1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or does it look like the lettering dude didn't have his glasses on? Almost consider a completely naked gun but might regret Supergrade not being stamped somewhere.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Both my Wilsons, my CQB and the Professional on order, have no roll marks except for their logo behind the back cocking serrations.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Considering exactly that.
When I got my GI No Name, I liked it so much I had my CQB de-rolled and refinished in black armor.

I think the 2-3 lines of extensive roll marks on my Colts (which rarely is properly aligned) turned me off or roll marks--that and the giant lettering on my Springers and Gunsite pistol.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
My sense is that, eventually, if Wilson's continues to build guns at this (i.e. Supergrade) level, they will eventually discover that the customer base will mature somewhat, and come to prefer less of these kinds of inscriptions, rather than more. Right now, of course, they have something of the opposite situation on their hands, and a lot of folks seem to want a billboard.

The best-grade custom guns that I have purchased over the years are all very subtlety-marked, and need no introduction: either you know what you're looking at, or you don't. Reading a slide is irrelevant as looking at a hood badge on an Aston-Martin. So, until such time as things like this get relegated to places like under the grip panels, I suppose conservative dustcover markings represent a winning compromise.

I've got custom guns by John Harrison that are marked in this way (dust cover), but the inscription is quite small and very clean. In other words, attractive and completely in keeping with the theme/nature/character of the piece. In like fashion, I would probably prefer a Supergrade inscription to be smaller and more conservative than what currently passes for the norm (we've gone a bit overboard on the whole font frenzy of late), but the dust cover could certainly be a tasteful place for it. Just keep in mind that sometimes less really is more.

AC

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hate to admit it, but I like the billboard look on my CQB. Maybe I am still guilty of flaunting the fact that I actually own a Wilson.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Standard model name inscriptions aren't terribly offensive -- Wilson's actually does those quite well. I'm talking about the multiple lines of large-scale copy that we tend to see on the Supergrades rather specifically. BOOM!! LOOK AT ME!! SUPERGRADE!! Just flies in the face of the kind of understated elegance I would want in a gun built to that price point, but again, I guess we have to go back to the fact that WC is just giving the customer what he wants. It's the customer's tastes that I guess we should be wondering about.

If you have to read something on my gun to know what it is, then what's the point, really? Wouldn't the distinction be lost on you in the first place, and more to the point, does it really matter to me that everybody know that I have an über-class gun? Meh. I'll take understatement over bravado any day of the week.

AC

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think simple is classy.

IMHO Dan Wesson Valor being the best example.

Simple engraving On the dustcover with a naked slide would be ideal....

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only markings on my firearm are the serial number and prefix because by law they have to be there. I hate billboards and logo's on everything.

I ordered a BMW 2 years ago and the dealer placed their "dealer mark" on it. that cost them $500 dollars on the negotiated price because i specifically told them NOT to do it. Nothing a heat gun and goo gone couldnt remove though:rolleyes:

Bottom line, I like naked and round butts.:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I ordered a BMW 2 years ago and the dealer placed their "dealer mark" on it. that cost them $500 dollars on the negotiated price because i specifically told them NOT to do it. Nothing a heat gun and goo gone couldnt remove though:rolleyes:
I was a ///M3 and ///M5 driver for many years, and ordered both cars with no model inscription badging whatsoever. No need.

AC

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
I think Supergrade's should be marked "Supergrade" somewhere on the gun.
I think so too, and the smaller font cursive on the dust cover has grown on me a lot as I see more of them done this way. When I do order my Supergrade after the first of the year, it will be spec'ed that way, with naked slide other than the Wilson logo behind the RCS on the right side and the military police insignia on the left behind the RCS. The MP insignia is my remembrance of my service years ago.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
FWIW, I find Wilson's logo and name placements to be more tasteful than Nighthawk's. I particularly dislike NH's execution of the Falcon and GRP name/logo. Given a choice I would have the Wilson logos on both sides behind the RCS, and would have the model name in discrete non-cursive font on the dust cover.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, think that's the ticket moving forward. Logo both sides rear of slide and Supergrade on the right side dust cover and that's it. If I have something on the slide I have to have something on the other side too. Dust cover one side works.

I've evolved, my first SG I wanted Supergrade top bottom front back and on the grips.

I'm also getting back to the no cuts on the slide look. Can't go wrong really however you slice it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I must admit as a former product manager, there's a certain amount of agony at the manufacturer's level over all this. After all, your completing the detail design work on a new model, there's been years, (back in my day) of work with R&D and process engineering and management to get to this point and the whole thing could either be complimented or not with simple naming and roll marking choices.

I agree with Army Chief that less is more. The truly classy stuff is always understated. Just look at the Heirloom, Harrison and Rogers, to name but a few examples. This is the stuff Wilson Supergrades compete with.

And the name Supergrade - well I relate that to pre 64 Model 70 Winchesters, with slightly nicer wood, a plastic grip cap and fore end tip and the words super grade crudely roll marked on the magazine floor plate - super? I know thats contextual and younger buyers don't have that history, but still you have to tell me this is special? You have to tell me?

Furthermore named models get real close to becoming, hmm... for lack of a better term, "toylike"/Mattelomatic. As a former (I know there is no such thing) Marine, could I ever own a pistol thats called "Special Forces". The Springfield "Professional" is darn close to becoming a true collectible and Wilson has its own model with that name and they are different things. Whats in a name?

Naked slides work for me as potential blank canvases for future engraving. Ya know something like, you use this thing for years, going to war or as a cop and then one day decide to retire it and commemorate it, so send off to the engraver and it becomes something else, some sort of commemorating art piece. Naked slides do not work for me as a using gun. 20 years out, life takes over you're no longer young, an active duty soldier, cop or gun enthusiast, bills to pay, kids to college, retirement looms and you decide to sell. I'd argue the market will value that Wilson with Wilson Combat on the left, logo on right rear and CQB on the center right slide better than the naked slide, that was your idea at the time of what looked good.

One option Ive thought about is this. Keep the Wilson marking where they are and stay with the companies' theme. For instance, as with the CQB standard bearer, the Tactical Supergrade is now marked TSG. The Bill Wilson Carry is currently marked CQB. Well its not. The CQB is a 5", bushing barreled model. So mark the Bill Wilson Carry model BWC in lieu of CQB. Put the Wilson logo back behind the serrations. Bill Wilson can put his initials there, after all its his gun. But my initials are not BW

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
This is the first single stacker Terry Tussey ever built for me. It has his earlier logo etched into the slide. I never thought it detracted from the pistol's appearance.

BTW, those magazines are Pachmayr magazine bodies, Wolff springs and followers Terry tuned up for me specific to the gun. That 1911 never, ever, ever had a stoppage.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wanted a very clean look for my order. I went with a naked slide except for the WC logo behind the cocking serrations on both sides.

·
Registered
12,451 Posts
Both "Wilson Combat" and "SuperGrade" have special significance in the 1911 world. In a general sense, having these rollmarks on the slide will probably never go out-of-style (in normal font, and without using both of them on the same side of the slide, i.e., avoid a two-line "billboard"). For someone who is undecided, I tend to believe that these rollmarks are a good default choice.

But there is also something to be said for a pure, clean look. Generally, the people who choose this look know what they want (from much experience).

Placing "SuperGrade" and/or "Wilson Combat" on the dust cover rather than the slide is an in-between option that will understandably hold appeal to some customers. However, if this style were to become the mainstream style, it is possible that the novelty value of this style might decline to some degree. (I.e., something that's less common, but still classy, tends to attract style "points"; but if everyone begins to "do it", it loses those style points).

As I consider all of my 1911s to be built as working guns (even the one that's not actually used in that manner), these decisions as to rollmarks aren't all that critical. Thus far, I've gone with the normal rollmarks, and while it is always tempting to admire the grass on the other side of the fence, I don't think a person can go too far wrong with any of these decisions ... so, make your choice, be happy with it, and don't look back!!

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I do not think extra roll marks are needed on a Wilson, but I have seen some beautiful, tasteful additions on this forum. Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures.

Wilson is a great custom house that does fabulous work, so, if it makes a buyer happy, get exactly what you want.

I do have one John Harrison customized pistol that is engraved with my father's name, rank, and ship's name. My eight year old daughter surprised me when she told me that she wants that pistol to stay in the family when she grows up.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 76 Posts