1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went to install my new Wilson stainless ambi safety on my Tisas carry, since I broke the right side lever off.

I watched a bunch of vids, read articles, and felt pretty good about installing this myself. Teardown of the 1911 is pretty easy, makes you feel like you might stand a chance.

I understood where to file to get it fitted. I was popping it together, checking, and going back to filing. Thought I was going slowly, the safety would not move to the down position. So back to filing. Popped it together again, and VOILA, it functioned. But, when I pulled the trigger moderately firm, it would bypass the safety and the hammer would drop.

I filed too much the last pass. And it didn't seem much AT ALL. After further examination, it appears I also didn't hold a flat face, and it seems a bit rounded, and it just rolls off the sear. I did a terrible thing.

59 bucks down the drain, and a lesson learned very well! I am going to get another one and try again. And go sloooooower. I reassembled using my old safety after grinding down the right stub and smoothing it, and it functions perfectly.

Finger Thumb Wood Nail Nickel

·
Administrator
76,542 Posts
Don't feel bad, most of us learned the same way. It takes very little metal removal to go from not being enough to too much.

Also only use a needle file, not a larger one. It looks to me like whatever you're using has pretty coarse teeth on it.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Jesus man, what were you using for a file :oops:

Reactions: drail

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I dug up my TS pictures as I wanted to swap out a Dan Wesson stock for a Stan Chen. Just for the experience.

If you lay the OEM TS upside down the area that needs to be filed becomes well presented.

I then took the Chen TS and orientated in the same way and set out to reproduce the angle.

Laying them out like this side-by-side its easier to see the angle you are striving for.

Once it was close, I would trial fit and function test it and then ONE more file swipe at a time and then another trial fit and function test.

Once i was happy, i used some 400 grit paper on a file to remove any tooling markets.

It worked great and the new TS is very crisp and positive off and on.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

New Stan Chen

Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design Bumper Rim

OEM Dan Wesson

Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Automotive tire Rim

Bicycle part Wood Bumper Rim Gas

Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun accessory

I then sent the gun out to Evolution for DLC and sights and while it was gone i replaced the trigger, stoned and polished all the internals and trigger bow and wet sanded the frame, TS, housing, beavertail and dust cover with super fine Scotchbright and gun oil.

End result.

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Wood Gun barrel

Reactions: Colt191145 and Moad

·
Registered
855 Posts
I dug up my TS pictures as I wanted to swap out a Dan Wesson stock for a Stan Chen. Just for the experience.

If you lay the OEM TS upside down the area that needs to be filed becomes well presented.

I then took the Chen TS and orientated in the same way and set out to reproduce the angle.

Laying them out like this side-by-side its easier to see the angle you are striving for.

Once it was close, I would trial fit and function test it and then ONE more file swipe at a time and then another trial fit and function test.

Once i was happy, i used some 400 grit paper on a file to remove any tooling markets.

It worked great and the new TS is very crisp and positive off and on.

View attachment 623065

New Stan Chen

View attachment 623067

OEM Dan Wesson

View attachment 623066

View attachment 623070

View attachment 623069

I then sent the gun out to Evolution for DLC and sights and while it was gone i replaced the trigger, stoned and polished all the internals and trigger bow and wet sanded the frame, TS, housing, beavertail and dust cover with super fine Scotchbright and gun oil.

End result.

View attachment 623071
I replaced two EGW's with the same Chen TS's.....it is a really great part in my opinion. Downside for me is, I saw this Valor earlier and just had to have that Wilson semi extended slide stop to match both.

I have to stop hanging out here.......LOL

That is one great looking Valor AZGUY1911.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I have the Wilson semi-extended slide-release on the VBOB and it matches the Chen TS quite well

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have some good news, maybe. I messed around with it this morning and I have the safety actually working. I did not have ENOUGH material removed, the safety was not moving all the way UP to safe. I watched the vids again and inspected the oem part, and after about 15 light passes/checking, the safety works. The only issue is, when you flip it UP, there is no click, it kind of has a resistance and instead of a SNAP up, it is a push up.

After using a marker, you can see the spot rubbed off where the sear is rubbing. Is it beyond fixing, or do I need to carefully remove a bit more? It SNAPS down into firing position, just not UP.

Automotive lighting Bumper Wood Helmet Auto part

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have the Wilson semi-extended slide-release on the VBOB and it matches the Chen TS quite well
Agree 100%......have one installed already and waiting on number two to arrive. I really like the look and convenience of that little extra extension.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The OEM safety without the plunger in there, is basically free to move from FIRE to SAFE. The new safety has some resistance when moving to SAFE, but it will go all the way. It seems I need to open the face up a bit, comparing the two parts, the face on the OEM part is wider/deeper. Does this sound right? Again, the safety works right now.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
With just the grip safety removed you can clearly see how the lug contacts the sear, when the hammer is cocked under main spring tension. I like to use a stone when close, to finish.

LOG

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you guys!!! I did NOT ruin the safety. I learned a lot though! I have it working, it passes all function checks! I may have taken too long, but I filed and used black marker to see the pattern, then black marker again so I could see where the sear was rubbing, then careful filing. After about 25 more repeats, IT WORKS WONDERFUL.

The initial problem was that the safety was not even going fully upwards and consequently pulling the trigger would push the safety out and go click. No more.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Good you got it done alright, OP. Nice job.
FWIW, before you start fitting the safety to the sear on your next ts fit:
1.) File smooth any imperfections off the back of the thumb safety plate. Look at your first pic. Behind and to the left of the blocking lug is some casting flash. Those kind of imperfection which could be mistaken for sear/ts loading.
2.) This goes with 1.); fit the ts to the frame only for free movement (and limits oftravel ifapplicable).
3.) Occasionally you may find the thumb safety makes contact with the plunger tube.
4.) Replace lockwork in framr and fit the sear blocking stud on the thumb safety.

Reactions: theraptur

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My next upgrade will be a trigger. I have detail stripped the gun, it is surprisingly easy to do. Certainly easier than tearing down and replacing piston and rings on a 4 stroke motocross engine!

Now do I need JUST a new trigger? I want to reduce the little bit of creep and gain some crispness, plus the stock trigger has some vertical play.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts