1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! I'm new here and not the most versed with 1911s, I was wondering if there was a list of 1911 makes that have ramped barrels and unramped barrels. It's been trial and error for me with an unramped threaded barrel I purchased and a handful of 1911s that have ramped frames. I know that the Remington 9mm and the RIA 9mm both have ramped frames. Thanks for your time and please be gentle haha

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Most 1911's have the ramp on the frame. There are some that come with ramped barrels, but they are not common. Somebody probably can name the guns that come with a ramped barrel, but it's not me.

On the other hand, I believe nearly all the Staccato models (mostly they are double stacks, have ramped barrels).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most 1911's have the ramp on the frame. There are some that come with ramped barrels, but they are not common. Somebody probably can name the guns that come with a ramped barrel, but it's not me.

On the other hand, I believe nearly all the Staccato models (mostly they are double stacks, have ramped barrels).

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
As a general rule, factory 45 caliber 1911’s aren’t fitted with ramped barrels. A greater portion of 9mm, 38 Super and 10mm/40 1911’s are fitted with a version of a ramped barrel. Colt IIRC uses a non ramped 9mm barrel. Not sure on Colts other non 45 offerings.
Joe

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
As a general rule, factory 45 caliber 1911’s aren’t fitted with ramped barrels. A greater portion of 9mm, 38 Super and 10mm/40 1911’s are fitted with a version of a ramped barrel. Colt IIRC uses a non ramped 9mm barrel. Not sure on Colts other non 45 offerings.
Joe
I don't think any 1911 offering from Colt has a ramped barrel.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a Springfield Ronin 4.25 in .45 ACP and a Dan Wesson Vigil 9mm. Both have ramped barrels although different designs. The only difference from a non ramped version I've noticed is the .45 won't feed H&G 68 styled bullets. Usually that design feeds in anything.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Rock Island uses Clark / Para ramps, many Springers use Wilson / Nowlin ramped barrels as did Sig 1911's and STI's. It helps to know WHICH ramp style also, having both (or all three as is the case adding the Colt in the frame ramp) for compatibility purposes is a bit of a pain.

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
...It helps to know WHICH ramp style also, having both (or all three as is the case adding the Colt in the frame ramp)...
More like 3-1/2 ramp designs - Colt/GI, Wilson/Nowlin, Clark/Para, and (the 1/2) Clark/Para/Lissner. There have been other limited use variants, but they were never production items for sale to the trade or public. <correction> As Jim noted below, there were some others available for a short period. I had forgotten about those.>

·
Registered
22,100 Posts
I think Barsto had their own design integral ramp for a while.

There were a couple of efforts towards a "supported chamber" without having to chop the frame; I think King's had one, don't recall the other brand and no longer have the book that showed it. Of course if you are content with roundnose bullets, you can get a lot of support without ramp games.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts