1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a load to duplicate issue Ball, preferably using Win 231?

Any thoughts on duplicating Match Ball?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Winchester lists 5.7/231 with the 230 fmj to give 830 fps, which duplicates their ball load.

Match ball is the same, unless you are talking about the 185 fmj load at 780 fps. For that load, 5.1/231 should do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The original factory load was 5 grains bulleye with 230fmj. It is still a good load today. KLN's quoted load with w231 is what I currently use when loading ball.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information guys. One additional question---will a double charge (11.4 gr) of Win 231 overflow the case so that a double charge would be noticable?

The 5.7 gr of Win 231 is the load I was using several years back so I'm trying to remember the little details for when I start loading again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by barbrady:
Thanks for the information guys. One additional question---will a double charge (11.4 gr) of Win 231 overflow the case so that a double charge would be noticable?

The 5.7 gr of Win 231 is the load I was using several years back so I'm trying to remember the little details for when I start loading again.
No sir. It is noticeable if you're watching the charged case, and ought to set off the powder sensor in a Dillon 650/1050, but it will not overflow the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts