1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am posting here because this where i want the opinion from. my cousin is looking at a llama micromax for carry. he likes my ucII but can't afford one. he ran across a llama and liked the feal. is it junk or a good gun for the money? any help would be appreciated. or another 1911 in same price range.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Have him save his pennies...there isn't another gun more despised than the Llama.

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
i am posting here because this where i want the opinion from.
I understand/respect that you value the member's opinions in the Kimber forum , however I would think posting in the "Other 1911" or "General" forum would get more responses from actual owners . Just a thought .

Have him save his pennies...there isn't another gun more despised than the Llama.
That's a little harsh . I would speculate the Raven might hold that title ? Llama's aren't too bad . I've sold a few over the years .

Rock Island makes a pretty good little compact .45 that's a true 1911 design .

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
..... is it junk or a good gun for the money? ..... or another 1911 in same price range.
Personally, I consider any Llama guns as junk. If your friend is looking for an inexpensive low end 1911, then maybe he should consider a Rock Island. The one below retails for about $399.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
OK...I'll submit to Jennings, and Phoenix Arms, and AO...OK! Llama is still junk!

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
Glad you're keeping an open mind ;)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
A buddy of mine picked up a Llama Minimax 40 a while back.

It's a COPY, not a clone. Lots of things done differently, although it's pretty much a 1911....

This one had a Swartz safety that had been mis-timed, resulting in a nasty burr on the bottom of the block. That retarded the firing pin enough that the gun wouldn't fire factory loads. He had some reloads that worked, sometimes....

We fixed it....

The price was right, but that's really the only excuse.

Springfield also has some inexpensive 1911's if you don't mind "pure GI". Plenty of good 1911s around used too....

My vote for the Llama is that if somebody gives you one, it's not bad. Probably make a half-decent truck gun too, if you're up to setting it up.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Moved this to "Other 1911's"

·
Registered
225 Posts
What is the price of the Llama? Mine has the smoothest action(trigger pull and hammer cock) of any 1911 I have owned or fired or dry fired and no I dont dry fire this gun much. I have only dry fired this gun twice and released the slide once. I will be sure to tell you how it fires this Saturday. I will try FMJ and HP but I dont think I will try any +p in it since mine is a older model. I mean this Llama has a trigger and hammer cock that can only be described as ''butter'' :rock:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why did you move this? i posted this here because i am a kimber owner and my cousin likes my kimber. i want to know how it compares to kimbers. is this the wrong place to do that or is it just your opinion????

·
Registered
439 Posts
llama

I have a mini max 45 llama that functions great , I must be lucky, it handles fmj, cast r.n, and those coffee cup hollow poiints .
Only failure to feed with some reloads that were too long.
I am sorry to see the company closed.Also have a star m 40 that is a dream to shoot ,it has some nice features ,safety that allows operating the slide with safety on,tapered mag well. it is a modified 1911 design.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Llama's and Star's seem to be great guns but ill bet most of the problems come from ones that have been shot to death and should be burried:biglaugh:
Ill bet you a new Llama/Star would work flawlessly, and one of the best 9mm handguns i have ever shot was a Star Firestar 9mm:rock:

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
why did you move this? i posted this here because i am a kimber owner and my cousin likes my kimber. i want to know how it compares to kimbers. is this the wrong place to do that or is it just your opinion????
You serious ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBER4141

You serious ?
im pretty sure if the people at kimber heard you say that they would make you give back your kimber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh:

in all seriousness, most people post all over the forum, not just in their favorite part. i currently only own a springer, but i post in kimber and colt and a lot of the others because ive either had experiance with them or just because i like to browse....

for what its worth, my brother has had several kimbers, i had one, and he had a llama ( was almost give to him!) the short answer is they dont compare to kimbers. would be like comparing a.. well.. beats me...

a llama is a cheaper, " i only have 100 bucks but need a gun to keep the boogeyman away" sort of gun. i dont think im alone in those thoughts.. no matter where you post. (unless llama has a forum somewhere powered by etcha sketch)

good luck to you

russel
SDMF

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
i am posting here because this where i want the opinion from. my cousin is looking at a llama micromax for carry. he likes my ucII but can't afford one. he ran across a llama and liked the feal. is it junk or a good gun for the money? any help would be appreciated. or another 1911 in same price range.
I moved it here because you weren't asking opinions about a Kimber. You were asking opinions about a Llama. Merely mentioning a Kimber in a post doesn't make it fit in the Kimber section.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have never seen a llama that was very acurite.one example is my brothers.he is a pistol shooter i am the rifle shooter so when he tells me he cant hit a target the size of his front door from across his living room i trust his say so.but it was reliable.thats my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.