1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new SA LW Operator, my first 1911, and am very impressed. I fought owning a 1911 for years but this "lightweight" model with integrated rail was enough to make me compromise. ;)

Anyway I am looking for some extra mags, I was going to just get the regular SA replacement GI mags as I have a coupon for them that came with the gun purchase, I think I can get them for about $9/each plus shipping. But I saw these wilson combat elite tactical mags that hold 8 rounds and wanted to ask your opinion on them. Here is a link:
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines_ETM.asp

So will they work? How will they fit on my gun as I know the mags that come with mine have a flat base and do not protrude out of the bottom, rather it gives the bottom of my gun a nice flat appearance. I do see higher end custom 1911s with the mag sticking out a bit but I still don't understand the point of that, it seems you would rather have a flat bottom (unless obviously you are using high caps) but I am new to the 1911 world.

One more thing, what are some good high-cap mags to get for the range?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use Chip McCormick 8 round shooting stars in my LW Operator. They can be had for about 14 bucks through Ajax grips

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver04l said:
I use Chip McCormick 8 round shooting stars in my LW Operator. They can be had for about 14 bucks through Ajax grips
Yeah those look just like the factory mags with the flat bottom so they look like they would work just fine.

I would love 8 rounders but my two basic concerns when purchasing other mags are:

1. How will it fit (specifically the bottom) with my particular gun. As it is right now with the stock mags on my LW Operator, there is a nice flat, tight, clean fit with no spaces, basically the bottom of the mag "seals" tight into the bottom of the gun with nothing protruding.

2. Will the 8 rounders be at least as reliable as the factory mags?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts