1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got enough cash to pay off my Custom Caspian Singlestack .45 HCH ,just waiting now. Any suggestions for setting up my limited gun for steel: springs, loads, etc.

------------------
"Gun Control is Only to Protect Those in Power."

[This message has been edited by walangkatapat (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I recently attended a steel match in a nearby state and I had a blast! I think I'm hooked! I'm planning to build a 9mm 1911 with some lightening cuts for next year's match, they only do it once a year
. Any way, I used my full size Charles Daly, I put a 14# recoil spring and I used 3.2gr of Hodgdon clays on a 185gr LSWC. 'don't know the actual velocity, but it was so accurate and kicks like a .22 cal. I placed 3rd B class in limited, not bad for a first timer! 'hope this help and safe shooting!

·
Banned
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Now all I need to do is come up with the cash for a reloading press, gear, etc. At least I got the most expensive part out of the way.

------------------

·
Banned
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you had the cash what caliber limited singlestack would you shoot for steel?

------------------

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am having a LesBaer 5in slide internally lightened and fitted to my heavy dustcover .40 ltd. gun. I will chamber it in 9supercomp(9x23) and run a 88gr jhp in it with a fiber optic sight. This is the stuff for stock steel, IMHO.

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

·
Super Moderator
7,940 Posts
Originally posted by walangkatapat:
If you had the cash what caliber limited singlestack would you shoot for steel?

Either Super/TJ/Supercomp or 9x19.

Super for ease of building and keeping it running, 9x19 for the cheap brass you give to Paul Miller.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm building a 1911 just for steel challenge competition. I found a 9mm Springfield Armory slide last Sunday at the show for $50. I too can't decide yet on caliber. I'm leaning towards 9mm for ease of reloading but I've heard they can be problematic in 1911's. My other choices would be .40 cal. or .38 super.

·
Banned
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What caliber are the pros using?

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
All you folks interested in shooting steel should come to Pennsylvania! We have 9-10 regular steel matches per year at four different clubs (similar to the Steel Challenge). In addition, the Palmyra Club hosts the PSA SHOOTOUT. Six stages of falling steel, 20-30 targets per stage. Last year we had over 200 registered shooters for the two day match. Check out www.psashootout.com. Keep banging and clanging!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Steel Shooter, whats a good setup in a gun for shooting your matches. Would a gun with more then 10rds be useful? What would you use for Open? Would 9mm be fine? And lets say in a Limited gun? thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts