier screw and bed the base, you *might* gain a touch of stiffness in the action.
Interesting. There was an argument .... er discussion last night on Snipers Hyde on whether the scope and base "could" or "should" stiffen the action.

I know I would love to move my current scope back about 1/4" but the rear ring prevents it. Hopefully the Mark 4 1 piece I just bought will allow it.

thnx

·
Registered
865 Posts
DirtyRod - Would an extended front like IOR I use help you at all with moving the scope forward? Mine's up a few posts.

I also read up on the topic on Sniper Central. What I walked away with is it's more a matter of the quality of the Base & Rings and of course the mount on the rifle (Screw hole alingment) that weither you use 1 or 2 pc.

That said, I have big fat clumsy fingers, the two pc is just easiry for me to use.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts