1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Llama 1911 a few days ago and can't wait to pick it up. I was just wondering if anybody can give me any info about Llama guns. I know its not the best, but it I'm a student and it's all I can afford right now, and besides, its better than no gun at all. How are these guns? Does anybody else have on?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I saw there MAX-I duatone and really liked the looks of it. Unfortunately after talking with somepeople, I didnt purchase it. Said it was a sub-par pistol at best. I don't have any first hand knowledge of them.

How does it shoot? You have any problems with it? Let me know maybe I will still give one a shot (no pun intended).

------------------

·
Registered
417 Posts
Best is as best does. Congratulations on your new purchase.

The Llama product is made in Spain, and does not faithfully follow the original 1911 design. As a result, not all the parts in the Llama are interchangible with a mil-spec 1911.

If you click on "Links" at the top of the page, then click on the first link in the list, it will take you to a website that has a wealth of information on the 1911, and clones. Click on "Technical Issues." It will take you to a list of articles on the 1911, one of which lists the parts that will interchange with the Llama, and those that won't.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't own one, but I've not heard much negative about them for the price. As someone stated previously, they are not 100% interchangeable with the true 1911 design. I believe the "Firestorm" brand is an identical gun to the Llama. Previously, Llama was sold under the Eagle Import banner, and today when I was looking at info on the Firestorm line, sold through SGS Imports, they also had Llama info there. Sooo.....I'm thinking they've either merged (SGS and Eagle), or have always been one and the same. Anyway, they've recently added info regarding interchageability on their website. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. My first 45 ACP was a Llama , a satin chrome full size model to be more exact. I still have it. Most of the Llamas that I have seen will require a little work to run reliably out of the box. The engagement surfaces of the extractor are usually rough and will benefit from a polishing job. Ditto for the breechface and machining marks on the frame. Most Llamas also have terrible triggers from the box. Mine wouldn't register on a RCBS trigger gauge (> 8 lbs) until the sear and hammer hooks received some treatment (now a crisp 4.5 lbs). Despite the initial problems, it hasn't barfed on any ammo in 2000+ rounds and shows no undue wear. Accuracy is in the 3 - 4" range at 25 yards with most 230 grain bullets. It should be fine until you can afford a Kimber or Springfield in a few years. Enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first 1911 was a Llama Max-I. When I pulled it out of the box, the weapon ran great.I had about a dozen FTFs in the first 300 rounds, but after I broke the pistol in and polished the feed ramp, the feed issues ceased. The only flaw the pistol had came by way on the ejection port. When you would try to eject a live round out of the weapon, the nose of the bullet would get hung-up just inside the front of the port. I used my dremel to slowly remove the offending section of the slide until unfired rounds would eject without a problem. 2,500 rounds later the pistol is still plugging along.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first 1911 was a Llama Max-I. When I pulled it out of the box, the weapon ran great.I had about a dozen FTFs in the first 300 rounds, but after I broke the pistol in and polished the feed ramp, the feed issues ceased. The only flaw the pistol had came by way on the ejection port. When you would try to eject a live round out of the weapon, the nose of the bullet would get hung-up just inside the front of the port. I used my dremel to slowly remove the offending section of the slide until unfired rounds would eject without a problem. 2,500 rounds later the pistol is still plugging along.

·
Registered
696 Posts
proudgunowner,don't sell Your Llama short.Back when I was young and first married ,I didn't have much money to buy firearms with.I was "lucky" to own an RG .22 revolver as Our house gun.At that time I would have done anything to be able to buy such a high dollar item as a Llama .45! I had the chance to fire a Llama not so long ago and found it quite satisfactory is all aspects except that it bit My hand.Not a brand problem but a design fault common to most manufactors of 1911's.(I'm among the minority that has Hammer Bite Problems.)Good luck with Your new firearm.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I went to a Pawn shop owned by the father of a friend,(you know how that is!) so I could order a para-ord p-10 for $600. I let the guy talk me into buying a Llama .45 mini-max for $300 bucks instead. Figured I could use the $300 bucks in my pocket. It was a mistake. It shot like crap out of the box and the trigger was way to heavy and when you pulled the trigger you could feel it move on the grip safety. Had to have the smith at the range do a trigger job, polish ramp and fix the safety. then the fixed sights( remember, this is a carry gun) were so off that he had to mill down the rear sight and put a new notch in it. Now it shoots ok but is like an anvil to carry. What a mistake. Lesson,,buy quality!!! and go with your first instinct. I wasn't comfortable with the purchase at the outset, but went with it anyway, fool me once,,, Anyway,,now I'm saving up for a kimber ultra-carry,,quality not savings!! If you can save up 300 bills for the Llama, you can wait a little longer for a quality piece, especially if your life depends on it. IMHO!!

------------------

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own 2 Llamas, a full size and a minimax. I also own aspringfield, and a norinco. I found nothing really wrong with my Llamas that a little work didn't solve. My barrle road back over the ramp about a 16th of an inch in the rear position, and a little work with a dremel solded that, now hydrashocks go through with no problem. My rear sight was off a tad, but apunch and mallet fixed that. Otherwise it performs well for me overall I have owned 4 llamas and been plesed with them all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am really happy to see so many Llama/FireStorm owners as opposed to the usual opposite I see elsewhere. For those that don't know, Llama is now known as FireStorm. My FireStorm is my first and only 1911. It serves its purpose and I have no gripes about it at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the bottom line is that llama is not the best but is certainly a good serviceable pistol. not to be compaired to the lorcin hi point and other low end guns as the dot com critics did on fireing line

·
Registered
39 Posts
September's issue of Gun-Tests did a review on the .45's from Llama and Firestorm.They don't accept endorsements or advertisers and they actually buy all the firearms they test.Worth looking into. www.gun-tests.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up my Llama today. It is a minimax. Heavy little guy. I think I need a new rear site though. the one I have slides left and right too easy. I pulled it right off by accident. I am going to see if they have night sites for the Llama. Does anybody know if night sites are available?

------------------
One is missfire, three is gunplay.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Some ** Wise ** gun critics once told me a while back when I decided to add to my 22 1911's, mostly S/A, Colt, RRA, Wilson Combat, IAI, Les Baer a Norinco 1911A1 for $325 they said WASTE of money, get you a real gun. Well, said Norinco this past thursday just fired it's 9,000th round. Looking at it their is little to no finish wear, as it's never seen a holster, with wear around the muzzle. No cracks what-so-ever on the frame or slide and all original parts. I just recently sent this gun off to Wilson Combat to check for any cracks or defects I may have missed and to replace all critical parts and apply a green armor-tuff finish. Don't let anyone tell you your Llama is no good, I too own one and was told the same thing, mine is now 10 years old and a VERY reliable piece, after throating and polishing the bbl I'll admit, but since then, I change all springs after 3k rounds on each gun and not a single problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a new Llama in 1979. I cut about half the hammer off so it wouldn't bite. I woked the trigger down and adapted a set of rubber grips and haven't looked back. The pistol does not feed W.C. reliably but no problem with R.N. or Silvertips.

If God hadn't meant for us to have guns. He wouldn't have sent us John Browning!

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Llama .45

I have one (Stainless Steel) and had to replace the extractor when I first bought it. Then I just started replacing everything , springs and all inner workings with Wilson Combat and some Colt parts (that would fit with some modifacation) and this piece is an excellent gun. Be patient and work out some of the flaws you may find and you will be surprised at what you end up with for home and personnal protection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts