1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have any info/feedback on these? I have a Kimber Custom Target (black oxide) and a couple of different Sigs that I carry daily in leather rigs. I am moving on to Kydex for daily use but prefer a lined one to protect the finish. Any links would be appreciated also info on finish wear with unlined Kydex. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you use your handguns on a daily basis, you will find that leather is just as hard on the finish as kydex. The lining no matter what you have on the outside-kydex, leather, nylon; ends up with dust and dirt particles imbedded in it. This ultimately ends up scratching the finish.

FWIW, I use kydex almost exclusively. My handguns make several thousand presentations a year in the course of giving and receiving training, practice and competition. The only real wear on my 1911s has occured around the muzzle, the forward edge of the frame, and the slide stop pin on the off hand side of the pistol. Same place that they wear or wore in leather.

The linings that are applied to kydex, tend to peel off with use. This has to do with the properties that kydex has; mainly the molecular bonding is not real porous-things don't stick real well to it.

As for the sound of pistol clearing kydex; if that is a concern you have never been in a fight of flight situation. A noise that minor will not for all purposes be heard; if it is chances are it is way to late to be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,347 Posts
Frogman:
To answer your question, Wilson Combat's Tactical Assault holster is made from kydex with suede lining.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Hellwig brand holsters are nice kydex and have a suede lining. They can be found in the Brownells catalog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Safariland 5181 with a Fine-Tac finish (Kydex) is an excellent holster (suede lined). One of the finest plainclothes duty rigs. That is if you like paddles. IMO as long as you keep the inside of your holster clean, wear is kept down to a minimum reguardless of lining or lack of. I perfer lining myself however. I have a Pro-Tac holster(unlined) for my 1911s and with very few presentations my finish started to wear (blue) on the top of my slide. Granted I was in a desert enviornment so that could have come into play. Sand particles will abrade your finish.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
It seems to me that by lining a Kydex holster with any porus material such as suede you are negating two of Kydex's advantages over some other materials. The first is the ability to keep it totally clean of grit which can become imbedded in leather or suede. The second is it's not retaining moisture which can cause rusting of your gun. Stay safe, Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts