1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Llama Max I .45 steel framed commander sized pistol. I know that there are mixed opinions about Llamas but I got a bargain that I couldn't pass up. This pistol works pretty good though, at least with hardballs. All I plan on doing to it is a trigger job. Does anyone know anything about the steel in these guns? Are the parts hardened all the way through or are they surface hardened. The last Llama that I owned was back in the early 70s. It was a good gun but I didn't keep it long. Any thoughts or experiences on Llamas built in the last several years would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I owned a LLAMA .380 about 10 yrs. ago. It was the first gun of my own. It was a good shooter and I owned it for about a year and a half. They are'nt top notch material quality. Meaning the steel is'nt the best available. Softer material means it won't last as long as a Colt, Ruger, S&W, but do you care. As long as it shoots good, no big deal right? I would buy another one if the opportunity came.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey REDZONE how can you tell if a gun has soft or low quality steel? Is there an easy way to determine this? Could it be lack of or poor heat treating. I have heard this said about several guns in the past and have often wondered how to tell.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Metalurgists use a punch to determine metal hardness. And a sample of the metal to determine the composition. Do you want to destroy your gun for either of these? I would'nt worry about it to much. Just shoot it and keep it clean. But if you want a customized gun buy a better one. As it is expensive and you would'nt want to compromise on a low end gun. Which means not only on quality, but on resale value too. If you want a better gun and want to sell the Llama I will buy it for market value.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ya know for years llama took a bad rap from the ruby revolvers from wayyyyyyyy back.i shoot an ix-a and its completely accurate,ive installed a colt link,did a trigger and crown job and some polish work to it.the bore has a little light pitting but for a commander sized frame its 100% dependable now thanx to the hand cut extractor i cut for it and a little work,in fact its taken the same or less work than some colts i owned new or used and shoots a better group.hmmmmmmmm many rounds and over 25 years old and still going strong,no frame or slide wear and i shoot alot as well.see my sight on the llama.
lottsa stuff.they are made from forgings ala ruger then machined up.maybe if more people owned them then they could say how good they really are...... http://members.fortunecity.com/oldvalkyry/llama.html

[This message has been edited by old hawk (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like mine also. I bought it real cheap too. Mine does need a tighter barrel bushing and perhaps a barrel link also. I did polish the feed ramp though. I think that Llamas are one of the few bargains in the 1911 world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts