1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between a limited gun and an IDPA/tactical carry gun? Is there a gun or custom gun that can be used for both? Better yet what makes a limited gun legal for IDPA?

Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
A full blown limited gun would be a STI/SVI frame, with a bull barrel, tungsten guide rod, full length dustcover, 2 lbs trigger, 40 cal, hicap mags that hold 19-20 rounds, and a nice big magwell. Of course it won't be IDPA legal. IDPA prohibits the bull barrel, tungsten guide rod, full length dust cover, magwell must fit within the box, and you are stuck with 10 rounds or less.

Any IDPA gun can be used in Limited, might not be ideal, but can be used.

For SSP, a Para LDA in 9mm would be pretty good, too bad they don't make a single stack.

ESP- any single stack 40 or 10mm that holds 9 rounds, key thing 9 rounds.

CDP-any single stack 45.

The suggestions above are for gamer guns.

I think a good limited gun that can be used for IDPA would be a SVI wide body frame with a bushing barrel. You can easily swap out the big magwell for IDPA and switch to 126mm mags instead of 140mm. You will be stuck shooting ESP though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scooter. I'm going to have a gun built and I'd like to find a way that I can do as much with it as possible - IPSC/IDPA.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The best way to have a dual purpose Limited/IDPA guns is to get an STI or SV standard (not extended)frame, have the gunsmith do the full limited treatment EXCEPT for the bull barrel. The magwell can be easily taken on and off, and guide rods are also a simple swap. I belive STI will make you an Eagle in the short dustcover/bushing barrel configuration. Give them a call to find out. If not, there are many great gunsmiths who visit this board who could hook you up.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Easier yet....get a Para Ordnance P-16 Limited....use standard 10 round mags for IDPA (ESP division) and order the 140mm tubes, springs, follower and +1 base pads for use in IPSC....great gun for both right outta the box!!!!

------------------
Everyone needs something to believe in; I believe I'll have another beer!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I do shoot a P16 Limited. But it's nowhere close to out of the box. The trigger is way too heavy, so pretty much all the trigger parts get replaced. A magwell is nice to have, I have a Smith & Alexander, but it doesn't quite fit in the IDPA box, less than a 1/8" too wide.

As for mags on a Para the better option is to use stock Para mags with Dawson basepads for IPSC and stock flush pads for IDPA.

Given the choice, I would still go for a SVI gun. But I live in Kalifornia so that's not an option.

·
Registered
645 Posts
A Para P-16-40 Limited makes a good IDPA ESP Division gun. To make it into a good, competitive IPSC Limited Division gun, add the Dawson drop in magwell, a tungsten guide rod, and Dawson +4 base pads to the mags. The guide rod, magwell and base pads can be removed in minutes to shoot IDPA again.

One could also choose the Para P-14-45.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Bart and Bever on the same page! The combined wisdom is awe inspiring...just don't ask them about revolvers!

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts