1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Big, what is your main purpose of this gun? If it's for carry then you don't want a light rail. If it's for home defense only then it would be ok. In my opinion light rails are not nessessary and are nothing more than a fad or an excuse to spend more money. I've had my Kimber for several years. I carry it daily and use it for home defense. The thought of a light rail never entered my mind because I don't need or want it. Also on less important note, I think the light rail detracts from the look of the 1911. Enjoy your new gun!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blammo said:
Big, what is your main purpose of this gun? If it's for carry then you don't want a light rail. If it's for home defense only then it would be ok. In my opinion light rails are not nessessary and are nothing more than a fad or an excuse to spend more money. I've had my Kimber for several years. I carry it daily and use it for home defense. The thought of a light rail never entered my mind because I don't need or want it. Also on less important note, I think the light rail detracts from the look of the 1911. Enjoy your new gun!
this will be my "beater" gun. It'll serve as my back up when i'm hog hunting and when I'm out on the ranch. I have a 12ga as my HD.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If it's your back up for hog hunting, will you have enough time to switch on the light? Also at the present time, holsters for 1911 light rails can be hard to find. A back up gun or ranch gun needs to be light and free of unnessessary attachments or equipment. The full size steel 1911's are heavy enough as it is. But in the end, you must do what's best for you. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMO if you want a gun with a rail, buy a Glock or something, no need to ruin a 1911. I dont see why a civilian would need a light attached to the gun. There used to be light mounts avail that attach to the magazine, at least then you have not drilled the frame of a good gun.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dubb-1 said:
The Dawson will allow you to continue to use most of your standard holsters. That way, if you decide to carry it without the light, no big deal. In addition the only lights worth buying are Surefires, and they can be had with adapters for the Dawson.

Be well!
The only holster I'll be using for this 1911 will be a safariland 6004. I'm building a dedicated 1911 CCW in the winter :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
IMO if you want a gun with a rail, buy a Glock or something, no need to ruin a 1911. I dont see why a civilian would need a light attached to the gun. There used to be light mounts avail that attach to the magazine, at least then you have not drilled the frame of a good gun.
I have two SA TRP's, one for duty (operator with light) and one for off duty/CCW (no rail). I agree they look better without a light, but you stated you already have a safe queen, this gun sounds like you're gonna use it as a tool, in which case I'd be surprised to find out you cared about how a rail would change the looks. I've seen the Dawson rail and liked it. The Caspian looked ok too. A light attached to a gun NOT used for CCW usually seems like a good idea to me, especially if you are going to be out and about with it at night. As an aside note, IMHO, if you're looking to put a light on a pistol, it usually works best to put it on a pistol that has a rail built into it. I have a Para P14 with the old Surefire 6v light mounted to it via the extended slide stop and am less than pleased. Good luck

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not overly concerned with the asthetics, but I just don't like the idea of having something hang that much lower in the case of the dawson + adapter + surefire.

But like any true gun nut, I said f it and i'm just going to drop in a 460 rowland conversion in this one and add a mag well and use it as my dedicated hog back up. I'll build my Caspian recon like I had planed on and have the light on that one. :p

·
Registered
610 Posts
Since this isn't my carry gun, I got the rail for two reasons. First, I wanted the option of adding a Surefire X200 down the road without needing a 'smith to install an aftermarket rail. Second, the extra weight up front makes it a dream to shoot (even with +P loads).

Plus, I just wanted the MC Op with a damn rail, so there :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Surefire adapter above has eliminated the link/pin breakage issue. Also, the pistol when using a X200 will fit in the 1911/X200 Safariland 6004 holster. Very slick piece and no permanent modification. If you do want the permanent mod go with a Dawson, Caspian, or other add-on rail. Make sure to bolt and weld the piece. Just bolting won't hold up to abuse. If weight is the issue and if you can afford it go with this:

Caspian TI Recon Rail. Expensive, but worth it if you are going to carrry a light rail gun as your main sidearm with no light or with light. Price $350.00.

tac

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
tac1911shooter said:
Make sure to bolt and weld the piece. Just bolting won't hold up to abuse.
What is your source of reference for this statement? I have discussed this at length with Pat Rogers, Tim Lau, and briefly with Ned Christiansen just this summer, and although welding seems to inspire confidence, there have been no failures of the Dawson rails that were properly bolted in place as the manufacturer suggests.

Be well!

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you heat Loctite up, it comes loose really easy. I'm not to fond of holding the ole' torch over my gun though. It will come loose by force, but I've seen over powering it take out finer threadings on a few occasions.

Honestly, I'd go with the Dawson rail, or buy a new frame. The Surefire is also a preferable option if you don't mind it gouging up the finish a little bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.