1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello !

Been reloading for several years, mainly .45, .308 & 30-06.

I've got about 15K -20K reloads through my .45 dies and wondered if it's time to replace them. Today at the range, I noticed that all 3 of my 1911's would fail to RTB every once in a while. These pistols are 100% and never have issues with factory, and up until today, never with my reloads. I was thinking that maybe my sizing die may be getting worn and having an effect on feeding properly.

I'm not jumping the gun and blaming the dies totally at this point, as I cleaned the chambers good and completely went through all pistols.
Just noticed that out of 250 reloads today, I had 5 FTRB which is strange considering these pistols history regarding reliability.
So!! when do you guy's start looking at changing your sizing die ?

Thanks

Dog

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you are using carbide dies, it will be highly improbable. Have you changed the crimp or something else on the reloading routine? I would measure the rounds to see they are within specifications, but if for some other reason your rounds are getting "fat" time to time, it can be solved with Lee FCD.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, thats what it acts like, a "fat" one every now and then. I have never used a Lee FCD, do they just drop in place of my standard crimp die ?

Got to look at them, I've heard alot about them

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I second the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I use to have problems from time to time, but since I got the Lee FCD I have had zero ammo related problems. The FCD only crimps. You will still need a bullet seater die.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay, great ! I already have the seperate seating die and seperate Dillon crimp die. So I gues I can just drop in the Lee and be set ?

I looked on Lee's website and see they offer 2 crimp dies, the factory crimp die and the taper crimp die. Looke like the FCD will re-size the case again when crimping ?
Looks good to me !

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with the others, the die is probably not the culprit. I also use the Lee FCD and it gives a lot of peace of mind especially if you load for hunting and or home defense. Are you using once fired or high mileage brass when you are experiencing the problem? I use new or once fired when it absolutely must work and save the experienced cases for practice.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a combination of both once fired and multiple fired brass. This also could be an issue. But ! the issues just started this weekend :confused:

Maybe I need to re-check my die settings

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
You may want to check the problem brass for burrs or other deformities around the rim that might be causing the round to hang on the extractor - especially if it was loaded hot or multiple times.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What type of bullet are you using? Have you measured the OAL and case mouth of the ammo in question?

This is likely something as simple as a seating or crimp die that has moved because it wasn't tightened down enough, or perhaps your seating die is not seating to the correct depth due to shaved lead or wax buildup. I would inspect my setup before throwing money at the problem. I doubt you will be able to wear out those Dillon dies, but if you do they will replace it for free.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loading 185gr LSWC with 5.4gr HP38 @ 1.240
Using Hornady LNL progressive press 5 stages

Using Rcbs sizing die, flareing die and seating die
Using a Dillon taper crimp die, crimping to .069

·
Registered
170 Posts
Unless there are facts that have not been disclosed in the OP, there is no way that you can wear out a set of modern dies in 15-20K reloads. There is no way you can wear them out in double that number. You need to look to another cause for your problem.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The dies are cut (internal dimensions) to provide the external dimension of the case they are designed for.
Grab a micrometer measure the sized case to confirm dimensions. Its a simple yes or no.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look guy's, I understand that the dies have a small chance in He** to wear out. Just thought maybe someone has had issues with their dies that may play a part in the problems I'm having, like grooves, rust, debris etc....
I'm convienced it's probably a case issue, due to the fact that I load cases over & over and "mass load" my ammo. I may run 3,000 round before I clean my dies, and that may be an issue in itself.

Thanks for the replies !!!

Dog

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think the only way you would get wear us constantly sizing dirty (with grit on them) brass that acts like an abrasive on the carbide ring. I never clean my brass and find that that carbon soot acts like a lube making them go through the die even easier - plus I don't want to mess with tumbling media.

Ouside of that, the carbide is so much harder than brass or nickel that it can't really wear out. It's my understanding that a diamond griding wheel is what is used by the manufactuers to shape them in the first place.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
diecast

Dies can and do get loose, or go out of adjustment; check regularly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts