1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 357/44's I do a small roll crimp
But have not on 9mm/45's Always thought the bullet was crimped when installed tighly in the resized case Same for the 223 i load the FMJ is realy pressed in tight.
Should I look into a factor crimp die ect?
Looking for thoughts and opinions on this a thanks.

Also as far as lenth I always set my seating die by use of a factory load and checked the reloads for fitment.
Looks like some companys make a tool for that {i have not bought any reloading stuff in many years.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
9mm and .45 should both have a slight taper crimp to them, but not a roll crimp since both headspace off the case mouth. I can't remember what I crimp my 9mm reloads to, but for .45 I use the common .469"-.470". I try to flare the brass on both as little as necessary to allow me to seat the bullet just inside the case mouth and avoid shaving the sides of the bullet when seating. The flare is around .010" but varies depending on variations in case length when I reload using mixed headstamps.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I do flare the case as little as possible but how do you measure the crimp?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I measure the crimp with my calipers right at the case mouth and adjust my crimp die as needed. Be careful not to use too much pressure on the caliper dial when you make the measurement or you'll get a false-low reading.

·
Registered
170 Posts
.45 acp I use a bullet seating die then a lees factory crimp .469 to .471 my OAL is 1.25 with LSWC, with FMJ or HP I use bullet makers manual for OAL.
I from NOLA so WHO DAT

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
.45 acp I use a bullet seating die then a lees factory crimp .469 to .471 my OAL is 1.25 with LSWC, with FMJ or HP I use bullet makers manual for OAL.
I from NOLA so WHO DAT

Maybe I have been a sloppy reloader? I size all my auto brass and check lenth/trim as needed.
I have never used a case gauge or crimp dies. All I have done in the past was check OAL against a factory round with the same bullet shape.

Reason I am asking silly questions now is I see new and better things are avalible.
What brand factory crimp die to get and what calibers would it be most important for?
Also case gauge? Not sure what they call them but know they make a thing you put the loaded ammo in to check it for size instead of the use of the gun itself {as i have done in the past} Basic "No go gauge"
Will a die like this crimp from the sides like some of the 223 ammo i have seen? looking at gunbroker.com a search for crimp dies for auto handguns are no differant than the dies I have in the RCBS sets. "Resize/Deprime" then "Bell the Case" and then seat bullets. Maybe I am picky I like to clean the pockets and hand prime.
Realy looking into doing things better than I have done in tha past. As stated I have not bought dies ect in quite a long time thanks in advance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Take the barrel out of the gun your going to use and use that as a case guage.

As for crimping I swapped over to the Lee FCD a few years ago and I really like it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
In the past, I too had used factory rounds to judge the OAL of bullets. Its really not that accurate. Recently, I purchased a 10MM Dan Wesson and found out that a taper crimp was critical to proper functioning. As noted previously, the ultimate test is to insert the final product into the chamber and test fit. The entire cartridge should easily slide into and out of a chamber.

I've purchased a digital caliper and use it to test both taper crimp and OAL. Measure a factory round just at the case mouth. This will give you a good measurement to use. For the cost of about $30 it is a must have.

Robert

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've purchased a digital caliper and use it to test both taper crimp and OAL. Measure a factory round just at the case mouth. This will give you a good measurement to use. For the cost of about $30 it is a must have.

Robert
I've had the best results with a .470" mouth for jacketed and a .472" mouth for lead.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
nking- .472 will work in many guns. If it functions 100% in your guns, don't change a thing. But .472 is getting to the outer limits of what most fellas will find reliable. I want mine to measure .469-.471. I shoot nothing but lead.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
nking- .472 will work in many guns. If it functions 100% in your guns, don't change a thing. But .472 is getting to the outer limits of what most fellas will find reliable. I want mine to measure .469-.471. I shoot nothing but lead.
Those are just my numbers from my personal experience. Anybody is free to take them or leave them. I have a few pretty tight chambered 1911's that they are 100% reliable with. YMMV

Nate

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My eyes are getting old for my non digital caliper Someone On a car board sent me a coupon for Harbor frieght and it is 10 min from my home.
My wife grabed me a 30 buck one for $9.99 and the coupon. She got a flyer and looks like it will be on sale with no coupon needed thanks giving weekend for $9.99
Thanks for the info i am going to check some that are already done and see what they are.
is this what a taper crimp die does? What brand to get Lee? Hornady? ?
Thanks very much for setting me straight kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It sizes the loaded cartridge and crimps the mouth. Yes, the taper crimp is what reduces the mouth diameter back down from belling.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
340- that pic you have attached of Factory Cr Die is not the same kind of die nking uses. The one in the photo is Lee's rifle FCD. Different animal. The LFC die for pistols looks like a regular die. Has a carbide ring that not only takes the flare out. It basically resizes the loaded round. I do not use one. I use a Lyman taper crimp die that is 25yrs old. I bought it before Lee made theirs. I have never found it necessary to buy one. Many shooters do use them though. But I like my reloads just like they are. I've probly loaded & shot over 250k 45acp without a FTF. If I have a failure in my 1911's it's usually a worn out recoil spring. Or it's mag related. Not ammo related. And I don't own a case gauge in 45acp.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
340- that pic you have attached of Factory Cr Die is not the same kind of die nking uses. The one in the photo is Lee's rifle FCD. Different animal. The LFC die for pistols looks like a regular die. Has a carbide ring that not only takes the flare out. It basically resizes the loaded round. I do not use one. I use a Lyman taper crimp die that is 25yrs old. I bought it before Lee made theirs. I have never found it necessary to buy one. Many shooters do use them though. But I like my reloads just like they are. I've probly loaded & shot over 250k 45acp without a FTF. If I have a failure in my 1911's it's usually a worn out recoil spring. Or it's mag related. Not ammo related. And I don't own a case gauge in 45acp.
The carbide sizing ring has nothing to do with "taking the flare out." :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don not crimp 9mm, .38 Super or .45acp with jacketed or plated bullets.
I do not flare or expand the cases in any way. I rely on my Competition straight line seating dies (Redding) to seat the bullets without distorting the cases or scraping the bullets.
Bullet tension is greatly improved this way, (checked with dummy rounds) as the bullet is the only thing that enters the resized case. Case life should be improved too without working the case mouths in and out.
Shooting lead bullets or revolver rounds is another story.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Walter- I stand corrected. I don't use one. But the die does have a carbide ring and the die does take the flare out

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You only roll crimp a bullet with a canalur. On bullets without a canalur you taper crimp.
tc

The cannalure is irrelevant. Revolver rounds get a roll crimp, semi-auto rounds get a taper crimp because of headspacing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts