1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...anybody ever seen one?

Since the slide/barrel length is not usually a significant issue in concealment when carrying IWB, and since the longer barrel has obvious advantages for bullet velocity, and since the short OM butt gives up only one round in capacity but achieves a significant improvement in concealabilty (the protruding GM/Commander size butt tends to stick out), this would seem to be a good package for CCW, or at least an approach that SOMEBODY would have tried.

Even though it would obviously be somewhat "muzzle heavy", that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anybody ever seen or heard of such a platform? I haven't, but I'm surprised that it hasn't been tried.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The colt CCO was an officer grip Comander(4.25in. barrel) top.. There has never been a production 5in. top officer frame gun, I believe Caspian will make a frame to those dimensions, though nolinger in AL., only Ti for light weight. I have thought about the same config for myself, but have yet to decide to build it. It would look very stange, and I'm sure there has to be someone else out there that has built it before for themselves.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
One of our members, Slydlok, built one for a customer. He's got another Caspian OM frame with a long dustcover that he's thinking about building up with a 5" slide also. Sounds like a great combination to me also.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aha! So it HAS been done.

I carry a Stinger, which is the Les Baer version of the Colt CCO, and like it a lot, but the same frame with a full length slide and barrel would seem a good idea too.

I gather that you like yours, BryGuy?
How is it to actually shoot? Does it seem overly "muzzle heavy"?

Best.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I put together that particular set up for a then brand new ADA back in California. I did use Caspian frame/slide but that was a few years back. I remember I gave the gun to him for test and evaluation to get any bugs out but couldn't get it back from him long enough to put a finish on the parts.
I wished digital cameras were around back then, it turned out to be a interesting piece.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sawbones, I LOVE my C&S Kimber! Although it looks a bit muzzle heavy, it has the same balance as a fullsize. The 4/10ths of an inch of grip removed reduces weight by an ounce or so. Not any real difference.

As to reliabilty, I have put about 2,000 rounds through the gun since its rebuild. I had only one high angle feedjam in the first 20 rounds and its been 100% since. In fact, I attended LFI I in November 2002. We fired 500 rounds over two days, in pouring down rain with temps in the upper 30s. Brrrrrrrrr. Despite the weather, it ran 100%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts