1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since its winter outside I want to use my chrono in my garage for testing pistol rounds. My garage has florescent lights so I need to put up something different for the chrono to work. I tried using a shop lite above it but it seems very touchy about position and isn't reliable. Anybody have any simple fixes or do I have to buy the $50 lite kit for it? Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Glad you asked. It's cheap and easy and works better than factory kits.

I clamped a 60 watt light bulb (plain old ordinary incandescent) in a socket
to the top of each diffuser. Socket bought at Lowes for $2.70 each
with a cord to plug in. Works perfect, just be careful because the heat
from the bulb gets the plastic diffuser a little soft after 5 or 10 minutes.
But you probably don't need but a few minutes to shoot a string over the chrono.
Then unplug to cool off while you prepare for the next string.

With those 60 watt bulbs I don't have to shut off the fluorescents overhead
but some folks say it works more reliably to shut them off.
I guess you can experiment for yourself.

Be sure to ventilate! Primer combustion product contains organic lead compounds!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
This is a free setup I have used before. A right angle flash light and white cardboard rolled into a circle and the chrono keeps it in place.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I bought a couple of battery operated, LED work lights - the kind that fit in the palm of your hand or in an headband. I spent about $12 at Lowes for the pair. My favorite range is covered, and you need more light for the chronograph to work.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a couple of battery operated, LED work lights - the kind that fit in the palm of your hand or in an headband. I spent about $12 at Lowes for the pair. My favorite range is covered, and you need more light for the chronograph to work.
Do you have a pic?

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
I like this solution.

Yes, a pic would be nice to see how you set it up. I guess the lights just
lay on top of the plastic diffusers. Battery operated, no wire (and no heat).

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
What do you guys use as a backstop?
I do it at a range, indoor or outdoor. Backstop is there.

I usually prefer to chrono while shooting at target.
Keep a record of what velocities produce accuracy (or not).
Sometimes I chrono without target, but only while
testing new powder lot, not while developing a load.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I do it at a range, indoor or outdoor. Backstop is there.

I usually prefer to chrono while shooting at target.
Keep a record of what velocities produce accuracy (or not).
Sometimes I chrono without target, but only while
testing new powder lot, not while developing a load.
What Nick said except I don't use a target. Accuracy tests come after chrono.

I do it differently from Nick because it suits me. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
What do you guys use as a backstop?
I built a steel bullet trap.

I almost always have something as a target to shoot at. I have seen plenty of threads where people must use the chronograph itself as an aiming point...

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Since its winter outside I want to use my chrono in my garage for testing pistol rounds. My garage has florescent lights so I need to put up something different for the chrono to work. I tried using a shop lite above it but it seems very touchy about position and isn't reliable. Anybody have any simple fixes or do I have to buy the $50 lite kit for it? Thanks for any help.

If you have a Shooting Chrony rig, they make a set of lights specifically designed to work with their units for indoor applications. Don't remember the cost, but probably reasonable considering you don't have to be a backyard blacksmith cobbling something together. Time saved and all that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I built a steel bullet trap.

I almost always have something as a target to shoot at. I have seen plenty of threads where people must use the chronograph itself as an aiming point...
What calibers do you shoot in the trap and can you post pics? I've been thinking of building a better trap.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If you have a Shooting Chrony rig, they make a set of lights specifically designed to work with their units for indoor applications. Don't remember the cost, but probably reasonable considering you don't have to be a backyard blacksmith cobbling something together. Time saved and all that.
The downside of that is you need hydro. My solution is battery operated because there isn't any hydro at the area I chrono at. I carry lots of AA's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts