1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TRP Stainless that is about two years old. I have not changed anything on the gun, as it is a duty gun (Alt) and our policy states that box stock is the only way it's carried.

I have been getting light primer hits on REM/UMC ball ammo as well as Winchester Ball ammo (white box).

What's the best solution here? Even though I've heard good things about springfield service, I'd hate to lose this gun for a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm assuming that you cannot change out the springs for a firmer mainspring.

Make sure the firing pin channel is clean. If that isn't it, then replace the mainspring with a stock weight spring (It may have weakened). Check the firing pin for wear.

All this is assuming the same ammo was firing fine before.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree check the firing pin channel. In addition check to ensure the overtravel screw in the trigger is not out of adjustment causing the half cock notch to brush the sear nose on the way by robbing the hammer of energy. To check this (on a unloaded gun) hold the hammer between the week hand thumb and index finger. Press the trigger controlling the fward movement with the week hand feeling for the drag on the half cock notch.. If you are unsure what to feel for easing the presser on the trigger whole performing this so that the half cock notch catches the sear allows
you to get a feel for the contact between the parts. It tacks very little amount of contact between the 2 parts to cause a light hit in a SA we are dealing with a light Titanium firing pin and a Extra
power spring. If you have contact back out the overtravel screw in the trigger 1/16 of a turn at a time until the interference is gone and add another1/16 of a turn and locktight the screw with lowstrength ( purple or blue).
out.
2011BLDR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts