1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I had a chance to shoot a 1911, .45ACP built by Pistol Dynamics/Paul Liebenberg. Ran about 75 rounds through it during a phase of an advanced pistol class. I took a couple of pics, but I'm having problems posting the second pic.
Pistol has matte blued finish on a 70 series Colt that the owner supplied Paul. The rear sight is of Paul's design and is a close copy of the Novak, the front post has a tritium insert. The barrel bushing, magwell, grip safety, slide stop were Paul's design and manufacturered by him. Front strap was 20 lpi, sharp! Like most of his pistols, Paul recut the recoil spring tunnel. The top of the slide was serrated (20LPI) and covered the entired rounded part of the top of the slide. The trigger was crisp and light, the owner and I prefer a little heavier trigger on a carry gun, but this gun is too beautiful to be carried.
I didn't get to shoot it for accuracy at longer range, I mostly shot it at 25 yards or less. All shots were fired offhand, some while moving. The pistol didn't like my old CMC Power mags, but functioned 100% reliable with Wilson 7 and 8 round mags (new or old).

·
Super Moderator
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro for the help.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Very nice pistol..thanks for posting the photos and your observations...it is good to see current work from Pistol Dynamics..

just a note..seems to be more common for pistolsmiths to recut the scallop on the slide from the original colt and springfield radius.

·
Super Moderator
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Another one, showing the distinctive grip safety and Commander hammer.

The other side.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ricky,
Can you please elaborate on "Like most of his pistols, Paul recut the recoil spring tunnel." I'm curious about exactly what he does and what it is supposed to accomplish.
I recently received a pistol from Paul; one of his "tool" guns based on a barstock Caspian frame in hardchrome.
dubb-1, When I get around to taking a few pictures of this gun, do you think you could post them for me like you did with the Springfield? :)

·
Super Moderator
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
harrydog said:
Ricky,
Can you please elaborate on "Like most of his pistols, Paul recut the recoil spring tunnel." I'm curious about exactly what he does and what it is supposed to accomplish.
If you look at the pic., he "enlarged" or raise the upper part of the spring tunnel in the slide. I didn't ask the owner why Paul did this. Since you have dealt with Paul, maybe you can ask him for us.

·
Super Moderator
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further discussion with the owner revealed that the origin of the "ball" cut on the spring tunnel came from the early versions of the 1911. There are pics of those in the Guns & Ammo The Complete Book of the 1911.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts