1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List all the most common mods done to a standard basic 45 acp 1911 for competition in Bullseye, and then in Action Shooting

·
Registered
678 Posts
How much money do you have?:hrm:

In regards to action-

Reason I ask is that I shot my custom SA for a couple years. Then bought a back up SA Loaded and added only a mag well and shot it that way for 3 years. It ran 90% as well for 30% the price. Earlier this year I had a fiber optic front sight added and the barrel cut and crowned, mainly for looks. I'd like to spend another $4-500 but it's not needed.

I'd say grip tape if nothing is on the front strap, slip on mag well and trigger job will get the job done for little $$$. Then better sights, cut front strap and the list goes on.....

Proper springs, mags dropping easily and that kind of stuff matters way more than many custom features, but shooting my custom is lots of fun and it runs smoother.

Here are the answers to me when I posted the same question-
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64374&hl=

Best,
Tony

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To give ya an idea of what I mean. . . I was told that many use a:

Sprinco full-length guide rod
Small radius firing pin stop
12 pound recoil spring
S & A magwell
Extended mag release
3-hole trigger

·
Super Moderator
7,807 Posts
Beavertail.
Wide thumb safety.
Ambi safety.
Good sights.
Trigger job.
Lots of spare mags.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Agree with most of the above. Don't forget about a lighter weight mainspring, tuned extractor, sensitized grip safety, and a progressive press.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
1. A CRISP trigger. Don't worry about the pull weight right off the bat. I would take a crisp 5lb trigger over a mushy 3lb trigger any day.

2. Useable sights. There are plenty of options out there, find the combo that's right for you. I prefer a fiber optic front with a plain black rear.

3. Grips that fit your hand. If you have grips that fit your hand well, you might find that front strap checkering or grip tape is not needed. I prefer VZ Operators on my comp guns, but to each his own.

4. Magwell. For "action" type sports (USPSA, IDPA) you will be reloading, a lot. A magwell that is beveled to match your frame will do wonders for your reloads.

Others have offered good advise. You didn't mention if you already had a 1911 or were looking to purchase one. We might be able to help you more if you gave us a specific make and model of 1911 that you own or are considering owning.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,340 Posts
Pinning the grip safety in the depressed position so that it doesn't prevent the gun from firing when you intend to fire. :)

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
1911 Modifications

Modifications to a standard 1911 for Bullseye shooting:

1) Match grade barrel and accuracy job. Gun should shoot a 50 yard 5 shot group from a rest, to at least 3" center to center, preferably better.

2) Trigger job to get a clean and crisp 3.5lb. pull.

3) Varies by shooter, but Bomar iron sights for a gun that can be used in the service pistol match and in 2700. A dot scope used only in 2700 matches.

Modifications to a standard 1911 for Action shooting:

1) Match grade barrel and accuracy job.

2) Trigger job

3) full mag well

4) extended mag release or oversized button depending on which action shooting sport

5) Wide thumb safety; ambi safety is very popular

6) Some shooters like and use fiber optic sights

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just got a Springfield Loaded Target for IDPA. I added an FO front sight, a S&A mag well and some after market grips. Oh, a bunch of good magazines.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Modifications to a standard 1911 for Bullseye shooting:

1) Match grade barrel and accuracy job. Gun should shoot a 50 yard 5 shot group from a rest, to at least 3" center to center, preferably better.

2) Trigger job to get a clean and crisp 3.5lb. pull.

3) Varies by shooter, but Bomar iron sights for a gun that can be used in the service pistol match and in 2700. A dot scope used only in 2700 matches.

Modifications to a standard 1911 for Action shooting:

1) Match grade barrel and accuracy job.

2) Trigger job

3) full mag well

4) extended mag release or oversized button depending on which action shooting sport

5) Wide thumb safety; ambi safety is very popular

6) Some shooters like and use fiber optic sights
Very nice Rich ;)

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Modifications to standard 1911 for Action Shooting

Many 1911 gun manufacturers now offer a beavertail grip safety as a standard feature. A hi rise beavertail grip safety is preferred in action shooting, since it allows a higher grip on the gun, which brings the hand closer to the axis of the bore line. This is supposed to help reduce muzzle rise and to negate the effect of the gun rotating upward during recoil.

If a standard 1911 does not have a beavertail grip safety, then this is definitely a worthy modification for action shooting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pinning the grip safety in the depressed position so that it doesn't prevent the gun from firing when you intend to fire. :)
Seems as if this would be aginst the rules since it disables a safety feature. Thats how I read the rule book anyway.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,340 Posts
Depends on the sport. Illegal in IDPA. Popular with most shooters in USPSA.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I wouldn't pin the grip safety. I'd file a bit of metal from the grip safety tab to ensure that it takes very little pressure to sufficiently clear the trigger bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts