1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not very. I own 3 mil spec 1911's and i've never had it once. slide bite once. never hammer. Only thing i could see is very chunky hands may have an issue. but shooter awareness should combat that :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you like a high grip you're prolly gonna get bit. Not to mention how plain incomfortable the mil-spec grip safety is when shooting with a high grip.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you like a high grip you're prolly gonna get bit. Not to mention how plain incomfortable the mil-spec grip safety is when shooting with a high grip.
True. However for those who suffer this, they can easily file down the back side of the hammer spur gently, which will reduce this greatly. *unless you are terrified of modifying a original, then dont!*

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
When I shoot my WWI Colt, I don't get bit, as in pinched between the hammer and the grip safety, but the hammer does hit the web of my hand. After a couple hundred rounds, there's a red mark but it doesn't hurt.

Tom

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hammer bite? Nah not a big risk. Grip safety bite? Now we are talking.

I have a scar on my shooting hand, right in the web where the top of the grip safety on my RIA GI just so happens to sit. Now I like a fairly high ride grip even on that 1911, and I did shoot 800 rounds that day, a majority threw that gun. To be fair its not like it drew blood. It cut only a few layers off, just enough to give me a scar and to make my hand sting a wee bit.

1918 with a high grip and some good ole meat paws and I can maybe see some hammer bite.

-Eric

·
Registered
23,398 Posts
I am not subject to hammer bite but find a beavertail helpful in getting a good grip and draw, and it spreads the recoil a bit.

If you want a standard grip safety, it would pay you to find a friend or rental range with one to try before you buy. If it hurts, don't buy one. It is cheaper to buy a gun with beavertail than to have one added later.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
All of my 1911's have beavertail grip safties as the web of my hand bunches up when I grip the pistol. I still have a quarter inch dia. scar from years of shooting the stock/mil. spec. grip safties. I have meaty hands and my gloves are XL or XXL. And yes, I grip my 1911's high.

Depends on the size of your hands/grip as to whether you get bit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am not subject to hammer bite but find a beavertail helpful in getting a good grip and draw, and it spreads the recoil a bit.

If you want a standard grip safety, it would pay you to find a friend or rental range with one to try before you buy. If it hurts, don't buy one. It is cheaper to buy a gun with beavertail than to have one added later.
What he said

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I have small, fat hands, I like a high grip, and I do get hammer bite from GI configurations. I like a Commander hammer (or round, or rowel, whatever name you want to call it) and a beaver tail grip safety. I know it's not the way JMB designed the pistol in 1911, but my calendar says it's 2012...and I'm not trying to pass my pistols off as originals. I don't drive a Model T, either. ;)

Shoot what you like, configured how you like...that's what matters. We have options...and that is a good thing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
1911's bite me. I file the hammer or have a commander hammer and a beavertail and I usually OK. My FNP 45 and HK 45c do not bother me although being relegated to the safe cause I'm shooting my 1911 may have something to do with it :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.