1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am starting a new build and would like this one to be much lighter weight than previous rifle. what i am looking for is a good light or pencil style barrel.

i am looking for a 16'' mid length gas for recommendations from anyone with good or bad experience with any particular barrel.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pretty hard to beat Black Hole Weaponry for barrels...

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I ordered a Faxon barrel today. It is on back order now. Cost was $137...making it pretty cheap as well.

Any updates on your build? How are you liking the Faxon barrel?

My lightweight build using their 16" pencil is now weighing in at 4.9lbs with a Trijicon MRO on top of it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
you won't need more accuracy than a PSA can give you if you're trying to go pencil barrel. You can spend a fortune, and I know, I bought a JP barrel. but for a fighting or lightweight carbine, my cheapy barrels do just as well.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
you won't need more accuracy than a PSA can give you if you're trying to go pencil barrel. You can spend a fortune, and I know, I bought a JP barrel. but for a fighting or lightweight carbine, my cheapy barrels do just as well.

$137 is expensive? :scratch:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have a RedX it is a heavy barrel but they make pencil barrels. I heard good and bad about RedX usually the chambering of the barrel extension, but mine is fine and very tight groups only problem I had was the guide pin was a little mushroomed but a couple minutes with a file fixed it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just replaced my Hbar with a Faxon pencil 14.5 mid length. I pin welded a levang comp on it. Light is an understatement. Economical barrel!

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
There are MUCH better barrels available than the junk PSA puts out. While the barrels are made by FN, the front sight bases are pinned at PSA. To this day they still put out barrels with canted front sight bases. Buying a PSA barrel is a crap shoot on quality.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a BCM light weight barrel on my 14.5" AR and it is nice. I also have a Faxon 18" barrel on my 308AR and it is sweet as well. I'd say either of those two are excellent choices.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on the barrel / gun. I didn't do much shooting over the winter. After breaking in the barrel using Black Hills 69 Grain match I finally got to do a little testing. At 100 yards I got a 1" 5 shot group. I put on a Leupold Mark AR 4-12x for testing. I used the same 69 Grain. I ran 77 grain OTM Black Hills as well as 75 Hornaday. All grouped about the same. I have not went beyond 200 yards yet.

For the build I did the 16" Faxon as stated with a 15" Midwest Industries rail. Seeking lower with YHM billet upper. Giessele B-GRF. While not the top of the line a good trigger for the money. I did put KNS anti roll pins as well. I also put a T-2 buffer in the Magpul 6 position stock. I have Daniel Defense Fixed irons on it now for duty use. Iowa just legalized suppressors so now that is in the near future. Handy little rifle. Empty the gun weighs 5 pounds 6 oz.

It is a good rifle. For the money the Faxon barrel is pretty dang good. Next will have a FNH or Daniel Defense hammered forged but had to scratch the itch. I would not hesitate on buying another one but I can't make something the same twice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts