1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by a local gun shop today and was just browsing around when I came upon a Colt AR model 6815-14 for a price of $1,700. I would like to have a Colt AR (along with a dozen other guns on my wish list) but the pricing has so far kept me from purchasing one. Well then I come upon a LMT AR in the Defender 2000 model for $888.00 and thought "for this price I would take the LMT over the Colt every day". So my question is "isn't the LMT a very nicely made AR and for that price defference shouldn't I take the LMT?"

Not trying to start that "Colt vs. this brand or that" type of thread but just asking out loud so to speak that an LMT is a quality made AR and for about half the price of the Colt I should feel good about picking the LMT.

And for comment sake as of right now I only plan on using either AR for general shooting purposes. No combat school or such at the moment. I do plan on shooting quite a bit though.

Is that about right on the pricing for both models by the way?

Thanks,
NJ

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Buy the LMT with confidence. That Colt price seems pretty high right now unless they had a ton of options on it. The LMT is equal in almost all respects to Colt.

I say get the LMT and enjoy! The LMT will take what ever any gun school can dish out.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I would agree with dc. Seems like a no brainer. $888 pretty good price. Prices are dropping. I agree the price on the colt seems high.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
IMHO LMT is the best made. Buy the LMT....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great!

Thanks for the help and advice. Both were base models with no options on either. I guess I was just so surprised by the price difference between the two I couldn't believe it. Kinda like "is this right? Is something up here that I don't know about?" I would have thought the LMT would have been a much higher price. They had Bushmasters and Sabers that were priced higher than the LMT. Does anyone know much about the Defender 2000 model in itself? It had a 16 1/2 barrel.

As a side note it was the only LMT they had by the way but they only had 3 Colts as well. I guess gun shops are buying/stocking any AR's they can get their hands on these days? It was a new rifle but I don't think they are an LMT dealer per say. They are a high volume shop though and have been for years.

Any other advice would be great to hear.

Thank again!
NJ

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
That is a great price for an LMT. For me, nothing touches an LMT (or Noveske). And remember, only Colt, FN, and LMT have access to the actual technical data package for the M4 so far..

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Go get it or tell me where I can :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
The LMT is equal in almost all respects to Colt.

Asking an honest question and not starting a P-war about brand names, what would you list as the differences ("almost all") between the two?

LMT has always been highly recommended around here, but I can't specifically say as to why.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Asking an honest question and not starting a P-war about brand names, what would you list as the differences ("almost all") between the two?

LMT has always been highly recommended around here, but I can't specifically say as to why.

Regards,
Greyson
LMT makes an excellent AR that I would carry into harms way without worry. That being said the 'Gold Standard' is the Colt 6920. There are minor differences with the LMT and some of them vary with model. According to the infamous 'Chart':
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

LMT-
Semi auto BCG
No finish under the FSB
No H-buffer
single heat shield hand guards

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I stopped by a local gun shop today and was just browsing around when I came upon a Colt AR model 6815-14 for a price of $1,700. I would like to have a Colt AR (along with a dozen other guns on my wish list) but the pricing has so far kept me from purchasing one. Well then I come upon a LMT AR in the Defender 2000 model for $888.00 and thought "for this price I would take the LMT over the Colt every day". So my question is "isn't the LMT a very nicely made AR and for that price defference shouldn't I take the LMT?"
I can say only two things about LMTs: 1) I've heard only good things about them, and 2) I've never encountered an LMT at that low of a price. If that's a new rifle, that's a great deal.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
LMT makes an excellent AR that I would carry into harms way without worry. That being said the 'Gold Standard' is the Colt 6920. There are minor differences with the LMT and some of them vary with model. According to the infamous 'Chart':
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

LMT-
Semi auto BCG
No finish under the FSB
No H-buffer
single heat shield hand guards
Mine actually came from the dealer with a full auto bcg, and an H2 buffer. Haven't messed with the FSB yet to see if it's parked underneath.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Mine actually came from the dealer with a full auto bcg, and an H2 buffer. Haven't messed with the FSB yet to see if it's parked underneath.
I think LMT and BCM are best buys. I'm sure some models are Mil-Spec just like the Colt, however, I couldn't tell you which ones. I prefer auto BCGs but as long as the bolt is Mil-Spec I could care less as long as it is reliable.

LMT bolts are MS so it's all good.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
All of BCM's stuff is mil-spec. It is very good to go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found 2 LMT's on GB

Just checking on-line prices and found 2 LMT Defender 2000's on Gun Broker for a "buy now" price of $975.00 so I guess the local guy still has a very good price on his but they can be had for less than a grand. Looks like I'm going to have to pony up some funds and buy that one before someone else does.
Somewhere in this thread it was stated that prices are dropping for AR's and I guess that's case now huh?

Quick 2nd question? I have a Stag lower and a older Colt upper AR right now and I'm going to try and sell it to a friend, what is a "ballpark" price to ask for it? It is in very good shape and shoots well it just doesn't have any of the "bells-n-whistles" some of these newer AR's have on them. I was guessing somewhere in the $550 to $650 range? Too high or low?

Thanks,
NJ

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mention Daniel Defenses XV. Very nice M4gery. Tier 1 components. Good to go from factory. about $1200 right now with a $250 rebate in DD products. A very good offer on a very good product. At least check them out. Certainly on par with BCM, LMT or Colt. May actually be a little ahead of that particular LMT model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts