1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have little or no knowledge about lever guns - except that I've realized lately that I really want one. I'm not sure why exactly. :biglaugh: Maybe it is because I want guns - and I have been thinking of buying a new rifle to celebrate my new job. :)

So - I've looked around and seen that the Marlin 1894 is popular, as is the Winchester model 94. Does anyone have experience with Henrys? For some reason the .44 rem mag in a lever gun appeals to me. Again, I'm not sure where I'm getting that idea along with that I'm not sure where I'm getting the sudden impulse to get a lever gun.

Does anyone have experience with these to throw my way? I'm guessing the gun will mostly be used to plink with (as are most of my guns, really), as well as a bit of hunting if it strikes me to hunt with a lever gun. Will I suffer in accuracy much compared to my bolt guns?

Throw some info at me, folks! Like I said I don't know much of anything about lever guns. What you say might affirm my impulse or destroy it!

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I am no expert on the Lever guns, cowboy shooting or anything for that matter :biglaugh:

I do have a Marlin 1894 C in .357 and a Winchester 94 Trapper in .44 Rem Mag.

I haven't had eith to the range yet, I have about half a dozen that haven't made the trip yet either.

Both were bought at Big 5 and Big 5, Walmart and a few other places order their inventory with somewhat cheap wood than say Sportsman's Warehouse or a normal gun shop....hence they run about $100 less when you find them on sale.

The Winchester seems to have the better finish/deeper bluing and less visable tool/machine marks on the receiver than the Marlin. The Marlin does feel a bit tighter and has a little less side to side lever slop than the Winchester

I do prefer the short barrel of the Trapper (16 Inches) but the 18 inch barrel on the Marlin is doable.

Front sites on both were hard to pick up in a hurry, just shoulder either so I replaced them witht e correct hight Marble Green Hi Vix Fiber Optic front posts.....Much better.

I couldn't live with the tacky opaque stain on either or the boxy/unfinished looking forearm on the Marlin so both where taking down, completely striped and refinished. The wood on the Winchester appears to be a Euro Beech with some fairly nice grain. The Marlin is most likely American Birch with just a touch of Tiger Striping.

Polished both up with Mothers Mag & Alum Polish and it really cleaned up the receiver surface area.

The Marlin is side eject so is supposed to be easier to scope...Hadn't planned on scoping either as they are pistol caliber plinkers with the Winchester in rotation with the M1 Carbine for HD.

The Henry's lately have been getting so iffy reviews due to a lot of plastic parts, the brass is accually some brass finish/wash that isn't wearing well.....Maybe someone will know more details on them.

Karsten

·
Registered
232 Posts
The newer Winchesters are all angle-eject, too. BTW, I'd recommend a 30/30, the ammos cheaper, when on sale, plus the 44 has a deserved reputation of being a really hard kicker.

Bob

·
Registered
361 Posts
Howdy! Well, I've owned several lever guns - Savage 99s, Marlins, and Winchesters. I really don't think the .44 Magnum "kicks" that hard in a rifle or carbine, but maybe that's just me. The idea of having a handgun/rifle combination that shoots the same cartridge is very appealing. The Marlins are very well-made, accurate, and handy rifles and carbines. If I had it all to do over again, I'd probable choose a .44 Magnum handgun and carbine to take into the backwoods. Since I handload, I'd be able to put together some loads that would be good for just about anything I would expect to encounter and hunt for. Good luck in your search; you'll have fun trying to decide which lever gun is right for you.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do the ballistics on the 30-30 compare to the 44 mag? Honestly I searched - really I did! I could find very little information.

I know that 44 mag is great for a very big range of small to large game - does 30-30 boast the same ability?

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of my favorite guns in my safe is the Winchester 94 trapper (16") in .44MAG. The gun kicks a bit but is sooo accurate! It holds a bunch of big bullets and has an unbelieveable power to weight ratio. It really is a great one. Its well worth the 300 clams I paid for it used (never fired). My friend has a Marlin shorty in .357 that is also great fun and kicks less than mine. I may get one in 357 too.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Win 94 in .44 Mag

Had one when they were a dime a dozen. Sold it for quick cash and now they're expensive. :bawling: The .44 doesn't kick hardly at all. The 30/30 not much more. Either is a good white tail round. As for ballistics, the 30/30 is better. Remember, you're comparing a rifle round to a handgun round.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hunt and kill deer with a Marlin 1894SS with a 1.5-4.5x scope. With my handloads of 270gr Gold Dots and H110, three shot groups at 100yds run around .625". I won a round at the turkey shoot last year with this gun/load. You should have seen the look on the other shooters faces :bawling: when I smoked 'em with my little carbine. One had a .270 M70, two had Rem M700 varminters in .223 and one had a bull barrel M700 in 22-250. All had huge scopes.
Ten shots of 44 Magnum, especially some 300gr hardcast will solve many social problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts