1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 will, depending on your math, mark the 20th anniversary of the H&K USP line of pistols. I have to wonder how much longer they'll remain in production, given that the USP line has been crowded out by Glock, S&W M&P, FNH FNX/FNS, PX4 Storm, Sig Sauer M11-A1/P229, and a couple other pistol lines I can't think of.

At the very least, I have to wonder if we'll see a major price reduction in the near future. $1000 for a USP Compact is pretty ridiculous.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I have to wonder how much longer they'll remain in production, given that the USP line has been crowded out by Glock, S&W M&P, FNH FNX/FNS, PX4 Storm, Sig Sauer M11-A1/P229, and a couple other pistol lines I can't think of.
Why would you wonder this?

MANY military and law enforcement agencies have contracts with H&K that extend well into this decade. I think you're forgetting there are more end-users than just the good ol' U.S. of A.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why would you wonder this?

MANY military and law enforcement agencies have contracts with H&K that extend well into this decade. I think you're forgetting there are more end-users than just the good ol' U.S. of A.
↑this. And I don't think the PX4 storm has given any manufacturer a run for their money.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
You can bet those agencies don't pay $1000 a copy either.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's clear that HK is moving beyond the USP but I don't foresee it being discontinued any time soon. To me it's a classic, and still one of the finest service-type guns you can buy. Price wise they're not all that far out of line. Right now you can get a brand new USPf9 or USP40 for $750 from the LGS.

Personally I'd love to see HK tweak the USP a little bit. If they changed the proprietary rail to a 1913 it would bump the USP back up the relevancy list a ways for most people. Giving it interchangeable back straps wouldn't be a huge undertaking, either. Obviously doing these things would probably cut into the market for their newer guns like the P30 and HK45 lines. But HK fanboys like me would add a couple more USPs to their collection!:D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I really hope they never do. In terms of a service gun, there probably isn't a better gun on the market. My USP 40 has never experienced a malfunction, despite running steel and aluminum ammo, various reloads from unknown sources, etc. It just runs. I have had my trigger group modified and it has considerably lightened both the DA and SA triggers making the gun into a fine shooter (it was already, just gooder now.) :).

As was mentioned, military contracts all over the world and a significant fan base here in the US should keep it going for quite a while to come. I love being able to carry it in cocked and locked mode so I can maintain (for me) standard practice. I'm looking forward to some cooler weather down here so I can wear a cover garment and lug the big ol' thing around some more. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when carrying it.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
H&K has never been major pistol seller and is always looking for perfection. USP, P2000, P30, every few years it is something new and better. S&W did the same withe the Sigma line then the M&P line stuck. H&K IMHO is still looking for that great pistol that they can stick with. It could have been the USP but they kept going.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You can bet those agencies don't pay $1000 a copy either.
My agency's issued weapon has been the USP 45 (full size for patrol, compact for detectives) for 14 years. We got new ones this year, and even at the agency price, they were still around $900 a piece.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
My agency's issued weapon has been the USP 45 (full size for patrol, compact for detectives) for 14 years. We got new ones this year, and even at the agency price, they were still around $900 a piece.
10% off list, is still 10%.

I don't personally believe Glocks are worth 500-600 bucks either. But H&K isn't going anywhere, anytime soon - even with a higher price point.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I agree,they aren't going to disappear anytime soon.I think it's one of their best pistols since the P7 line.

They're expensive for a reason,HK doesn't use vendors for much of anything so from conception to shipping is all done in house.Throw on export and importation and the price isn't that bad considering a good 1911 costs more,and then people throw more money into it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'm not buying that one,sounds like 2 year old crap to me.Consider the country it's about,surely there's no corruption there,no way.

So the Gov't had HK's,no big deal.You're going to find all kinds of guns in Mexico,boatloads are smuggled in all the time.I have more of a problem with Holder arming them than HK selling them guns.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2014 will, depending on your math, mark the 20th anniversary of the H&K USP line of pistols. I have to wonder how much longer they'll remain in production, given that the USP line has been crowded out by Glock, S&W M&P, FNH FNX/FNS, PX4 Storm, Sig Sauer M11-A1/P229, and a couple other pistol lines I can't think of.

At the very least, I have to wonder if we'll see a major price reduction in the near future. $1000 for a USP Compact is pretty ridiculous.
Has it?

Last I checked, Glock doesn't make a hammer fired Condition One handgun.
S&W does, but the M&P ain't it.

FNHs hammer fired guns are probably the closest competitor, but they're half again as expensive in price and are not equal to HK in build quality.

Speaking of quality, the New Sig Sauers having QC problems unheard of years back.A P229 and a USP both cost the same, but guess which piece is more likely to be a lemon?

HK built a good reputation on the USP.They'd be foolish to stop production now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Lot of options to choose from and a USP .45 Compact Tactical is still my go to all purpose SHTF gun. In my area I don't really see any signs of them slowing down or dropping off the radar, even with a fair amount of used and police trade in guns on the market. Updating the rail would be nice, but I have a adaptor. :)

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I'm not buying that one,sounds like 2 year old crap to me.Consider the country it's about,surely there's no corruption there,no way.

So the Gov't had HK's,no big deal.You're going to find all kinds of guns in Mexico,boatloads are smuggled in all the time.I have more of a problem with Holder arming them than HK selling them guns.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/germany-gun-trafficking-mexico

http://www.dw.de/investigation-closes-in-on-german-weapons-company/a-14742625-1

·
Registered
487 Posts
I gave up on any of the HK USP line a couple of years ago. Tried them and they just do not work for me. The only HKs I now own are a surplus P7 PSP and G93 rifle. There are better mousetraps out there, decaffeinated brands that taste as good as the real thing.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-talk/148000-hk-raided-alleged-bribes-mexico.html

I haven't looked hard yet but this is a thread dealing with this,but the last post was in 2012. Page 1 and I think 3 has a post from G3Kurz,he worked (may still?) for HK and knows a lot about them.He's the resident guru on all things from history,the guns from conception to being repaired,and even what's happening with new designs.

He may have hit the nail on the head,some past managers have done HK bad and this gig may just be one of them.I'm still thinking the guns went where they should and HK didn't just hand them over,but............ It has been over 2 years and I see no hard proof they did over speculation and hearsay,otherwise poo would have flew from the gov't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts