1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 19 year old daughter to the range today to shoot my Kimber Ultra-Carry 45. We alternated shooting 7-round mags, and just about every time she shot, the gun jammed at least once or twice each mag. Bullets did not fully enter the chamber, and when the magazine was released, the bullet then, by itself, fully chambered. Happened that exact way probably two-dozen times. Never happended to me, once.

Limp wrist?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
yobaby said:
Took my 19 year old daughter to the range today to shoot my Kimber Ultra-Carry 45. We alternated shooting 7-round mags, and just about every time she shot, the gun jammed at least once or twice each mag. Bullets did not fully enter the chamber, and when the magazine was released, the bullet then, by itself, fully chambered. Happened that exact way probably two-dozen times. Never happended to me, once.

Limp wrist?
I call it break wristing since the gun will usually function with a limp wrist. If the shooter actually breaks his/her wrist up, not just letting the muzzle flip do it, it can cause the short stroking of the slide. They are taking some of the momentum out of the slide resulting in the short stroke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yo baby,

when you say "alternating," do you mean you two were using different magazines? or just taking turns with the same magazine? if you were using different magazines, then i would call shenanigans on the mag she was using.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Limp wristing or holding on with less grip can cause malfunctions in certain pistols, especially the Pro and Ultra size.

IMO, I believe the majority of the problem is the result of a weak recoil spring. My (NEW) CDP Pro was very senstive to limp wristing, until I swapped out the recoil spring with a Wolff XP spring. After I changed out the spring, it would never malfunction, no matter how hard I tried or how "weak" I held the gun.

Holding the gun with different wrist pressure contributes to the velocity of the slide movement, in my opinion. If the pistol is set up properly, grip or wrist pressure should not affect the cycle. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KINGZX3 said:
yo baby,

when you say "alternating," do you mean you two were using different magazines? or just taking turns with the same magazine? if you were using different magazines, then i would call shenanigans on the mag she was using.
Now that's a possibility I didn't think of (I ain't too smart). Two different mags; Kimber and Wilson Combat. I swear I was using the Wilson Combat, though, and not the supposed *problematic* Kimber mag. Have to ask her later who was using which. Thanks for the tip.

(Is such jamming typical of a *bad* mag?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
yobaby said:
Now that's a possibility I didn't think of (I ain't too smart). Two different mags; Kimber and Wilson Combat. I swear I was using the Wilson Combat, though, and not the supposed *problematic* Kimber mag. Have to ask her later who was using which. Thanks for the tip.

(Is such jamming typical of a *bad* mag?)
i don't think kimber magazines are bad by any means. perhaps i've just had really good luck, but my kimber has never ever jammed when using the "cheap" magazine that came with the gun, used. and it is no contest when saying that wilson combat makes some damn fine magazines (and everything else for that matter). but from my understanding, kimber guns are very finicky about the magazines you use with them. if i may suggest, go back to the range, figure out for sure which magazine was jamming the gun and sell it. keep us posted, or PM me, i am curious which is not working out for you.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my 20 year old niece. She got a new Ruger 9mm and it was jamming evertime she fired it. She asked me to try it so I emptied a magazine with no problem. After watching her a little closer I told her to hold it a bit tighter and try to keep the muzzle down. It fuctioned perfectly for her from then on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i may suggest, go back to the range, figure out for sure which magazine was jamming the gun and sell it. keep us posted, or PM me, i am curious which is not working out for you.
It was my daughter's technique, or lack thereof. I put 100 rounds through the Wilson Combat mag last night, the one she had problems with. Not one mis-feed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts