1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Llama (used)Max I that seems to have been slightly customized. I did not get the specs on it or model # but did notice that it had an external extractor. Is this a regular feature on them now? I did not find anything on it at their web page.

The price is $250 and I thought that it would make a good plinker so I can have something else to load for.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own three, two llamas and one firestorm, that price of 250 is probably high for a used one. They shoot quite well for cheap guns. The external extractor has been standard on llamas for many years. Academy sports in Dallas was selling new ones for 239.00. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I hear good stories on new production Llama's, but like what geneh said, that price is like buying a new one. Considering it had been fiddled with, you don't know what's the real story behind it. Very seldom people will spend money on customising a gun and then sell it for a lose, unless it doesn't work right.
So bottom line, I say, just find a new one if you can.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
My "Firestorm" 45 is just fine. It shoots everytime I pull the trigger although the trigger pull is extremly heavy to say the least. When I get a chance I want to give it a trigger job. Otherwise it's been a good reliable pistol.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to check the price and model tomorrow again. I just looked at it for a minute last time I was there. I work for the company that has the pistol for sale and get an employees discount on anything they sell. The price they had on it may have been $199 instead of $299 and with my discount it would be around $160 instead of $250. I am not sure of the price they had on it. It came in as a trade in.

I will double check the model and if it was customized or if it is factory regular items. Not real familiar with the Llama brand other than they used to be a really decortated handgun back in the 80's. I remember seeing some in magazines with a lot of engraving.

Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy one in North Carolina.. I went to the web site and called all the shops in NC.. and they are either way to far away for one or they don't sell them at all...

help help...

Whiskey Moodz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey whiskey_moodz. I don't know where you are in NC but you may want to try a company SE of Charlotte. It is called Firepower. Steve Woolf, the owner, is a straight up dealer. I saw several Llamas at the CLT gunshow today on his table. He had the Firestorm pistols and other models. Give him a shout at 704 849 2828. I was considering a Firestorm myself, the compact model. They look pretty darn good, and the one I looked at had 3 dot sights. He is located in Matthews NC, which is SE of Clt. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Llama

I have a llama compact,.454 1/4 barrel,i love mine ,i put wilson combat trigger,full length guid rod,hammer,sear,sear spring,shock buffers,light & heavy recoil springs,slide stop,safty,barrel bushing,barrel link,the only problem that i have found with mine is that it is hard to find a barrel that i want.OOHHH!!!!!!!! AND GRIPS!!!!!!!,but besides that it shoots awsome i thuoght about selling mine but i dont know if i want too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In the late '70s and early '80s, I owned a Llama .380 which looked just like a 1911. I really liked the way it fit my hand, and I only remember one malfunction, a FTE on perhaps the first shot out of the box. After that it worked fine. I didn't hit things well, but I didn't shoot enough rounds to become very proficient with it either, so perhaps shouldn't place blame on the weapon. I sort of wish I still had it, or at least, something like it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've had the Llama and the Firestorms; both full and compact. They've been very reliable for me and are reasonably accurate. The only complaints I ever had was lack of aftermarket accessories (grips) and the Firestorm's rough matt finish. For the price, they are excellent choices.

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
I had a Llama full size. The ejector broke in less than 100 rounds and I could not get it to print less than 5 inches at 15 yards. Save your money and get a Springfield GI. You can still get them for less than $400 if you shop.

Deezul

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
faol said:
I've had the Llama and the Firestorms; both full and compact. They've been very reliable for me and are reasonably accurate. The only complaints I ever had was lack of aftermarket accessories (grips) and the Firestorm's rough matt finish. For the price, they are excellent choices.
Do you think there would be a problem with trying to fit a generic 1911 grip panel to it?

Regarding the finish, I was thinking of having mine refinished, if I can find a place that does a decent job without charging an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
rimfire said:
My "Firestorm" 45 is just fine. It shoots everytime I pull the trigger although the trigger pull is extremly heavy to say the least. When I get a chance I want to give it a trigger job. Otherwise it's been a good reliable pistol.

rimfire,22
Really? I thought the trigger pull on mine was perfect. Not too heavy, not too light. The only thing was I had to polish the feed ramp on mine, and I also discovered it doesn't like CCI Blazer Brass ammo. Or maybe it's just the ammo itself. It seems too easy to push the bullet deeper into the case, if you're not careful.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I see so many of these posts concerning "are they worth it" and "what can we modify". Without getting into the debait as whether they deserve to even be on earth you must ask yourself this...What would it cost me to upgrade to the next level? And What would it cost me to do it myself. Pretty soon you're going to find you spent more upgrading your Llama than it would cost you to buy a springfield. The game can be played all the way up to Ed Brown. At some point you have to realize that you can put whatever on you want, but it's still a Llama, and is still worth whatever it was before.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
garbageman said:
I am going to check the price and model tomorrow again. I just looked at it for a minute last time I was there. I work for the company that has the pistol for sale and get an employees discount on anything they sell. The price they had on it may have been $199 instead of $299 and with my discount it would be around $160 instead of $250. I am not sure of the price they had on it. It came in as a trade in.

I will double check the model and if it was customized or if it is factory regular items. Not real familiar with the Llama brand other than they used to be a really decortated handgun back in the 80's. I remember seeing some in magazines with a lot of engraving.

Thanks again
So, did you buy it, or what?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Al Lowe said:
Really? I thought the trigger pull on mine was perfect. Not too heavy, not too light. The only thing was I had to polish the feed ramp on mine, and I also discovered it doesn't like CCI Blazer Brass ammo. Or maybe it's just the ammo itself. It seems too easy to push the bullet deeper into the case, if you're not careful.
Al Lowe,
WOW! I wish I had your pistol. My trigger pull is very heavy and it causes me to go off target when I shoot it. So far I still haven't had a chance to get a trigger job yet. I'm sorry you had problems using CCI brand of ammo. I've never had ANY problem with mine on that subject. Have you considered trying a different magazine? I use Meg-Gar with good success. The one that came with the pistol I tossed it away. My feed-ramp is fine the way it is so it seems that there is some differences between your and mine. Perhaps I need to shoot mine out some. Question. How many rounds has yours been shot?
Let me know.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
rimfire said:
Al Lowe,
WOW! I wish I had your pistol. My trigger pull is very heavy and it causes me to go off target when I shoot it. So far I still haven't had a chance to get a trigger job yet. I'm sorry you had problems using CCI brand of ammo. I've never had ANY problem with mine on that subject. Have you considered trying a different magazine? I use Meg-Gar with good success. The one that came with the pistol I tossed it away. My feed-ramp is fine the way it is so it seems that there is some differences between your and mine. Perhaps I need to shoot mine out some. Question. How many rounds has yours been shot?
Let me know.

rimfire,22
After the ramp job, the magazine doesn't appear to be a problem. At least not with Wolf or American Eagle (Federal). So far I've put 227 rounds through it. Of those, 150 were CCI Blazer Brass 230 grain FMJ. Then 49 rounds of Wolf FMJ and 28 rounds of American Eagle FMJ. All the FTFs occured with CCI Blazer Brass.

I was hoping to have put more ammo through it by now, but personal problems keep getting in the way. My extra mags are Mil-Spec, and they all seem to work fine. And with the ramp job, the brass tracks on the ramp have all but disappeared.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Al Lowe said:
After the ramp job, the magazine doesn't appear to be a problem. At least not with Wolf or American Eagle (Federal). So far I've put 227 rounds through it. Of those, 150 were CCI Blazer Brass 230 grain FMJ. Then 49 rounds of Wolf FMJ and 28 rounds of American Eagle FMJ. All the FTFs occured with CCI Blazer Brass.

I was hoping to have put more ammo through it by now, but personal problems keep getting in the way. My extra mags are Mil-Spec, and they all seem to work fine. And with the ramp job, the brass tracks on the ramp have all but disappeared.
Al,

I guess your pistol is a little finicky as mine shoots good using all the brands you mentioned in your last post. The polish to your ramp did inhance it's performance so leave it as is if your reliability has increased. I wonder if the primers on the CCI's are heavy. Have you checked the primer dents? So far you and I have about/around the same amount of rounds put through our pistols. Since your trigger is much superior to mine I would keep your pistol! Despite it's negatives you still have a great house gun and a good field gun as well. I keep mine ready for those times when I hear something funny going on out near my garage LATE at night. one never knows. When I get a chance I'm gonna shoot-out my pistol some more and perhaps my trigger will get better also.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
rimfire said:
Al,

I guess your pistol is a little finicky as mine shoots good using all the brands you mentioned in your last post. The polish to your ramp did inhance it's performance so leave it as is if your reliability has increased. I wonder if the primers on the CCI's are heavy. Have you checked the primer dents? So far you and I have about/around the same amount of rounds put through our pistols. Since your trigger is much superior to mine I would keep your pistol! Despite it's negatives you still have a great house gun and a good field gun as well. I keep mine ready for those times when I hear something funny going on out near my garage LATE at night. one never knows. When I get a chance I'm gonna shoot-out my pistol some more and perhaps my trigger will get better also.

rimfire,22
My biggest complaint about the CCI Blazer Brass is how easy it is to push the bullets deeper into the case. When I first noticed that, I tried one by hand, and it went in. I also tried it with American Eagle. That didn't happen with them, or Wolf. I know a lot of people on this forum don't like Wolf brand ammo, but for me, it has worked without any problem, other than the smell. ;)

I fully intend to keep mine, although I'm seriously thinking of having it refinished. The matte black/blue finish is coming off in several places of normal wear. Mostly where the slide meets the frame, on the frame under the safety catch, and on the plug, where it contacts the barrel bushing.

The only question for me on that is what color? I'm really fond of nickel plating, and I've seen some really nice hard chrome finishes that look excellent. Then again, I've always threatened to get one of my weapons finished in pink, since I'm coordinator for the Michigan Pink Pistols. ;) But I'm not so sure it would look too well in pink.

So far though, I fully intend to keep my Firestorm. I went to a lot of trouble to figure out and correct the failure to feed problems, so now that it seems to be working better, I'm not about to throw it away. I've missed not having a .45 for the past few years, and I like the way this one feels. I don't know if the grip panels are thicker or what, but this one seems to fill my hands better than previous ones have.

That was usually my sole complaint about Gov't model .45's in the past. I have large hands, and it takes a good sized gun to fill it properly. That was my reason for going to double stack 9mm guns.

Although, now I sit here thinking about it, I can't honestly remember why I sold my last .45, unless it was because I needed the money. Which was most likely my primary reason. I've been through more than a couple of tough time periods where to survive, I had to deplete my personal armoury.

In any event, I'm keeping this one. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts