1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
As many as my wife will allow.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm relatively new to the 1911 world. The issue firearm is a SA .45 Loaded Operator. Lower internals have been completely replaced (excluding ejector) with Wilson parts by a reputable gunsmith. Only modification to upper is a full length guide rod/spring, also Wilson. Also use Wilson 8rd mags if that matters.
I have as of today seen this twice. I unload the firearm of Speer 230gr Gold Dot and find that the primer has what looks like a light strike on the edge.
Weapon has had no failure in approx. 450rds since the gunsmithing. Only fired about 200 rounds prior to this and did not notice this but also did not carry it at that time.
Fired rounds have centered and good strikes (see pic). Picture is the Federal aluminum case 230gr but have same on standard brass, Winchester, Blazer ect. including the Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST/Hydra carry rounds.
Only thing I have found as a possible cause is the round hitting the ejector when unloading due to the round being blocked by the hand. I don't think I'm guilty of this, but we rarely want to blame ourselves right?
I obviously don't want to pose a safety risk and damn sure don't want to be "the one" that has a ND. So for now its back to my Glock for my EDC.
Anyways any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love this gun and for now I have a $1500 safe queen until I can afford some more time at the range to do some testing, as my gunsmith has a 3 month line as of now.
Thanks
20210122_030457.jpg 20210122_030330.jpg 20210122_034117.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
is your firing fin hanging up in the slide and possibly hitting the round while being loaded.

Test might be to "make sure gun is empty" dry fire it and slowly open the slide while looking at the firing pin area in the breech face to see if the FP is sticking out.
Also take FP stop out and manually push FP in and out to see if it hangs up anywhere in the hole in the breech etc.
Just a thought

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Can you post a picture of your breach face?
Also, check your ammo to see if that dimple is on any of your un fired cartridges! It could be a manufacturing defect.

Reactions: JamesY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post a picture of your breach face?
Also, check your ammo to see if that dimple is on any of your un fired cartridges! It could be a manufacturing defect.
I had that same suspicion after the first one I found. Checked the remainder of the ammo and all was ok. As JCC mentioned above I also checked the firing pin travel. Smooth movement and no catches at any point. Here is the breach face.
20210122_090833.jpg 20210122_090931.jpg

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would vote that it came dented that way from the factory. The firing pin or ejector would be hard pressed to hit that area. I know primer cups are soft and easy to dent. I load on a Dillon 550 and a grain of powder or a sliver of brass in the primer cup will dent a primer pretty good.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Is the matk round, like firing pin strike? I tried zooming in but lose resolution.

Choose a witness point on the ammuntion and orient all those pount up in the mag. example: ‘45’ on case head gets oriented straight up. Shoot the pistol, do your unload and note position of the indent relative to the witness orientation. That will give you a point to start looking.

Firing pin protrusion is unlikely, it would likely cause a misfeed since it would stop the cartridge from moving up the breechface. I guess it could occur if the cartridge was misfeeding and jumping off a mistuned/tensioned extractor. Have you removed firing pin and looked for a groove on it where it could be binding? Is there adequate clearance between the pin and firing pin hole in the slide? Maybe a weak spring and the cartridge slowing suddenly during the feed cycle, inertia driving the pin forward.

This pistol have a disconnector slot cut on the rail?

Reactions: JamesY

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
pull the firing pin and see if the tip is even small enough to leave that little ding... from the pics it appears to be a smaller diameter than the firing pin would make, and doesn't look round.

THen check the rest of the ammo for dings- it may have come that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the matk round, like firing pin strike? I tried zooming in but lose resolution.

Choose a witness point on the ammuntion and orient all those pount up in the mag. example: ‘45’ on case head gets oriented straight up. Shoot the pistol, do your unload and note position of the indent relative to the witness orientation. That will give you a point to start looking.

Firing pin protrusion is unlikely, it would likely cause a misfeed since it would stop the cartridge from moving up the breechface. I guess it could occur if the cartridge was misfeeding and jumping off a mistuned/tensioned extractor. Have you removed firing pin and looked for a groove on it where it could be binding? Is there adequate clearance between the pin and firing pin hole in the slide? Maybe a weak spring and the cartridge slowing suddenly during the feed cycle, inertia driving the pin forward.

This pistol have a disconnector slot cut on the rail?
The mark is somewhat but not completely round. Took a few more picture and this is about the best that shows the indent.
I like the idea of orienting the rounds and will definitely do that next time. No marks or evidence it has been catching. As far as firing pin clearance its approx. 2mm. from the breach face.
I'm definitely going to do some more test firing but based on the checks you and the others have mentioned I am leaning towards operator error and maybe the round is being pinched between or hitting the ejector when unloading.
I appreciate everyone's comments and guidance on this issue. Will be a week or so until I get back to the range. And will respond with my findings.

20210122_095256.jpg
20210122_100703.jpg 20210122_095751.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pull the firing pin and see if the tip is even small enough to leave that little ding... from the pics it appears to be a smaller diameter than the firing pin would make, and doesn't look round.

THen check the rest of the ammo for dings- it may have come that way.
Never even thought of that!! It is not small enough. So that rules out firing pin issues.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
Only thing I have found as a possible cause is the round hitting the ejector when unloading due to the round being blocked by the hand.
Are you unloading with a round still in the chamber? What is your procedure? Do you cup your hand over the ejection port to catch the round, or do you let it eject freely? I can believe it's an ejector mark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you unloading with a round still in the chamber? What is your procedure? Do you cup your hand over the ejection port to catch the round, or do you let it eject freely? I can believe it's an ejector mark.
I honestly don't know but am definitely leaning towards this being a mistake on my part at this point. Which I hate to admit but that is a easy fix rather than some wild issue with the firearm.
I'm going to try a few things next time to see if I can recreate the issue. Just weird as I've never had an issue on any of my other pistols (none are 1911s) and try to do the "cool" thing where I grab the round out of the air after ejection but on this I've never done it.
I have just been concerned as I have never seen indents on the primer like this and not sure how close I am to actually having a safety/ND issue or where it mimics a hang fire.
Been years and years but had a round cook off in my face before on a 240 from being a dumb boot so I really don't want to repeat anything like that lol.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ejectors have been known to hit primers when ejecting a loaded round. This is the reason to not have your hand over the ejection port when extracting a loaded round. Bloody hands have happened.

It may point to an extractor tension problem, allowing the round to work loose during extraction and move such that the ejector hits the primer.

While the indent looks round on the photos, does it actually have angles or flats that would match the ejector corner?

Reminder - Never - Never - Ever - have your hand over the ejection port when extracting a live round.

·
Premium Member
14,544 Posts
I believe as others that it boils down to operator error, do not block the ejection port when clearing a chambered live round. Even then it could happen if the port blocks the exit.

LOG

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thinking outside the box here, but have you inspected the mag that came out of? Could a bur, dirt, or debris have been the cause? A grain of sand pinned at the right spot could be the culprit. If it's happened twice, did it occur in the same mag?

·
Registered
392 Posts
The mark is not a light f.p. strike, since it is not round and it is almost outside of the primer pocket. If the gun has produced more than one of these rounds, I believe you are seeing the results of an inertial feed, which gets ejected after bouncing around inside the port. Live rounds appearing in your fired brass?

-S

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have serious doubts that what you are seeing is any problem with the pistol itself. Most likely, when you manually ejected the round, you had your hand over the ejection port and the slide closed before the round was clear of the port. And I'd bet the round flipped halfway and the corner of the barrel hood made the dent in the primer. This is why, when I manually eject a round, I let it fly uninhibited.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
I have gone to matches where the rule was no hand over the ejection port to clear the pistol for just that reason. And no catching the normally ejected live round.

·
Registered
21,919 Posts
I was at a match when that happened. I heard a strange muffled Blap! and turned to see a guy coming off the range with a bleeding hand. He had done the Unload and Show Clear with his hand over the ejection port when a primer aligned with his extended ejector. The Match Director trotted him off to the ER and he came back later to spectate with a heavily bandaged hand.

Don't do it.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
I committed that hand over ejection port sin ONCE during an IDPA match. Shooting a 1911 Commander in 45acp, except it was a dual slide, dual caliber gun with a 9mm ejector. Shooting a stage, gun jams, did the "tap", started the "rack" and the "bang" came immediately. Scared the bejesus out of me. Fortunately, the bullet only grazed my little finger. No blood. Voice of experience......Please do not put hand over ejection port when ejecting a live round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so I burned through way more ammo than I intended to test and re-test. Problem came down to the extractor needing just a little tweak to tighten it up.
What was happening was when clearing the weapon the round was sliding down the breech face just enough to sometimes catch. With a magazine the next round or follower was preventing this.
Kinda happy this didn't come down to operator error but it was something I wasn't willing to rule out. I definitely learned a few things about 1911's going through this.
Thanks to everyone for their insight and wisdom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts