1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have virtually no experience with revolvers, but am thinking about branching out with a Ruger sp101. I know that lighter bullets are less punishing to shoot in a short barrelled .357, but have read that they cause accellerated wear of the forcing cone. What bullet weights would you guys recommend for the sp101? I wouldn't run thousands of rounds a month or anything, but I would want to shoot some for fun, not strictly protection of life and limb!

·
Registered
162 Posts
If it's only for informal target shooting and plinking, I'd use .38 Special cartridges. They are much more pleasant to shoot, and cause less wear on the revolver.
The principle difference between light and heavy bullets in factory loads is velocity.
JT

·
Registered
628 Posts
The forcing cone wear can be a problem with a S&W K-frame. It's not much of a problem with any other revolver unless you run thousands of them down the tube.
The SP-101 is quite a tough little revolver. Try any load you please as you will probably give up before it will.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I would want to use it for a secondary carry piece (for times when the 1911 Gov't is just a little too big), and I would like to find a manageable magnum loading for defensive use. As such, it seems like it would be a good idea to run magnums through it on a fairly regular basis to keep in practice with the carry ammo.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
osupoke said:
I have virtually no experience with revolvers, but am thinking about branching out with a Ruger sp101. I know that lighter bullets are less punishing to shoot in a short barrelled .357, but have read that they cause accellerated wear of the forcing cone. What bullet weights would you guys recommend for the sp101? I wouldn't run thousands of rounds a month or anything, but I would want to shoot some for fun, not strictly protection of life and limb!
osupoke,

If you decide to get the SP101 then shooting 357's is a waste. For such a short barrelled revolver you'll lose allot of bullet velocity. I'd use 38 plus P's instead. For bullet weight I'd get an assortment of different grain bullets and shoot 5 round each from the bench and looks at it's groupings. You'd be surprised in how each brand/bullet grain performs.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
125-grain .357 Magnum JHPs are harder on the gun than 158s & 180s, but not enough to seriously damage the gun unless you do it for quite a while.
I would respectfully disagree that shooting magnum loads in a short barreled 357 is a waste. You'll still get faster velocities than you would with .38 +P.
Denis

·
Registered
498 Posts
As I understand it the issue with the lighter bullets is the pressure used to drive the 125's to their high velocity. However!!! Since you're talking about a Ruger SP101 I honestly believe the worries about wearing it out using normal pressure magnums is a non-issue. Ruger stuff is slightly less fragile than an anvil. Be worried if you're handloading stuff WAAAAY over book maximums but if you're using factory stuff, you'll give up before the SP does. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sp101

I agree with Hsvhobbit 100%. If you were talking about a Smith or Taurus I would be concerned but not with a Ruger. I've owned numerous Ruger models, mostly revolvers and can attest to their durability. Rugers are rock solid and I would highly recommend anything they make and would add that they can handle any ammo you want to shoot with them. I believe some S&W small frames are advised by S&W to not shoot +P in them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts