1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Knowing of my love of the unique and useless, Yodar gave me a neat little gun that we thoght was a Velo Dog gun. However my search on Guns of the World revealed that it does not match the pics shown.
It does appear to be Belgian or possibly French but I cannot find a definitive pic of this particular gun.
The only markings are an MA with a crown over it on the right side of the barrel the number 50 and a sideways Y with another crown over and a serial # on the bottom of the butt strap

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
There is an almost endless variety of "Velo-Dog" guns, so it is hard to say something doesn't match a picture. You don't mention the caliber, but the Velo-Dog guns were usually made for the 5.5mm Velo-Dog cartridge, which is a center fire of about .22 caliber, and had shorter barrels than the one shown.

I can't find any proof mark of a crown and "MA" or "Y", and I doubt the marks are Belgian or French; although both nations had proof laws in effect in the period when the gun would have been made, the marks would have been different. Close up pics of the marks might help.

Any other ideas or additional info would be welcome.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts