1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the bug for a lever action-after hearing all the horror stories bout the new marlin-im a little gun shy to buy one so ive been looking toward a blr -a white gold medillion but they cant be had-went to local candy store and they had a savage lever in 308 for $600-is this a good-decent-crummy buy?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've heard the same about alot of the new Marlins but I found a sweet 1894 in 44 mag that's a newer production gun. This gun probally didn't have 50 rounds down the tube.it's also fit and finished great IMO.Im sure there's some that's not up to par but if you find one that you can look at and see for yourself I wouldn't completely write off Marlin.I'm still looking for a 1894 in .357.

I don't know anything about the savage but it's sounds interesting.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

under 500$ ...16" 44mag Rossi lever action
From my reading, if you want a new production, traditional lever action the Rossi is the way to go.

As far as the Remlins, there are plenty of resources out there telling you what to look for, eg canted front sight, poor machining, etc. buy new if you'd like, but inspect it closely before buying.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I just picked up a sweet Rossi(Puma) model 92 in 45 Colt. A perfect companion to my Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt. I'll forgive both companies for using the term Long Colt. My little gun is older mfg, ca 2002 but is like new in box only no manual. I can live. I probably spent more than I should have but retail on the gun is in the $1K range so $575 with 2 boxes of ammo felt OK to me.
My LGS gets all sorts of stuff come in "over the transom". You never know what you'll find in there.
Right now there is a 1911 series 80 Gvt model with white(probably bone but not plastic) grips, in pristine condition as in probably never fired. Showed up yesterday morning, if it is not gone tonight, I'll probably wind up with 7 1911s in the safe instead of a measly 6.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
got the bug for a lever action-after hearing all the horror stories bout the new marlin-im a little gun shy to buy one so ive been looking toward a blr -a white gold medillion but they cant be had-went to local candy store and they had a savage lever in 308 for $600-is this a good-decent-crummy buy?
Depending on the caliber you want to go with, the Rossi and Henry are relatively readily available. My buddy is waiting on a Rossi 92 in .44 mag that our local FFL has ordered.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Went to local candy store and they had a savage lever in 308 for $600-is this a good-decent-crummy buy?
Kinda hard to follow your punctuation, but we speak the same language. I got the drift. :)

The only lever action Savage in 308 that I know is the Model 99.
Made for 100 years from 1899 to 1998, they made MILLIONS of Model 99 in various calibers.

Depending upon condition, you find them in 308 from $250 to $500 all the time.

For $600, one would think yours is vintage and mint condition, maybe even
with box and papers and hang tag and everything.

Hope this helps. It's a fine rifle. I don't think I'd give 6 bills but it's up to you.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Are you adamant about new? Otherwise keep an eye out for a clean Win 94 or a real Marlin 336 (.30-30, .35 Rem .308 Marlin which is not the same as .308 Win) or 1894 in various revolver calibers.

The way to tell if it's a Marlin or a Remlin is look on the barrel near the receiver. On a Marlin you will find a JM in a circle like this:

Remlin is marked on the right side with a circle and REP or some something like that in it.

The Savage is a fine rifle. Much depends on the particular era, model, and production, as well as the overall condition as far as price. A really clean Featherweight in .308 Win might or might not be work getting at that price. Depends on the person wanting it and when the last time you saw one was. I passed on one that I probably should have gone for.

A Rossi M92 in .45 Colt can be a fine thing. Steve's Gunz can get you on your way to a seriously slick running gun if you want to go that route. You can either do it yourself with his DVD or send it to him.

I have a Rossi 92 Trapper in .357/.38 that runs just fine with both. Of the ones people have feeding issues with it's usually the .357/.38, but mine runs great and is pretty smooth as it is.

There are a LOT of lever options out there once you start looking, but many of them can get pricey on the new side. Depends too on what you really want to do with it.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I just picked up a sweet Rossi(Puma) model 92 in 45 Colt. A perfect companion to my Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt. I'll forgive both companies for using the term Long Colt. My little gun is older mfg, ca 2002 but is like new in box only no manual. I can live. I probably spent more than I should have but retail on the gun is in the $1K range so $575 with 2 boxes of ammo felt OK to me.
My LGS gets all sorts of stuff come in "over the transom". You never know what you'll find in there.
Right now there is a 1911 series 80 Gvt model with white(probably bone but not plastic) grips, in pristine condition as in probably never fired. Showed up yesterday morning, if it is not gone tonight, I'll probably wind up with 7 1911s in the safe instead of a measly 6.
I had a Rossi 92 in .357. I gave it to a friend that loved it, so I let him borrow it. He sold a horse for me, so I let him keep it. I miss that rifle and would buy another one on the spot, if available.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Don't get your shorts in a knot about Remington-Marlin (aka Remlin) problems. I think there was a transition period but I have two less than a year old, and I couldn't be more pleased with them.

45 Colt is a popular caliber, if for nothing else than cowboy shooting or those who like the feel of tradition. I lucked into a Marlin Cowboy Express which must have hidden in a warehouse for seven years. Yup! It has a JM proof mark. It loads and cranks like butter. The CAS folks prefer the 1873 Winchester action for smoothness and reliability. Uberti makes excellent 1873 clones. Recently Winchester announced a reprint of the 1873, for just a little more than the Uberti ($1100-$1200). Be prepared to wait in line.

The 1873 action won't take +P loads, and .45 Colt can be loaded to near 45-70 ballistics in the right rifle. An 1872 Winchester is the right action. Put your name on the wait list at Buds Gun Shop, and one should turn up within 6 months. Been there, done that, and glad I did.

Rossi makes an 1872 clone at half the price of a Winchester, but it will take about $200 of gunsmithing to put it in order. They have a dippy little safety in the bolt which locks the firing pin. Someone makes a peep sight to fit in the hole it leaves. You still have half-cock (or an empty chamber) for safety, which has worked for four generations.

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
Are you looking for rifle caliber lever. After rethinking that Savage is a nice lever rifle. I'ld shop around on GunsAmerica.com Armslist Gonbroker and see what they are going for. Savage makes a darn nice bolt rifle and they are a great value.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Folks discussing levers, Savage and 44 Magnum and no one's brought up the Ruger 96 in 44 Magnum .....:scratch:

I'm not sure what the intended purpose is but a Marlin 336 is pretty hard to beat. I like the 35 Remington over the 30 WCF.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a Rossi '92. Stainless steel, 24" octagon barrel. 45 Colt.
Fantastic rifle. Compliments my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in same caliber. It's quite accurate (I can consistently hit mushroom/puff balls on a hillside 100 yds away - good enough for me), and it's a real hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've heard the same about alot of the new Marlins but I found a sweet 1894 in 44 mag that's a newer production gun. This gun probally didn't have 50 rounds down the tube.it's also fit and finished great IMO.Im sure there's some that's not up to par but if you find one that you can look at and see for yourself I wouldn't completely write off Marlin.I'm still looking for a 1894 in .357.

I don't know anything about the savage but it's sounds interesting.
Almost exactly my story with a newer Marlin .44 Mag/.44 Special. Dead reliable and accurate. My first range trip I tied it up by operating the lever too slowly and pausing during the stroke, but that was due to my lever-gun ignorance and not the gun's fault.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts