1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I came across a pre-owned 1978 6" Colt Diamondback in 22LR at one of the local gun shops. The gun seemed to be in excellent shape overall. The lettering on the barrel, however, is yellow/gold, something I had not seen before. Since I had to get back to work that day, I didn't ask them to see the gun or about the lettering.

Could one of the Colt experts around here tell me if any Diamondbacks came with this feature from the factory or if it's something a previous owner may have done?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm not a Colt expert, but I would bet the previous owner did the gold letter fill in. I recall advertising in magazines years ago about this gold stuff to "customize" your firearm. I never used any but I have seen firearms in gunshops and gun shows that have the "gold" lettering and roll marks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Back in the late 70's, we use to do a lot of the gold fill lettering on a various guns......hanguns and rifles both. It did look pretty cool on a dark blued guns, and I stll have a couple of older S&W's with it on the barrel.

It's easy to remove, as suggested, with a mild solvent and toothbrush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts