1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been recently handling some XD's. I carry a Glock 22 on duty, which I hate! My hands are small, so it does not fit well in my hand(grip).It has too much muzzle flip. I have tried the rubber grips and skateboard tape on the 22 and it just doesn't help. Still shot in the 260/300 range. I shot a .357 and .40 XD and they handled real nice. I found I shot better with them. Fit my hand well. Comparing them to Glocks they are pretty much the same size. What are your experiences with the XD's. Do you Like them? Are they Holding up in the Long haul? Any Info. would be appreciated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
no comparison...

Both Glock and XDs are polymer pistols.

They are good for ~50K rounds. (so some have reported) The XD has a grip angle similar to the 1911. The Glocks have only a trigger safety. The XD has both a grip and trigger safety. (which is why I chose it)

The firing actions are VERY similar, as are the sights.

So, is the glock worth the extra $150?

Not for me.

-Warlock

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the XD 40 and use if for my carry gun. I like it just fine.
But I have never shot a Glock, so I can't compare the two.
My XD feed my LSWC hand loads without a hitch. It also feeds the store bought ammo I use for self defense without a problem.
All in all, this has been a great gun, and the price was right.
Dave

·
Registered
222 Posts
i've had the .40 XD and found that the recoil was excessive for a full framed gun with such great ergonomics.

bought the original xd...the HS2000 recently in 9mm and absolutelly LOVE the gun. Using .40 XD mags in my 9mm increases the capacity to 15 rnds. all legally and mags are cheap at $22 ea.

If you need to carry the .40, I'd suggest renting one at the range first and see what you think of the recoil.

The 9mm on the other hand, has almost no recoil...not even shooting the Power Ball Cor Bons.

Myself was a die hard Glock fan, i've had them all, 9's .40s, .45's in all sizes.

The two don't compare when it comes to ergos and features.
Shoot one and you'll see, the XD wins the comparo hands down.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My main carry gun(CCW) is the XD 357sig, I love the gun. Shoots and handles very well. Im a .45 guy so it was a natural for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have both the XD-9 and the XD-40, both the regular 4-inch bbl. service models. I use them interchangeably as my carry guns. I've shot a Glock, and the XD's just feel better in my hand. The groups I get from a pistol rest show me both of them shoot better than I can. I don't hesitate to recommend them highly.

One test I give new pistols after I buy them is to put a full magazine in, rack the slide back, and let it ease forward. Does it feed a shell into the chamber without any hangup? Both guns pass that test for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put a Hogue Handal on my XD.40. I cut a notch in the Handall for the grip safety It handels great. The XD used to be called a
HS 2000 until SA bought it. Go to the HS 2000 forum. The onlyproblem seems to be the finnish. Many have the finish rust when carrying conceald. The type of rust on the XD is a controlled rusting process. You might look at a stainless.
It is sucha afine piece if I have to send it out to get a Gun Cote
finnish put on it for 75.00 it is still worth it.
I have had several LEO's try my XD at the range and they like it better than the Glock which is OPD's firearm.

What recoil

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Helped a friend train his wife on a newly acquired XD subcompact in 9MM recently.

The pistol has a really decent trigger all things considered.

The first time I picked it up and fired it I hammered a .16 split at 7 yards with an inch separating the rounds. Very easy to shoot. Very low recoil (slightly surprising as the bore axis seems very high) and decent sight visibility. Since I shoot 1911's the grip angle of this pistol suits me better than that of a Glock for obvious reasons. I imagine this would make a fine BUG.

Getting that 10th round in the magazine requires an Act of God but the drop-free characteristic and metal construction strikes me as good.

To my eyes it's an incredibly ugly little gun, but it certainly works. Seems like a good value. Even has a little test target included.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well, that guy is actually looking down the barrel of a Benelli 12 GA, assuming he is looking at anything at all after getting the 225 lumen beam from an M4 Surefire in the face.

(unless I screw up in which case hes looking down the pipe of an SA Pro...)

...but I hear you ;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Both work great

I have an XD in the 9mm catagory. I also have a Glock 17 which is very simular the the XD's. Both go bang everytime I pull the trigger. I like them allot.

wmrimfire,22

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
The XD has been a big seller for us since it's inception. In fact we sold more than a few Hesse's prior to that. There isn't much that I find fault with, other than the fact that it is a newer design, and Clinton says, "Only ten rounds". I would buy a .45 in a heartbeat. Just to beat the hell out of to see what kind of pistol it really is. Steve has all but fed his Glock to sharks without cleaning for over 2200 rounds.

I have received no complaints about the pistol. I would love to do a torture test for you, but I demand a .45 ACP.

Be well!

·
Registered
248 Posts
XD-9

I bought a XD-9 for my wife the other day to use as her nightstand gun so she could retire the Chief Special. I took her to the range and after teaching her about the various safety features turned her loose on a B24 target. After a few shots she became comfortable with it began shooting the center out of the target.

When she finally allowed me to put some rounds through it I was impressed. The grip angle is perfect for me and I like the trigger much better than my Glock. When I mentioned that I might want to shoot it more later she told me to "GO GET YOUR OWN":D

I guess I will go back to my local gun pusher and pick up the solid black one they just got in. If you get one I don't think you will be disappointed. Just my .02.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the Service Model XD40 and I plan to get the Subcompact XD40 which will be coming out in the next month or two. I've been very happy with the Service Model XD40 in every way. A great shooter. The Sub Compact will be used to replace my Taurus PT 111 in 9mm that's had to be sent back to Taurus twice for repair. Each time I get it back, I hate taking it to the range because I'm worried that something else will go wrong with it. The size is good for concealed carry but the reliability sucks. I'm trading it in or selling it as soon as the Sub XD40s come out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
XD-9

As previously stated in prior post I did what the wife said to do, I went back to my local gun pusher and picked up the XD-9 in all black. Now she can't say I never do what she tells me to do.:biglaugh:

Took it to the range and it shoots like a dream.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
liking XD's

Handled them some more on Sunday. All I have to say is "S#!t"! I have been carrying a Glock on duty since 1986(G17 first, then G22 in 1997) I really thought I liked the Glock.(I'm a COLT 1911 DIE HARD!) Dealt with the Glock 17's and 22's and never was very proficient with them(280's/300). As stated, I can't stand my issue Glock 22. Never qualified real well w/ it. Issues with the Glock 22(Qualifying) and nerve damage eventually made me retire from the Tact team(still in patrol). The Glocks never fit my hand well, PERIOD! The Dam thing flips in my hand etc. Recover sucks. Shot the XD's and I shot like I used to. Good groups etc. Muzzle flip/recoil was not as felt/perceived as with the Glock. I really Like the XD!!!! Fit my hand well. That little XD compact 9mm was a shooting Bi#ch! Handled real nice and shot well. The XD .40 and .357 handled great, shot well and no malfunctions. REMEMBER, I AM A COLT 1911 DIE HARD!!! Thought Glocks were a Good combat weapon!! Well, I'm a Changed man. I'm getting a XD! Hopefully a .45 XD will be here soon. I am thinking about getting the .357 XD( the .357 Glock is obnoxious to shoot!). Have any of you Changed out the .357 for a .40 barrel? Can you do it with a XD? Have any of you gone the Long Haul with a XD(20,000-30,000 Rd's)? The XD appears to be a front runner and giving Glock a run for their money. Note, this is from a local gunshop: Quote " We have been seeing alot of Glock .40's with malfunctions and breakages, We have not had a XD come back yet" That is very interesting. Any comments?

A side note, I'm not a troll. I might upset you and Springfield with this Statement. I am not at all impressed with the Springfield 1911's. I WILL stick with my COLTS! Springfield could have at least done a better Job on the WWII mil spec. That Super sized "Springfield Armory" on the slide does not fit the "WWII" era 1911's. They could have made it more "Plain Jane". Just my .02 cents worth.

But Springfield has a hit with the XD! Keep up with Customer service, support,availability and new Models, and Springfield will give Glock a run for their money. Springfield should also advertise torture tests etc. on the XD's to compete with Glock and their testaments. Time will tell. I am hoping the XD will shine!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Personally, I always found the Torture Test silly. They remind me of Cold Steels videos showing all the strange things that they do but that if you try it, will void the warranty. Monty Python material if there ever was.

I've had a HS2000 since they first hit the streets. It's had a bunch of rounds through it since then and it has never missed a beat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read in the forum before that the XD has a holster wear problem on the slide? I am thinking of getting an XD but would rather wait a bit if Springfield is going to correct it. If they do i might as well wait for the .45 when it comes out. Anyone heard if they are going to work on this problem?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts