1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably old for you guys but I'm new to the forum and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for in the way of an answer. I recently bought a 9mm Loaded ss Target. I like the gun alot. The trigger is better than my Baer Premier II if you can believe that! The Baer has the 1 1/2" guarantee and even I can shoot it well. The Springfield also shoots good groups but from what I have read on this forum it could do better. I was thinking about the NM bushing and maybe the barrel also. Is this combo available as a unit from Springfield(already fitted) so I can just change it out? If so, does anyone know the cost? Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
welcome to the forum.

how far are you doing your shooting. the 1.5" on the Baer is at 50yards.
the bushing on my 9mm Target Loaded was loose, replaced it with a Ed Brown, and now it's nice & tight. if you get a new barrel, it will have to be fit.

here's a pic of mine.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Have a EGW thick flange angled bore bushing fit to your barrel and it'll tighten up groups for sure. Speaking of groups what size are you getting? Factory loads? reloads? grn weight and brands?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome to the forum.

how far are you doing your shooting. the 1.5" on the Baer is at 50yards.
the bushing on my 9mm Target Loaded was loose, replaced it with a Ed Brown, and now it's nice & tight. if you get a new barrel, it will have to be fit.

here's a pic of mine.

Getting around 3" groups offhand at 25 yards but I'm not good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a EGW thick flange angled bore bushing fit to your barrel and it'll tighten up groups for sure. Speaking of groups what size are you getting? Factory loads? reloads? grn weight and brands?
Shooting Win. 115 SXZ9 training loads that I had to order online. Can't get any ammo here. Bad situation with ammo nowdays.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Shooting Win. 115 SXZ9 training loads that I had to order online. Can't get any ammo here. Bad situation with ammo nowdays.
Before ya get too worried you might want to try other brands of ammo because certain brands will shoot differently of the same weight and profile. Whenever you look in a magazine at accuracy results you'll see the same weight different brands shooting quite differently.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
To address the ORIGINAL question. No, you can not order a NM bushing and match barrel and just drop it into you weapon. The bushing will be fitted to the barrel but then it will need to be fitted to you individual slide. The barrel will be oversized in the critical lockup areas and again need to be fitted to you individual weapon.

As far as what kind of accuracy you can expect, have you shot off a rest? Sandbags, Ramson or other? Shooting off hand is a test of the shooter, not the gun. Remember, 95% of all guns are more accurate then 95% of all shooters. Test the gun off of a solid rest with different ammo in order to establish some sort of baseline. Then look at your offhand groups. Lets say your rested groups are 1 1/2 at 25 yards, and your offhand groups are like you said 3 inches at 25. Now, as you become more familar with the weapon and such your groups should shrink down. Once you consistently approach the size of your rested groups THEN you can think about a barrel/bushing upgrade.

By the way, 3 inches at 25 is not bad. While PPC/Bullseye guys may laugh most people can not shoot that well at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts