1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, between the Kuhnhausen manuals and Schuemann barrel timing instructions, I'm thoroughly confused. I definitely don't have a VIS too close issue, because I intentionally cut the VIS quite a bit less than specs, and there is no tension on the SS pin when I press on the muzzle, but there is Very little contact between the barrel and VIS when I hit the muzzle with a mallet with the slide oven about half an inch. What contact there is seems to be on the edges of the VIS, as shown in the pictures. This contact is consistent, and is on both the front and sides of the VIS.

There is clearance between the upper part of the barrel and the slide when I press up and back on the barrel, and move the slide back. When you have the barrel in the slide, it seems that the slide is keeping the barrel from seating all the way down on the barrel bed and the ramp cutout. Strangely, there still seems to be more clearance between the barrel top and slide with the slide out of the gun than in.

Schuemann says the barrel should not make any horizontal contact with any part of the frame or slide (just the VIS), and Kuhnhausen says this in one place, but the opposite in another. I'm wondering if I should clearance the slide bore, to allow the barrel to fully link down, or not. I'm using a #4 link that I elongated slightly, because the distance between the pin hole and lug surface on the barrel is .108. I also clearances the lug radius a bit.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Duh ! Here's the pictures. I ran the linkdown test 3 or 4 times, to see if the results were consistent. They were.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, I found a part in the Kuhnhausen book volume II that talks about clearancing the slide bore by up to .030". I'm going to give that a try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts